Steve's Sidekick Build

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
that's IF it happens that soon :D
We could always hope ;)
I'll probably make a PDF of my build with all my notes, so if anyone is actually interested in the work involved, I can just send them the PDF and they can view it there, without all the chit chat.

I just know I'm not capable of a build thread without 80% chit chat.

I enjoyed your last build thread. It had plenty of updates to keep interest up and enough other stuff to keep us busy when the updates weren't significant. Some of these build threads seem to jump from here's a crappy truck I started out with to here's a full blown buggy and there aren't any updates in the middle.

sixstringsteve

that's good feedback spork. I had a few people saying I should move it to "chit chat" because it wasn't all tech. I guess I need to stop trying to please everybody. I liked the pace of the other build thread too, but I better, since it was my thread. believe me, if I had all my parts right now, there'd be a lot less chit chat and a lot more pictures. I'll be dropping some coin in the next 24 hours though. Low range will be getting some more business from me. They're good guys.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'd recommend just starting an actual build thread in Tech once you start the work. Just leave this as the pre-build BS session thread..

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Question steve? is this rig going to be able to do 90mph on a unkept twisty unmarked fire road, late at night, in the dark, in frezzing temperatures with snow on the ground? cause if not you might need to change your build... :)

sixstringsteve

hahaha. No, it will not do that. I'll be lucky if it'll do 75mph downhill on the freeway. I don't think it's the right rig for another trip like that last one. My taco would have been better for that.

sixstringsteve

I'd recommend just starting an actual build thread in Tech once you start the work. Just leave this as the pre-build BS session thread..

you just want me to start yet thread for this build... to see if I can get up to 20.

THat might not be a bad idea. Either way, I'll keep this thread around to bs and ask questions, and possibly start another one for the actual building of the vehicle.

Chevycrew

So mazdasteve...

I would start a thread in tech once you get started as well. Before pictures, parts pictures, etc... then on to the hacking. With all the pre-build planning, and parts gathering it should go really quick.

I tend to iron out all details before I start, thats how I can do SAS chevy builds in a weekend, or rockwells in a couple months, Quicker if I had money!

sixstringsteve

well, I'm committed now. I just paid 3x the vehicle price in parts :D

Let's hope that vehicle works out this week and I actually have a rig to put the parts on.

sixstringsteve

So mazdasteve...

I would start a thread in tech once you get started as well. Before pictures, parts pictures, etc... then on to the hacking. With all the pre-build planning, and parts gathering it should go really quick.

I tend to iron out all details before I start, thats how I can do SAS chevy builds in a weekend, or rockwells in a couple months, Quicker if I had money!

That was my idea with starting the thread before I had a vehicle. I wanted to iron out all the little details so it'd all go together cleaner and quicker.

redneckbronco

That you did!!!! I didnt read the whole thread but are you going to to Cali to pick it up? Ill be starting another one soon also. Think im going up to a 4runner or a Landcruiser just not sure of which yet.

sixstringsteve

Yeah Dan, you'd know, you saw the total bill today. I'm happy to send my business to Low Range, you guys are awesome.

Suzukis are cool, but toyotas are an entirely different level of capability and quality, and they're cheaper to build. You'll still have a soft spot in your heart for sami's, but once you wheel a built 4runner or landcruiser, you'll realize how limited you've been in your sami. At least that's how it was for me. Yet here I am going back to suzuki.

sixstringsteve

yeah, I'm going to cali this week to pick it up. Let's hope I make it back without any issues. i'll be flying with my sleeping bag and my tools just in case :)

sixstringsteve

Well, I picked up the sidekick this morning in CA, and just got in at midnight tonight. So I officially have a vehicle to build. once I find a straight set of axles, I can actually begin building something.

Coco

Steve....My.....truck......calling your name!! all the parts you need and more! Then sell the cab, bed, and frame :D

Cant wait to see this build!! Andwhenever you need help, hit me up!

sixstringsteve

nah, I just need toy axles, I've got the rest. Someone needs to love your truck and buy it and wheel the snot out of it. It's a well-built rig, it'd be a shame to see it just get parted out.

My build won't be anythjing amazing or new, just a bunch of bolt-on parts, but it should be a great rig to fit my needs when it's done. I will do a quality job though, so maybe that'll be fun. I'll definitely have you over to help.

For having a 1.6L, it didn't feel super gutless (but I'm used to small engines). I was able to maintain 55-80 mph on the way home. Average speed was 70 mph, due to high winds. Sidekicks don't do so well in crosswinds. On some of those passes in nevada I dropped down to 65, 60, 55 mph, and got 25 MPG the entire trip. Not bad for a 4-seater. I'll lose some power when I go to 33's, but I'm sure it'll be a fine rig to drive to moab and back, and possibly even the rubicon, although I'm not anxious to do that drive again anytime soon. 14 hours in a car is just too much.