Kyle's new project

Rock Taco

1523772_10151869361660028_1787983369_o.jpg

What is it? Besides a Mercedes.

sixstringsteve

Wow, I stand corrected, I can only find one under $10k. They used to be easier to find. I didn't realize how lucky we were to pick up up two for under $6000 ten years ago. I'm surprised at the prices of some of those '80's 911s these days.

You're right, they're tough to find for under $10k. They'll be in pretty rough shape at that price, so cross off the 911 from the list. This is the only one I could find for under $10k.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/4313820343.html

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
A guy from Germany built it.

Its a W115, W114 or W108 chassis. V8 powered race car.

That's what I'm trying to do to mine. Probably going to power mine with a Chevy 307 or Ford 302 and a 5 speed manual

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
that 2002 is a cool car.

i'm going for old german car. i'm registering it as a classic to avoid emissions and safety checks. mine is too old for that crap anyway.

plus less issues with regards to modifications.

193kyle

The one thing I know is true of EVERY car on this thread is that they can be ABSOLUTE money pits. Especially the older ones that you get for a "deal." I have great experience in this, considering I threw a lot of money trying to make a few different imports fast.

This is my dilemma, I want something fun but I also want reliability. I also don't have the ability to take on a big project right now.....decisions, decisions...

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
i picked mine up for $300. so far i have $75 into it. i need a motor and transmission, ball joints and shocks. and a lot of metal fab. but if you are patient and able to do the work yourself, it shouldn't cost a ton.

My car had a top speed of 85. with a tail wind and down hill. it was slow as hell with 100 hp. hoping to put a 300 hp motor in it, make it reliable and daily driven. i think it can be done.

sixstringsteve

Oh man, why is this not in your driveway yet? I'll bet that's pretty quick with the motor that's in it. I love 510s. Super simple, and you can do another motor swap someday if you want. Like Troy said, it's nice to get a car that's working so you can drive it as you modify it. I love me a 510 with panasports:

1969_Datsun_510_For_Sale_Silver_Rear_resize.jpg

Last edited:

Rock Taco

Oh man, why is this not in your driveway yet? I'll bet that's pretty quick with the motor that's in it. I love 510s. Super simple, and you can do another motor swap someday if you want. Like Troy said, it's nice to get a car that's working so you can drive it as you modify it. I love me a 510 with panasports:

View attachment 88382

Kyle, I called the guy on the 510. He has had it for 8 years and most of the time it has sat in storage. It runs and drives but needs to have the carbs synced. I made an appointment to go look at it for this sat. He is out of town until then anyways. If you want to go let me know. I wanna go look at it just to see if I like them as much as I think I do. :D

sixstringsteve

Haha, you're going to drive the price up because he's going to think demand is high. ;)

Let us know how the test drive goes.