Steve's Sidekick Build

Chevycrew

Besides, its only 5 threads for the kick...

1 to find out what to build, 1 to discuss it, and 3 for wanted parts...

We may get a road trip one, and one to do repairs when it gets home, then a new build thread...

sixstringsteve

Ok, here's a question for all the yota guys. I'm wondering if I'll need cromo hub gears and hub studs if I'm only running 33s. I'm pretty sure the stock birfs and inners can handle the 33's, just wondering about the hubs. Does the birf usually break before the hubs?

I'll be doing ARPs and the 5th stud mod to keep the knuckles/steering happy.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
1.6lt motor and 33" tires, no, you won't need chromoly anything. Hubs aren't normally a weak link on the Toyota axles, but I'd recommend sticking with Aisin hubs. They're far stronger than Warn hubs for that application.

Chevycrew

I agree, dont over build it. You will be running smaller tires, and a smaller motor than most of the toy guys. The automatic will also prevent the shock load from dumping the clutch...

sixstringsteve

yeah, i much prefer the aisin hubs over warns. Good to know. I'm thinking my birf is going to be my weak link, which is fine. Thanks Steve and Sami

Chevycrew

Its all in how you drive. My buddies green std cab is locked front and rear, dual cases, with 4.7 in the rear, before the front locker it was welded, its been on everything from 33's to 38's and no broken birfs yet.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I really think that you have nothing to worry about, so long as you're birfs are in ok condition prior to rebuild. Seriously, you'll have a light rig with low HP and relatively small tires. I doubt you'll get the axle bound up enough to do any birf damage.. Most likely the hampters under the hood will just say, 'F it, I'm done'..

sixstringsteve

Well, I went out to the garage to start stripping the axle, and I just found out that the housing is bent.:mad2: I wish the forum member who sold it to me had mentioned that when I asked if it had any issues.

I was in a hurry when I picked it up and he assured me everything was good on it, so I took his word for it. I didn't notice any glaring issues when I picked it up, but now that I've had time to look at it, I realize it's pretty bent. I guess it's my fault, but man that sucks, paying $200 for a bent axle. time to suck it up and find another one.

So... I'm looking for a front yota axle, preferably an '85, definitely NOT bent.

sixstringsteve

He says he didn't know it was bent. I still should have checked better. oh well, at least I didn't work on it at all before finding out it was bent. I hope the inners and birfs are ok at least, but I have a feeling the only thing I can use on the pass side is the hub. I guess I'll have an expensive spare set of knuckles and hubs. I sure hope it didn't damage the third.

Last edited: