Maldito's 88 4Runner

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Oh, yeah I dont really head up that way unless I'm going to Cabela's haha. But right now I've got another check engine light! I cant seem to stay away from them longer than a few months! And I'm not that good at decoding them, so I recorded a small video of them, anyone wanna help me figure it out?

[video=youtube;hD6PKvjNqLQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD6PKvjNqLQ[/video]

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Cool, thanks, I couldn't tell I was thinking like 24 and 15, I couldn't figure it out. I'll check all that stuff today. Thank you!

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
So I was never really able to figure out this code issue and my truck sat there since my last update, hence my absenteeism from the site. This weekend I picked up a ECU from an '87 4Runner with the 35070 ECU number and my original ECU is a 35130. The truck started and I had no check engine light anymore and I drove it around the block and it ran fine, although slow but I havent driven it in months so maybe I forgot how slow they are lol. I read the 87 and earlier trucks only ran the 1 wire o2 sensor and a different volt injectors, then in 88 they switch the low impedance or something so they ran higher in 88? I'm not too clear on that still, but the truck runs without any check engine.

What should I make of this? Anyone have a 35130 ECU I could test out?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
So I ended up getting my 4Runner up and running about 2 weeks ago. It was a bad knock sensor wire that wasnt sending a signal anymore and it was retarding my timing after 2500 RPM's killing the power. So I repaired the wire and took the truck out for a ride and everything seems to be back to normal.

8065022366_617b10b2be_z.jpg

8065023518_059213f0a2_z.jpg

8065023881_05337db86b_z.jpg

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
And today I finally got off my ass and extended my rock sliders that I've had sitting around since spring last year. They measured 58" but I needed about 65" to cover the lenght of the 4Runner so my dad and I got working on that today. Next I need to grind down the welds a little bit to make it look uniform and then weld them onto the frame, but also should I add a pipe where I extended it for reinforcement since there is a bigger gap now between the middle bars? Is it pretty simple to do or is there a recommended method of mocking it up?

8064996632_412954c517_c.jpg

8064996917_aed6ae451f_c.jpg

8065000399_d825f2edae_c.jpg

8065001608_03e65f6b1d_c.jpg

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
They're done at my house, and I did sleeve the inside of the sliders where I welded them, in the second pic you can sort of see the sleeve inside, I left about 1/8th to 3/16th of a gap between the tube, to allow a full penetration weld.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Instead of an extra pipe, what about flat piece of 3/8th to fill in the entire gap? Take it to Carl, have him cut out something sexy.

Cascadia

Undecided
Carl cut out plates for mine and put 3 big dimple dies in each section. Look for my 03 Tacoma mild build thread. I thought it looked sexy.

sixstringsteve

that'll be so nice to have sliders that are the right length. I always thought the TG ones were about 6" too short.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I was interested in what Cascadia mentioned, I was thinking getting some made, I wasn't aware Carl had dimple dies. But yeah, I didn't want to install them until they were full length

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I loved the dimpled look on the sliders built for my Xterra. Those were TG sliders as well, that I pulled off of my '99 4Runner.

photo2-2.jpg

DSC_1147.jpg

DSC_1524.jpg

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Right on, how thick are the plates? Looking at that mud streak, did they do a good job of blocking snow from caking up under the doors?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Is installing a cb radio similar to installing a stereo? I see several threads where people are using fuse blocks, but I dunno how or why. I picked up a used Uniden pro520xl but I dunno how to go about installing. Although I still need an antenna. I liked Sami's setup on the xterra from that build, how was it?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Right on, how thick are the plates? Looking at that mud streak, did they do a good job of blocking snow from caking up under the doors?

If I were to do it again, I'd turn the sliders around so the longest tubes were outboard, rather than the bent tube side.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Does anyone in Magna have the tool to remove the hub nut? I think it's supposed to be 52mm.

My caliper and rotors grenaded on my way home and I have no brakes. I am trying to perform overnight surgery on my beast because I was needing it for work tomorrow and to go camping afterwork...