let's talk canvas tents

sixstringsteve

We have six Springbars, the two oldest are 33-35 years old and still work great. We like to go fishing up to the Gorge and the wind up there will take out any tent that isn't up to it. When the entire family is up there it looks like a Kirkhams exhibit since we have learned what holds up best.

Are certain models of the Springbar more sturdy than others, or are they all pretty tough?

DAA

It sounds like I need to go to the outdoor retailer show.

I'm digging these swag bags. From the looks of it, stakes might be optional?
View attachment 79731

Betcha I can plant my stakes and pull them up a LOT faster than you can thread those poles through all those loops!

Fwiw, Kirkhams here in town has the Snow Peak HD stakes in stock too. Well worth investing in.

Mine have been pounded into hell about a million times and still going strong. I consider them a worthy lifetime investment.

...from now on I'm going to use those and a 18 volt cordless impact.

I've carried a cordless hammer drill and masonry bit in slickrock country. It works, and works very well. But, anymore, if I'm expecting to have trouble finding enough dirt to pound a tent stake into, or I really want to conserve on cargo space and weight, I just take a free standing tent, usually my Mountain Hardware 3 man, it's just barely big enough to put my cot in.

- DAA

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Are certain models of the Springbar more sturdy than others, or are they all pretty tough?

All of the ones we have are sturdy and hold up well. The sunshade unit without a floor is the only one we have had any issues with. My son in law (PolarXJ) has one of the modular units where you can add small sections to it and it holds up to the wind very well.

Last edited:

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
Can't help but chime in here. For what it's worth I hate canvas tents. My nylon tents can take any storm that a springbar can and then some and they stash in the corner of the jeep with no issue. I have used coleman and springbar canvas tents. Springbars are pretty sweet as far as setup goes, but they are so huge and so heavy. There are only a couple reasons to use canvas tents in my opinion: 1) they will get abused eg. scouts, groups, guides, etc. canvas is tough. I have to give it that. 2) You will be setting up for a long time and using furniture cots etc. something like a base camp setup.

Anything else can be covered much more efficiently by a nylon tent at 1/100000000 the size and weight :)

Caleb

I see a lot of cots mentioned. Does anyone use an air mattress?

I'm FAR from an expert on this but if you're looking for cold weather, the big air mattresses allow too much air between you and the ground making you colder than you could otherwise be. For general summer car camping, I have used one but hate it because I weigh double what my wife does so I end up on the ground (inevitably with a rock in my back) and she's fine. When I was in scouts, my favorite ever was a foam pad on a cot, with a blanket or maybe bag (no tent) I'd sleep like a baby in almost any weather. It wasn't the lightest setup but I've packed that all over the Uintahs on campouts and it was lighter than what most boys were carrying for tents.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I grew up camping in a spring bar, and I remember heavy snow and rainstorms in that tent. I remember being wet and cold...a lot. I also had it come down on me in a windstorm in Lake Havasu. That was the last time I used the spring bar.

I've had my Mtn hardware trango 3 in some serious winds and storms that I wouldn't even think about having a spring bar up in. I realize others have had better experiences, and up to a certain extent I'm sure they are fine, but in 50 mph sustained and 70+ gusts, they would just be a giant sail. I'll take my mtn hardware tents if I ever think weather has a chance to go foul (and in Utah, that's just about anytime).

I've spent lots of nights in roof top canvas tents, and for the most part they are really nice. But when the wind kicks up to a decent level, the flapping of the canvas is enough to drive me mad. When the winds really kick up, it's time to take them down.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Kodiak canvas tents are as good as springbar tents. The canvas on the walls and ceiling is thicker and stronger. The floor is thicker and rubberized. The mesh is stronger. The stakes are beefier. The awnings are free. The extra doors and windows are free. The organizer pockets are free. The zippers are of equal size and strength. They are based on Utah, but not made in Utah. The wait time is not 6 weeks. After prolonged exposure to uv light the hydro shield coating on the kodiak protects the fabric from water penetration as well as maintaining much higher fabric strength than the springbar.

Either tent is likely to last you for more than your lifetime. But only springbar can say it has lasted people more than a lifetime. Kodiak hasn't been around long enough to say that. Kodiak can only compare with lab results not a real world 40+years of experience.

Another tent option that can be had in canvas is the turbo tent. Set up time is really fast. It does also require stakes.

ID Bronco

I grew up in my Grandpas springbars and he gave one to me before he died. It's a two man and its pretty small but I love it due to the sentimental value.

I like the springbars but with scouts we converted to Cabelas alaskan guide tents and I preferred them in all situtions except week long camps. They are fantastic in snow and wind when you have the rain cover that reaches the ground on. They take a while to set up and weigh about half of a spring bar. They are much less bulky. I keep threatening to buy an 8 person for my family.