Kyle's new project

193kyle

Kyle, I called the guy on the 510. He has had it for 8 years and most of the time it has sat in storage. It runs and drives but needs to have the carbs synced. I made an appointment to go look at it for this sat. He is out of town until then anyways. If you want to go let me know. I wanna go look at it just to see if I like them as much as I think I do. :D

Well, if you're gonna go look at it, you might as well just buy it for me....:D

sixstringsteve

The Nissan L series of automobile engines ranged from 1.3 L to 2.8 L in both inline-four and inline-six configurations and were produced from 1967 through 1986. This was the engine of the Datsun 240Z sports car as well as the Datsun 510 and the first Nissan Maxima. These engines are known for their extreme reliability, durability, and parts interchangeability. It is a two-valves per cylinder SOHC non-crossflow engine, with an iron block and an aluminium head. The four-cylinder L series engines were replaced with the Z series and later the CA series, while the six-cylinder L series engines were replaced with the VG series and RB series.

L20B
The L20B was a 1,952 cc (85.0 x 86.0 mm) engine produced from 1974 through 1985. It produces 110 hp (82 kW) in 1974-75 form with 112 lb·ft (152 N·m) of torque as installed in the Datsun 610 and 97 hp (72 kW) in 1977-78 form with 102 lb·ft (138 N·m) of torque as installed in the 200SX.[1] The L20B engine introduced larger-diameter (60 mm) main bearings while retaining a fully counterweighted crankshaft. The U60 crankshaft also ushered in the use of a six-bolt flywheel boss. The block introduced a taller deck height to accommodate the longer stroke and connecting rods. This specification would also be used later in the Z20 and Z22 engine series. The bigger powerplant even helped spawn an important new offering from Datsun's competition department -50mm Solex twin-choke carburetor kits- complete fuel systems that help produce nearly double the power from the ubiquitous L20B. The legendary robustness, the nearly square configuration and the rod-to-stroke ratios possible have made this engine a popular choice among tuners for turbocharging.
The engine used a carburetor but switched to fuel injection (and round instead of square exhaust ports) in some non-USA markets in 1977. Carburetors were used in all US L20B applications for both cars and trucks. There were six versions of the L20B in the US- U60, U67, U95 (used in cars) and U60, U67, B98, 04W, and 05W (used in trucks). In the US, the L20B was used in six different model families -A10, 610, 710, S10, 620, and 720 models- making it the most versatile powerplant in the company's US history. To avoid confusion with the six-cylinder L20, Nissan called this engine the L20B and redesignated their six-cylinder engine L20A.

193kyle

Still torn on what I want. There really just aren't very many cars that I like in my price range. Really considering a 2wd reg cab Tacoma....
Tacoma012_edited-1.jpg6255060314_69959a0ce4.jpgDSC03732.jpg

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member

Very cool!

Completely off topic, but he said something interesting. With KOH behind us, week I hope Ultra4 doesn't lose this aspect of the sport:

Some people ask me what I am, a builder or a driver, I would say I am both, I build to drive and drive to build. There’s no better feeling as a builder than to get the full potential out of your creation, feel what your hardwork is doing through each little noise, movement and input you give the controls. At the same time there’s no better feeling as a driver to know every detail of the machine your controlling.

sixstringsteve

i wonder if those wheels are 6ULs. If so, those are one of the best wheels out there. It's a sharp looking car. Any idea what the interior is like? I spy some recaro seats, that's always a good thing.

193kyle

That's exactly what the wheels are, good eye Steve! I called him about today, the motor and trans are not in the car, so it's quite the project still, but it's got some great parts. I am going to look at it later this week. He said he used to have a 94 civic hatch with the same k20 swap and it ran a 12.9 in the quarter mile on street tires and open diff!