Steve's Sidekick Build

sixstringsteve

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Steve, my two cents being a former gutless 4 Runner owner. Get your gearing in the diffs, and forget about the reduction box. They rob a bunch of power, and that's the last thing you need.

I'm not looking to spend much at all on axles, I already blew $200 on an axle that's bent.

Actually, 4.88s are too much gear. I need 4.56s since i'm going with a reduction box.

sixstringsteve

I'd need 5.71's in the diffs to get the gearing where it needs to be, and I don't want a pinion that small. On the sidekicks the only option is the gear box.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Maybe I got lost in your post (imagine that), but I thought you were going Toyota axles?

Plenty of gear options there, and remember you're wheeling an automatic now.

sixstringsteve

yes, I am going toyota axles. The sidekicks either have 4.62s or 5.13s stock, so in order to turn 33's without a reduction box, I'll need 5.71's in the diffs.

I don't want to run 5.71's because of the small pinion, so I'm going to go with 4.56s and the 1.5 reduction box

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I wanted to post up something in your build thread but you did say you were gonna keep the chit chat out of it or at least try and I don't have anything relevant to say for it.

sixstringsteve

haha. I'll keep this thread around for BS. After all, we wouldn't want to dissapoint SAMI and only have one thread about my build :D

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Quick, before my head explodes. What does "what the Sami comes with" have to do with Toyota?

yes, I am going toyota axles. The sidekicks either have 4.62s or 5.13s stock, so in order to turn 33's without a reduction box, I'll need 5.71's in the diffs.

I don't want to run 5.71's because of the small pinion, so I'm going to go with 4.56s and the 1.5 reduction box

sixstringsteve

I didn't mention samis.

Let's pretend I wanted to stick with my 29" tires. Since a stock sidekick has 5.13's, I'd need 5.13's in the yota axles to match stock gearing/power.

Now let's pretend I wanted to go with 33" tires. I can't gear the diffs low enough to go back to stock power. Hence the need for an undertaker. Here's a link to the undertaker. It's a box that goes between your tranny and t-case, and lowers your drive ratio by 1.5.

http://www.trailtough.com/index.php...ategory_id=46&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Does it make sense now?

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Sorry, I meant Zuki. So, both axles will be Toys? I ran 5.29's forever, never broke a pinion and it did decent on the hiway. After I stuck the second case in it, it was far better off road, but I lost a ton of power. Is the Zuk auto a 3 speed, or overdrive?

If you're looking for a driver/explorer type of rig, I'd seriously think twice about that crawler box just because of the on road power loss. If you're thinking of a future engine swap, then it's a moot point.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Chat: I saw in your build thread that your planning on April 5th for a completion date. If your really planning on HITR on April 8th, you need this thing done at least 2 weeks earlier so you can take it on a shakedown run. HITR is the last place you want to be trial driving after a big build, not only is it 350 miles to the trail head but its 100 miles of serious trail... not a place you want to be tracking down loose bolts, leaks, clearance issue, exhaust fitment, cooling issue, etc. In fact I wouldn't be breaking in brand new gears on a trail like that either, they should have a minimum of 500 'break in' miles before your out stressing them. Shoot for 3/15 so you can have two weeks to break in the gears, change fluids, re-torque and trouble shoot any minor issues that pop up.

sixstringsteve

yeah, by "done" I meant tested and tried, with no issues. Not "the last bolt tightened by april 5th." Good wisdom Kurt, thanks.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Sorry, I meant Zuki. So, both axles will be Toys? I ran 5.29's forever, never broke a pinion and it did decent on the hiway. After I stuck the second case in it, it was far better off road, but I lost a ton of power. Is the Zuk auto a 3 speed, or overdrive?

If you're looking for a driver/explorer type of rig, I'd seriously think twice about that crawler box just because of the on road power loss. If you're thinking of a future engine swap, then it's a moot point.

Yes, both axles will be toys.

you lost power with dual cases? I didn't lose any power in my yota when I had duals. 5.29's don't scare me, but 5.71's do. I most likely wouldn't break anything, but I'd feel a lot better with a reduction box and 4.56s.

I have a 4-speed with overdrive.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yes, both axles will be toys.

you lost power with dual cases? I didn't lose any power in my yota when I had duals. 5.29's don't scare me, but 5.71's do. I most likely wouldn't break anything, but I'd feel a lot better with a reduction box and 4.56s.

I have a 4-speed with overdrive.

Honestly, with a light-weight & low power Sidekick and an auto transmission, I wouldn't be concerned about the strength of 5.71's. Others have ran that gear ratio with heavier vehicles, bigger engines and bigger tires with 5.71's and they've been successful.

sixstringsteve

they're not in this build thread, that's for sure. :p

Oh wait, I forgot which thread I was in. This is the best pic I"ve got. I need to keep her 100 series away from RME so I don't get bad ideas and lift it.

IMG_0195.JPG

Chevycrew

I guess ill clutter this thread with this question.

How did you come to the conclusion 2.5" backspace wheels were needed, without trying the 4.75" ones first?