Maldito's 88 4Runner

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
yeah they were! That rotor was terrible. It looked like I was using a rake instead of brake pads.

sixstringsteve

wow, I've never seen rotors that thin before. Good thing you changed them. Did you change both rotors? Glad to hear you got it back on the road.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah I replaced both rotors and calipers on the fronts. Now I need to replace the rears as well and I'll be set with the brakes.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Here's some photos from my my overnight camping trip I took Friday night with one of my friends.

This was around 6pm driving up the B towards Bountiful Peaks, that's my friend in his XJ

8088843337_40cef36e9e_z.jpg

Set up camp at one of the sites. We were the only souls there

8088844684_4d552b27eb_z.jpg

8088845822_664fd1b92f_z.jpg

Now that I think about it, the fire was probably a bit much, but it was cold and we thoroughly enjoyed the warmth

8088846836_12a1f8fd30_z.jpg

Our breakfast and dinner, we ran out of buns the night before. I thought about using my oil dipstick for the brats but the knife seemed cleaner lol..

8088847825_4bb5b67e1d_z.jpg

Afterwards we took a drive through the mountains on what I believe was Francis Peak Rd and reconnected with Skyline Dr over by where that rockslide happened and headed back towards the city around 1pm

8088848543_8dac0fef11_z.jpg

8088849834_c5cbca01c1_z.jpg

8088850530_df54f389ef_z.jpg

It was definitely a fun trip. Very basic and didnt really take much with us, the only hassle that night was the rain, thankfully I brought several pairs of clothes and was able to change out and stay dry. I'd definitely like to do it over again but on a clear night. I really was looking forward to the moonlight and checking out the stars.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X

Today I started working on installing the sliders since I've been putting off work on them during the week. It actually took me a lot longer to set them up than I had expected lol. I only got one side welded on which I still need to finish welding to the frame, and the passenger side mocked up and tack welded. I chose to weld the reinforcement plates to the legs first and then once it's all together weld them to the frame.

I also dont know if this is too close or too far from the body of the truck, but it looked ok to me. I also took SAMI's advice and welded the long sides out as it does provide the best protection. And in fact the curve of the inside bar follows the curves of my fenders running under so it looks natural sort of lol....

The reinforcement plates are 1/4" thick, I dont know if that will be enough, let's hope it is

8088850998_e2aac3f54a_z.jpg

8088851814_a1343557da_z.jpg

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Today I finished welding up the passenger slider to the frame. Tomorrow I plan to paint part of it at least, but I do not have gussets on there because I didnt really think about it til yesterday. So I may have some cut out and weld them on after the fact. I didnt leave a whole lot of room for movement if they get tweaked so I better reinforce them lol. I have about 1/2" of gap between the pinch weld and the bar and about 1 1/4" of gap between my doors. So if I were to hit a rock hard I'd be stuck in there lol...

I did purposely tuck them in close to the body but maybe I tucked them a bit much haha. I like it though, they dont have a huge profile and blend in quite well, but again, I just hope I can reinforce them enough that I wont run into issues later with them pushing into the body.

After looking at Kevin's 4Runner and talking with him about it, I've decided to order some ball-joint spacers and uncrank my torsion bars. I think that will give me a better ride and possibly a bit more lift than what I have right now up front. I'll also see about doing chevy rears at the same time so hopefully I'll have that taken care of before the first snow fall.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
This weekend I am hoping to order either a set of OME rear springs or go to the junk yard and find a set of chevy rears for my 4Runner. Unless someone has a pair that they wanna sell me :D

But before I do that I am wondering what people's thoughts are on either setup? For those that run the OME's and the ones that have done the Chevy's. I've seen pictures of the chevy swap and they offer insane flex, it just needs additional fabrication done to make it all work. At this point I think I can do the fabrication, it's just a matter of getting the materials to do it. I think I can get away with doing the swap under $100 with the Chevy's including u-bolts and bushings, I think I can make my own hangers and shackles.

If I do the OME route I dont know if it will be a better ride quality or not, and if it will flex comparable to the Chevy's, I do plan to carry camping gear, spare tire and perhaps a roof rack down the road, so I'm not sure if the Chevy's are too soft to handle that much extra weight or not. If I go that route I think I'll end up spending closer to $300 including u-bolt flip kit, bushings and any miscellaneous parts.

What's everyone's input? I am hoping to do this swap this weekend or get them ordered to do during the week.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Have any of you converted your clutch fan to an e-fan? This is something I've been thinking of doing. After replacing the headgasket and coolant on my truck last year it runs pretty cool, barely makes up about 1/4 of the way on the gauge during summer and 1/8th during winter. I was thinking of replacing the clutch fan to an e-fan, more than anything just to reduce the noise it makes, it sounds like my motor is about to explode at 4k rpm. Or when I'm driving down the street people turn and look cuz they probably think a jet is about to buzz the tower lol....

Any input, does it maintain temps down as good as clutch fans? I've read varying results.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Its mainly the noise issue that I wanna put a stop to. I've heard it frees up a pony or two, though not really concerned about that.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I could see going to electric if you were crossing deep water on a regular basis, but it's a couple added points of failure that you don't need otherwise. The stock fan and clutch are reliable, I'd stick with 'em and get better stereo speakers. ;)

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
What is the purpose behind switching to electric if I'm crossing deep waters? I saw that mentioned on the web too but I dont get the reference?

But yeah, speaking of stereo, I need to figure out what happened to mine, it wont turn on anymore.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
What is the purpose behind switching to electric if I'm crossing deep waters? I saw that mentioned on the web too but I dont get the reference?

Bad things can happen when a rapidly spinning plastic fan blade hits water. I've never tried to cross water that deep, but if I do I think I'll pull the fan belt first. ;)

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Ah yeah, I forgot they are plastic lol....so I guess it wont act as a propeller then huh? :D

Random pic of my truck just because I havent posted any recently. I used Rustoleum bed liner on my rock sliders and they offer just enough grit for traction but not enough that I worry I'll skin my calves on them one day. You can see the CB antenna near the rear quarter panel as well, that's the best spot I could think of to mount it with ease of tightening from the inside since it has the access panel. I am not too thrilled with how far it sticks out, I really wanted to mount it on the back by the tailgate but I couldnt figure out how I'd get it tightened back there. So far the reception is good but I dont really have anyone I can test it out with to see what kind of range I am getting. And I havent tried talking on it either because I havent tuned the SWR's...

8137500858_fd159a4ca3_z.jpg

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Your runner is looking awesome. Go hit those sliders on something and post up the pics:)

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Thanks! I am hoping to make it out this weekend out on some trails and beat on them some :)

The big issue is gas, I get 12 mpg out of it right now, so driving anywhere far really sucks lol.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I've got a TPS code but it doesn't throw a check engine light, that's pretty much it. Timing is a little advanced so I think that could have something to do with it. But it feels pretty good when driving it haha.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Don't waste your money on an e-fan setup.

Is your mechanical fan on all the time? If so you can pull it and change the oil in the fan clutch to a lighter weight to make it come on at higher temps...may be part of your terrible mileage.
It is also worth pulling it and cleaning the fins and spring to verify proper clutch operation.

I ran the rear OME's while my 4Runner was IFS and they performed beautifully. I am still running them with 300lbs of gear and a 4" block ( yuck ) to match the front SAS. Needless to say I have abused them to no end and they go negative frequently. They have held up great, require no additional fab and ride smooth.