Nate's crappy 93 XJ

Nate's crappy 93 XJ "Snowflake/Ice Princess"

Owners Name & City- Nate, West Jordan, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- Stripped-down 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country buggy thingy

Engine- 4.0L, HD motor mounts

Transmission- Aisin Warner 4-Speed auto, gear selection switches, big tranny cooler

T-Case- NP231, stock

Axles - HP Dana 30 front w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Torq-Masters Chromo shafts with JK joints
-Chrysler 8.25 rear w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Riddler diff cover, shaved a bit

Suspension- 3" coils + 2" spacers in the front w/custom 3-link mid-arm, center limit strap, hockey puck bumpstop extensions; stock leaf packs in the rear with additional springs added (7 total) + lift shackles, homebuilt traction bar

Wheels and Tires- 35x12.5r17 Maxxis short course stickies on Raceline Beadlocks

Winch- Guys pulling on a strap usually does it

Favorite Trails- Hell's Revenge, The Maze, Green Day, Nasty Half, Sliplock, Pritchett

Other- Cut in half; power steering cooler; Custom heim steering & tracbar; JCR skid plate; RCI Race cell with Walbro pickups; LED rock lights; Unibody stiffeners; custom boat-sides & bumpers

1-ejs09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Today:
-Figured out why my e-fan wasn't working- bad relay on my manual override switch. Fixed
-Got stuck in a snow drift up to my sliders and bumpers in the field by my house. Had to run home to get shovels and call a friend to pull me out. Dumb
-Made the rear door removable and weighed it: 43 pounds. So all 4 doors total 202 POUNDS!!! I'm very excited about that weight loss

image.jpg

N-Smooth

Thanks Steve!

Finished up some more wiring today to make 2 of the 4 doors have quick-disconnect wiring. Pretty happy about it. Also started work on the driver-rear door. It got pretty bashed last trip so even getting it open took a while :rofl:

N-Smooth

Got the driver-rear door off FINALLY and took it out for a spin. I have always loved wheeling it with the driver door removed but didn't really think that removing the other doors would do all that much for visibility and everything but WOW it's a blast and I can see everything. As of right now I'm thinking they'll probably stay off forever and I'll just build some permanent hip-protector bars into the cage. I'm starting to get super excited for EJS and I know I'll need that excitement to push me through the frustrating, stressful time right before the trip.

image.jpg
image.jpg

N-Smooth

10:30 last night I decided I wanted to mess with the jeep a little more and decided to remove the factory roof rack w/three crossbars. I'm going to be building a "hybrid" cage anyways so it has to go. Weighed it all just for kicks and to keep up with the theme of this build and it weighs 18 pounds. That's equivalent to 10' of tube so I'm happy with that. It does look kinda weird without it but yeah
image.jpg
image.jpg

N-Smooth

Did this yesterday
image.jpg
image.jpg
Yes my brake lines are so long that I can easily sit the calipers on the ground. I love it.
I need to start working on my 3 link midarm build so I tore it all out. I was excited to see how trashed my LCA's were, enjoy.
image.jpg

Now I just need to cutoff a bunch of brackets, make new ones, make arms and it will be awesome. Shouldn't take me too long :rofl:

N-Smooth

so you stuffed 33s in you wheel wells do they rub in the back bad or no?

I did a cut and fold on the rear wheel-wells and they still rubbed some under full flex so I made some custom bumpstops. I have 3" of lift (probably less) though

dash

okay cool thanks for answering the question. i am planning on stuffing 331050s under my vj once the 31s become more useless.

N-Smooth

Mine are 12.50's too so depending on your back spacing they might fit even better

N-Smooth

Worked on it on saturday for a few hours and again today. I forgot how bad is SUCKS to cut off the old "frame"-side LCA brackets. It took a lot of time, made a big mess and used up a handful of cut-off wheels. Then there is the UCA mount that is very hard to reach. I broke my sawzall a couple years ago and ended up buying a new one today to be able to reach the bracket. I also found that the driverside LCA mount had some split welds on the inside support and back side... I was not shocked.
image.jpg
I've only done the driverside so far because I like to have the other side for reference.
I plated the bottom, outside and inside with some 3x3/16" and 2x1/8". The inside portion goes a few inches away from the motor mount and all the way back the the front of the transmission crossmember. Lots of welding there! I will be adding to it to take it further forward when that becomes the main priority.
image.jpg
image.jpg

93yj

I did a cut and fold on the rear wheel-wells and they still rubbed some under full flex so I made some custom bumpstops. I have 3" of lift (probably less) though
Great idea Nate!!! I put my new tires on this after noon. thanks for the help!!!!!!!IMG_0436.jpgIMG_0438.jpgIMG_0439.jpg

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Awesome i look forward to more pics of progress

ps looks pretty good with out doors can you feel the body flexing more with out it

I only took it for a spin before tearing out the front axle so I can't say for sure but I've never believed that the doors are structural. Some do, some don't.

I need to figure out if I am keeping them off forever or making skins out of them or whatever. My wife initially said "you have to put the doors back on" but we'll see if I can change her mind