Nate's crappy 93 XJ

Nate's crappy 93 XJ "Snowflake/Ice Princess"

Owners Name & City- Nate, West Jordan, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle- Stripped-down 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country buggy thingy

Engine- 4.0L, HD motor mounts

Transmission- Aisin Warner 4-Speed auto, gear selection switches, big tranny cooler

T-Case- NP231, stock

Axles - HP Dana 30 front w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Torq-Masters Chromo shafts with JK joints
-Chrysler 8.25 rear w/4.88 gears, Aussie locker, Riddler diff cover, shaved a bit

Suspension- 3" coils + 2" spacers in the front w/custom 3-link mid-arm, center limit strap, hockey puck bumpstop extensions; stock leaf packs in the rear with additional springs added (7 total) + lift shackles, homebuilt traction bar

Wheels and Tires- 35x12.5r17 Maxxis short course stickies on Raceline Beadlocks

Winch- Guys pulling on a strap usually does it

Favorite Trails- Hell's Revenge, The Maze, Green Day, Nasty Half, Sliplock, Pritchett

Other- Cut in half; power steering cooler; Custom heim steering & tracbar; JCR skid plate; RCI Race cell with Walbro pickups; LED rock lights; Unibody stiffeners; custom boat-sides & bumpers

1-ejs09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeedyVic

Worked on it on saturday for a few hours and again today. I forgot how bad is SUCKS to cut off the old "frame"-side LCA brackets. It took a lot of time, made a big mess and used up a handful of cut-off wheels.

I tried the cut off wheels thing. Gave up. Went and got a 12" Sawzall blade and cut each of them off in one pass. Took like 5 minutes to do each one.

zukijames

Door are nice

doors are heavy
doors make it hard to see

doors make it warm/cool

If I had heater,a/c, windshield and didn't need supports for my cage that would make a door pointless I would have doors and maybe some half doors or skins for half doors

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Door are nice

doors are heavy
doors make it hard to see

doors make it warm/cool

If I had heater,a/c, windshield and didn't need supports for my cage that would make a door pointless I would have doors and maybe some half doors or skins for half doors

I don't have A/C so that's a non-issue. I have taken the driver's door off a bunch of times and I love the visibility. I am trying to see all the pros and cons about removing the doors for good and not do what comes naturally... Just say screw it and keep them off.

I worked on it some more today and got the passenger side brackets all cut-off and most of the frame plates done and welded on. On saturday I made the frame-side LCA brackets. Now I need to make the UCA bracket (I have it planned) and start on the axle mounts.

N-Smooth

I got the three link pretty much done, just need to align it and build some lower shock mounts. I also need to build a new tracbar but that's not a huge priority right now.
image.jpg
photo3.jpg
I threw in a "truss" while I was putting in the UCA mount. It's 3x1/4" strap.
photo5.jpg
The "frame" UCA mount is braced like nobody's business. I tested everything at full bump, droop and flex and I'm so happy with the way everything clears. I have 8" of vertical separation at the axle with only 3" of lift!

Last edited:

N-Smooth

I also picked up this gem on Saturday. Now I just need to fight the temptation to cut my jeep in half, at least for a little while...
photo2.jpg

Last edited:

N-Smooth

lookin good! It's going to be nice to have a 3 link vs radius arm up front.

Thanks! I'm excited to see how it handles compared to the trashed control arms that were on there. I need to get a tracbar built so I can really tighten-up the whole frontend. I already have the heims for it, just need to figure out what tube I want to use.

I agree with the 3-link VS radius arm too. It took a lot more work to package the 3-link than a radius arm but it should definitely be worth it.

N-Smooth

I hope you don't chop it up anytime soon. You've proven just how capable a full-bodied XJ can be on the cheap.

Thanks, you're always so nice about my dump ride :rofl:

I'd need a good reason to chop it up. Something like swapping in tons and 40's. At that point I would be tempted to build a buggy so we'll see what happens. I suppose the more work I put into this shell the more likely I am to continue using it but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I do love having body panels to smash

This is one of my favorite pic threads of all time: Pirate4x4 pics of beaten rigs

Clean rigs are neat and all but I absolutely love rigs that you can tell have been used and abused.

N-Smooth

I got everything reassembled and drove this thing last night! I'm very happy with the way everything clears and handles. I do need to spend a little more time aligning it, both the steering and the arms. I plan to do that when I get the tracbar built.

Went to Midnight 4x4 today (for the first time) on my lunch hour and got the tube I need for the tracbar. I can't say enough good stuff about them. It honestly reminded me of how things were back in the old school RockLogic days. I will be going back for some other stuff, I'm sure!

N-Smooth

Got some work done on the cage today. It's different but I like it a lot
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bye bye b-pillars... Building a new one out of tube
image.jpg

N-Smooth

The c-pillar spreader has uprights that come through the roof. That's all that is holding it on right now.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bending and notching is a lot of work but it's getting easier with each one. I had a good time with good friends working on it today

N-Smooth

"Finished" the jeep at about 2 AM wednesday, slept for a few hours and towed it down to Moab. Had an awesome time with my wheeling family even though we had some breakage. Pics:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

N-Smooth

I almost forgot to mention the awesomeness that was Ruffstuff down in Moab. I had a temporary shock mount prove to be even more temporary than I thought so I ran over to the Ruffstuff trailer and they welded on a new one for free! My friend's upper control arm tower also started ripping... literally and they welded it right up. Super nice guys and they wouldn't even accept a tip other than a donation to a children's foundation. I was impressed and it made me happy that I have bought a bunch of stuff from them in the past

N-Smooth

Decided that my hatch window and rear quarter window had to go cause I'll end up breaking them anyways. Also took a bunch of garbage out of the hatch... Speakers, wiper, power door lock actuator, tons of wire etc.
I weighed all of it together (for kicks) and it was 31 pounds. Now the hatch opens up so fast!
image.jpg
I'll probably end up ditching the hatch eventually anyways but it's still in fine shape and I want to smash it up some first. Plus I have an extra one that is even white if I decide to hang on to it.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Roomy
image.jpg
Loving this idea
image.jpg

Gathered some parts from Evco and summit, just waiting on some finishing stuff

Last edited: