The Budget Buggy - Take Two

Coco

Another update. Been doing a lot of finish up work, and final touches.

Built some "bling" mirror mounts, still not sure how I feel about them. They are growing on me, but still not fully sure :-\ I will say this though, there is WAYY too much time into them, and I will admit it!

I also re-did (yet again :D) the gauge cluster. I have decided I dont plan on turboing the buggy, so I wanted to redo the gauge cluster to only allow the 3 gauges, and not have 2 holes for the other gauges I wont run.

(terrible pic)

Built a firewall out of metal on the driver side, then an upper section out of 1/4" plexiglass. The passenger side is all 1/4" plexiglass, as well as above the trans tunnel bar.

Also got my coolant overflow bottle in. A Samurai overflow bottle fit in there perfectly.

Last night I got the roof panel done. I bolted it on, and rounded all the edge to follow the curve of the cage, then pulled it off, and painted it.

I also got my new seat covers on Christmas and put those back on the seats. Once I get the trans tunnel built, I will be putting the seats back in.

idahoyj

The mirrors aren't my stile, but they fit the look of your buggy and look good on there!

I don't think you can call it a "firewall" if it's made out of 1/4" flameable plastic!
:rofl:

Coco

The mirrors aren't my stile, but they fit the look of your buggy and look good on there!

I don't think you can call it a "firewall" if it's made out of 1/4" flameable plastic!
:rofl:

Thanks man :)

The plastic isnt really flammable. More like melts. (tested it :D) It will be enough time for me to get out of the car before it really goes up. It will pass tech, and I still wanted to be able to see the passenger tire. The drivers side lower is metal, and the upper part is 1/4" plexiglass. should work great. During comps, which is why I put in the firewall at all, (otherwise I never would have even bothered) the passenger will hardly ever be in the car, so the driver really is the biggest one they were worried about.

Coco

Got the trans tunnel built yesterday, was a bigger pain than I thought it would be, but it is done now :) Last thing to do is wire the winch into the switch panel, and then throw the seats back in, and it will be 'done'!

Coco

Over the holiday weekend I got the transmission tunnel done, and I got it all cleaned up. I put the seats back in it with the new covers, and thats a wrap! It is 'done'... Though they are never done. I do still plan on doing front bent links when I can, and sticky tires at some point. Cant wait to get it down to WOTR (Winter 4x4 Jamboree) and wheel for the first time down there. :D Anyone got any tips and tricks for registering this as OHV, and insurance?

1995zj

I'm addicted
Looks sweet man! I hope to be done by end of 2015.....and this just makes me want it even more seeing one get all finished up. Make sure to take some video of how it does on WOTR.

Coco

Thanks guys! Any tips or tricks for registering this thing, and getting insurance on it? This is all new to me.

yz250_

Easiest way to register is to take some pictures and the vehicle with you to the DMV. They will have you fill out some paperwork, issue you a vin, give you the stickers and mail you the title. Had to do it a few times and takes an hour or so.

Send some pictures to you insurance agent and give them an amount that you want covered for insurance if you wish to have it insured

yz250_

Thats cool, I did not know that.

I will still be doing OHV on mine. I don't think running expensive stickies on the asphalt is the way to go. I know I didn't do a very good job on my alignment :)

A lot of cities allow even OHV registration to drive to and from the trailheads