RME October Trip - Montezuma Canyon, Alstrom Point, Left Hand Collett canyon

lhracing

Figured I'd ask since I've yet visit any of these particular spots but we are planning on bringing our dog... I've looked at most of the information for Grand Staircase Escalante and it seems we should be OK?

When I looked into bringing my dog from what I could see it they can be there just need to be under control. If it was a National Park instead of a Nation Monument then it would be a different story. Glen Canyon Nation Recreation Area seems to be more restrictive but they are still ok.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
When I looked into bringing my dog from what I could see it they can be there just need to be under control. If it was a National Park instead of a Nation Monument then it would be a different story. Glen Canyon Nation Recreation Area seems to be more restrictive but they are still ok.

That's what I was reading but wanted to make sure. Thank you!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If someone else has time in the day next week and can call the BLM office in Big Water, that would help out. Ask if their office and Dinosaur exhibit are open and get a status update on the roads out to Alstrom Point, up the Smokey Mountain Road and down thru Left Hand Collett Canyon.

I'm pretty tied up with work until Wednesday.

We did a bunch down in that area this past weekend, most roads are good as I’ve ever seen them including NPS 230 out of Big Water, Croton, & Smoky Mountain.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
And I'm out....
The vet says to not take the new pup on trips until she's 16 wks and had all her shots so she has to stay home.
This little girl is super smart and a real handful and my wife asked that I not leave until we can get some basic manners instilled.
She is really smart and really stubborn...
I put up a 2ft high chicken wire fence to keep her out of an area of the yard that is bare dirt where we intend to plant grass.
I watched her test every section to see where there was the most slack so she could pull the wire down and jump over.
So I supported the top of the fence better.
Then I watched her test to find a place to go under (which she found) and had to make stakes to pin the bottom of the fence down.

I wonder if they make straight jackets for 7lb puppies....

That sucks, was looking forward to spending time with your pup! And you too, of course. :p

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
And I'm out....
The vet says to not take the new pup on trips until she's 16 wks and had all her shots so she has to stay home.
This little girl is super smart and a real handful and my wife asked that I not leave until we can get some basic manners instilled.
She is really smart and really stubborn...
I put up a 2ft high chicken wire fence to keep her out of an area of the yard that is bare dirt where we intend to plant grass.
I watched her test every section to see where there was the most slack so she could pull the wire down and jump over.
So I supported the top of the fence better.
Then I watched her test to find a place to go under (which she found) and had to make stakes to pin the bottom of the fence down.

I wonder if they make straight jackets for 7lb puppies....

Hogwash. We had our hound out on the trail for a 2 day trip at 7 weeks. She did fine. And she’s stupid. A smart dog would be even more finer.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
For Thursday night, since many of us are glamping, are we also planning on eating in town (Big Water or Page)? Just planning out my meals.

Good question. I'm down to pick a place to eat for that night... but we will have our dog with us so that makes it tricky (for us).

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
It is starting lo look like I may be the lone camper Thursday night because of my dog. Where were the "rad camp spots" that you mentioned?

I booked at the same place as Greg but found a statement which says they just charge an extra fee for the dog. If that turns out not to be true, I'll be camping with ya.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Excellent question that I was wondering also. :)
Good question. I'm down to pick a place to eat for that night... but we will have our dog with us so that makes it tricky (for us).
Page has the most options (obviously). There's a burger place called "Slackers" that's decent and a Mexican place called "Fiesta Mexicana" with standard Americanized Mexican thats alright.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
It is starting lo look like I may be the lone camper Thursday night because of my dog. Where were the "rad camp spots" that you mentioned?

Dave Eric and I spent a night on the bluff over Bishop Tanks here - 36.9737, -111.5958. Flat ground, good views, exposed but very serviceable. I websurfed the area after and found what could be potentially a very cool site tucked into the slickrock just north of of there, at 36.9889, -111.5961. The roads from either direction look iffy on satellite, lots of wash crossings and who knows what shape they'll be in. But if you can get to it, it looks like a very cozy spot with plenty of room.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
There is a food 'trailer' that serves mediocre burgers in the same parking lot as the hotel in Big Water and far as I know, thats the only option for dinner. Page is 20 min away and many more options... so burgers in Page sounds fine to me!