Shop / Tools Opportunity to learn/experience welding... Episode 1

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Blind leading the blind, but I'm up for it. I have 20# of filler rod on its way as I type.

update: now 40#, I added 20# of aluminum filler.

Last edited:

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
sweet that looks nice! I learned my first welding adventures on an old 'tombstone' Lincoln arc welder when I was 8 years old. Built an IFS go kart from scratch ha. It looked like crap but was fun as heck.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I now have plenty of both steel and aluminum rod, so bring on the TIG.
I'm just learning aluminum and trying to source some 1/8 plate for bead practice.
Wow, and I thought I sucked at TIGing steel :oops:
I have the .060 diamond plate that is proving to be less than ideal to learn on, it's very thin, the heat builds up quickly, and the diamonds limit the heat absorption by the table.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
I now have plenty of both steel and aluminum rod, so bring on the TIG.
I'm just learning aluminum and trying to source some 1/8 plate for bead practice.
Wow, and I thought I sucked at TIGing steel :oops:
I have the .060 diamond plate that is proving to be less than ideal to learn on, it's very thin, the heat builds up quickly, and the diamonds limit the heat absorption by the table.

Let me know if you need any pointers or have any questions with welding. I consider myself an expert in the field. I have a AAS degree in welding, was Utahs state champion welder in 2009, have welded almost every day for 14 years with mig, tig, and stick, on aluminum,steel, and ss. I currently work in maintenance fab shop that does tons of aluminum mig and tig welding.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Eric, I have quite a bit of 1/8" aluminum waiting for me to take it to the recycler. You're welcome to come grab some of it to cut up for weld coupons.

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
My issue is vertical AC stick welding. As long as I'm flat on the table I'm good, but for when it comes time to weld on the jeep or things that are attached with gravity against I'm struggling. It probably just takes time and lots of practice, but tried the 6013 the 6010 and 7018 on 1/4 plate and cant seem to get it to where it doesn't drop out, or want to keep sticking the electode to the material.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Eric, I have quite a bit of 1/8" aluminum waiting for me to take it to the recycler. You're welcome to come grab some of it to cut up for weld coupons.
Kevin just delivered the goods, thanks a bunch Carl and Kevin, this will keep me going for some time.

One mans scrap is another mans treasure :)
No excuses now...
20180107_144110.jpg

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I did some 6011 stick practice today since the weather was warm and I could open up the garage to vent the smoke.
It would seem that at some point today I told a lie :rolleyes:
Actually not the first time I've set myself on fire.

20180107_164517.jpg