Miller Motorsports Park craziness

Houndoc

It's called patriotism.
Your way of thinking is part of the problems in America right now.

"Oh, he doesn't like Chinese company's buying business's in America,he must be a racist"
Makes sense. .

Would you boycott if it had been purchased by Ferrari, Toyota or even Chrysler?

And if boycotting it forces it our of business, causing local jobs to be lost, exactly how is that patriotic?

ID Bronco

Would you boycott if it had been purchased by Ferrari, Toyota or even Chrysler?

And if boycotting it forces it our of business, causing local jobs to be lost, exactly how is that patriotic?

This is probably a discussion for a different thread, but I'll vent. My wife and I see things very differently when it comes to supporting businesses with differing values, ideas or beliefs than we have. I believe in taking my business elsewhere when I can. So for instance I do not like Toys R Us (and many other stores) policy on firearms, so I haven't been in one for about 8 years. Walgreens is the same way, when they fired a Pharmacist for using his weapon to save the life of the pharmacy tech I quit going there. It is my way of supporting businesses that use common sense in my opinion. It is a hassle, it is often more expensive and I probably shop at many stores that have similar policies I am not aware of; BUT if I don't make my own personal stand somewhere I will never stand anywhere. If Mitch has strong feelings against it, good for him, his reasoning is his own, who am I (speaking of bigotry or racism) to devalue his opinion or tell him he should or shouldn't do something. The only non hypocrites are those who stand for nothing and therefore have nothing to be hypocritical about. That's not most of us. In the jobs debate, if a foreign owned company did not do well because many U.S.A. citizens chose to shop only at U.S. owned establishments they would go out of business and "lose jobs", but if the product is in demand a U.S. company would take it's place and bring back the "jobs".

I'm all for personal actions to support or not support businesses based upon a variety of conditions. But, if I force those actions on others, then I do not believe in it.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
I know how it works.
And it's good to a point..but we have become so foreign dependent we are now even buying fruit from foreign countries! what's wrong with our fruit here?
even most American flags are made in China. . . Our own flags are being made outside the US...
You say if the park closed jobs would be lost...

Yes, like 45 TOP's?
If your concerned about jobs being lost from a off road park...you must not sleep at night regarding jobs being lost going over sea's or imagination...
and did you know the company that makes orieos, rits crackers, ect is firing over 600 US employees and moving to Mexico?
Why?
It's cheaper, cus cookies and crackers being made over sea's are half the price and they can't compete.

Do I expect other people to think the same way as me?
No, and I don't want people too.
Like me, have your own dang opinion.

Will my way of thinking/actions change anything?
Probably not, but it's what I believe in.

Would I still go to the park if it was owned *by Ferrari, Toyota or even Chrysler?*
Chrysler, in motorsports? Lol think dewoo would be there biggest competition.lol
But I probably would for the u4 races but that's about it.

Bias?
Little bit, like I said earlier I TRY my best not to buy anything Chinese.
So much stuff is imported from China.
Not as much as Japan and hardly anything from Italy.
I'm not as concerned about them cus they don't have anywhere near as strong of a choke hold on the us economy like China dose.

Do I care if other people go?
Heck no, that's your own right and decision.

I have no problem with the Chinese as a people, just the impact the country has on ours, and that's not the Chinese's fault...It's the corrupt businessman looking to make as much money as possible no matter the cost or impact.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I guess I still fail to see how supporting a Chinese owned motor sports park hurts a US economy or more specifically a Utah economy that doesn't offer a competitor to said venue?

I do my best not to buy Chinese knockoff products that completely disregard R&D, patent, and vested interests in my work, hobbies, lifestyle, etc.
I do my best not to buy Chinese products that are just junk if I can buy something that will last longer. I'm too poor to buy cheap tools & gear.
I do my best not to buy from Chinese companies that have historically been hostile towards other products.

BUT, replace "Chinese" with any other nation and my opinion is the same. If there is a US company that blatantly knocks-off the designs of others, I do my best to avoid.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I cannot recall the product a few years ago that had a huge thread about this happening to a local SLC company. Dang, I can't remember the product.

In just the off-road market (which I naturally pay more attention to than any other), it happens daily. From bumpers to LED's, tents to seats... someone is always knocking off the next guy and consumers are always quick to quip "if they can do it for less than I'll buy it" completely discounting the R&D, market investment, and capitol needed to move to the next project. It's easy to take a proven product, meet or reduce quality and sell it for less... no science there. Again that doesn't just happen in China (though it happens most often there ;)) but that is why I feel you have to look at your purchases on a individual basis. I'll say it again, I'm too poor to buy cheap gear.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
In just the off-road market (which I naturally pay more attention to than any other), it happens daily. From bumpers to LED's, tents to seats... someone is always knocking off the next guy and consumers are always quick to quip "if they can do it for less than I'll buy it" completely discounting the R&D, market investment, and capitol needed to move to the next project. It's easy to take a proven product, meet or reduce quality and sell it for less... no science there.

In fairness, it's also easy to file a terribly vague patent and then sue everybody you can find making anything remotely similar to yours. Gobi is doing it right now, effectively put a really good boutique fabricator out of business for making a product that's nothing like theirs.

Houndoc

I agree with avoiding companies that do not reflect your personal values, be it gun rights, patent protection etc.

I just have a real problem with lumping an entire nation into one broad category. Does being a Chinese entrepreneur automatically mean his or his company's values conflict with yours? In my mind to answer that with a yes reflects some degree of racism, deliberate or not.

ID Bronco

I agree with avoiding companies that do not reflect your personal values, be it gun rights, patent protection etc.

I just have a real problem with lumping an entire nation into one broad category. Does being a Chinese entrepreneur automatically mean his or his company's values conflict with yours? In my mind to answer that with a yes reflects some degree of racism, deliberate or not.

Again, maybe ignorant of the company but the "racism" word and card are used way to often, like here for example.

Houndoc

Again, maybe ignorant of the company but the "racism" word and card are used way to often, like here for example.

I agree that the race card is far too often played, especially in the media, when it is not the case. But I will defend my use of it here because the entire assumption is made on race/nationality.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member

Not to jump in here, but this is actually true. You might not "feel" like you're putting one culture in a secondary or inferior place because of your position, but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. It's a systematic hegemony that we don't even notice, but still exists in our language and the words we choose to use.

Personally, I think holding on to the idea that we are an industrial/manufacturing based economy is short sited. We are a service based economy, and if you want support our economy then spend your money on American services. I have a friend that might be the most passionate "buy american" person on the planet, and he is ironically the worst tipper I've ever seen. You have an american worker right in front of you that you are stiffing....but you buy american. mmmmmkay. That worker could take that extra $5, then go down and buy american milk and cheese from an american owned market to feed their kids. Or, they can just buy imported top-ramen.