Kyle's new project

Rock Taco

So some us were having a discussion this weekend about what Kyle's next project car should be. So I thought I would start a post to get some input from others. So here is some of the criteria. Kyle please correct me if I am mistaken.

something sporty
Rear wheel drive or all wheel drive
Less than 10k prefer 6-7k
something fun to drive but still a good DD.
Needs to get better than 20mpg and capable of long road trips(comfortable and dependable)
Manual Transmission (per Steve)

Here are a few that have been tossed out. (The exact models pictured may not be under that 10k price point.)

Mazda Miata

1990_Mazda_Monster_Miata_Ford_V8_Roadster_Rear_1.jpg

Mazda RX3

1973_mazda_rx-3-pic-4101363659352713039.jpeg

Datsun 510

Datsun510Gold.jpg

Nissan 300z

1990_nissan_300zx_2910_99490777184167695.jpg

Nissan 240sx

1996_nissan_240sx-pic-39444.jpeg

Subaru WRX or the like.

2004_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti_4_dr_turbo_awd_sedan-pic-4486027392819597435.jpeg

VW Golf GTI or TDI

Volkswagen_wallpapers_382.jpg

So lets see some of your ideas. If you know if any throw them out here as well.

Last edited:

Rock Taco

Here are a couple more since our discussion.

Datsun 1600 or 2000

1968_Nissan_Datsun_2000_Fairlady_Passenger_Front_1.jpg

70's BMW 2002
bmw-2002ti-08.jpg

Last edited:

Caleb

GTIs are super fun, but I doubt he'd find something worthwhile in that body style in the price range. I like that 510 and the RX3. I wouldn't want them for a daily driver but for a project car they'd be fun.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Most of those make me excited. Having owned 5 Miatas I can tell you they are easy to find, very reliable, easy to double the hp, and you won't cry if it gets a bit beat up because body panels are easy to get. Did I mention easy to double the hp, if you haven't ever driven a very balanced 2300lb car with 230-250whp you really need to. Not to mention most folks will not try to race you at every light like they would in most of the other cars you listed.

Cascadia

Undecided
Except there's not one for 10 k or less. And will be way over 10k once it's modded.

I also love the mr2 and plan on owning one someday for fun.

Our '03 Audi TT was probably our favorite car we've owned with the awd, 6 speed manual and stock 225 hp. We will have one of these back in our garage someday also.

193kyle

Thanks guys! Some great ideas for sure. I really like the 510s but that might be a little too much of a project right now, and probably not a great dd. Keep the suggestions coming.

193kyle

Forgot to mention: I want something fun to drive but still a good DD. Needs to get better than 20mpg and capable of long road trips(comfortable and dependable).

sixstringsteve

I also think a BMW E30 would be a fantastic car. RWD, bulletproof engines, and cheap. They have a near 50/50 weight distribution, and tons of aftermarket.