the MAN sized crawler hauler build thread

O'neal

?????????
I've lost your phone no. I'll send you a personal message to get it. No plans to go to Ogden or SLC in the near future. You're always welcome to pop over for a visit if you want.

If I had seen this thread alittle sooner I would have delivered them for ya as I was in the SLC area today getting a new tow rig....

O'neal

?????????
An 04 dodge 3500 w/5.9 auto,long bed 4dr.Has aftermarket wheel flare's,big exhaust,cold air intake 20" incubus wheel's which are fugly IMO,I'd rather have some stock steelies.Cruises and ride's great kinda loud and big though....I'm used to drivin gocart's,well like samurai's:rofl:

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Nice Mike!

I got started on the bed extension today finally.

Here are a few pics
mansizedCrawlerHauler059.jpg

mansizedCrawlerHauler060.jpg

mansizedCrawlerHauler061.jpg

mansizedCrawlerHauler062.jpg

mansizedCrawlerHauler063.jpg

Its going pretty quick so far!

Im hoping to go grab the ramps from Russ on Wednesday and then try to load the Scout on it with jackstands underneath just to make sure its going to fit ok.

I then have my knee surgery Thursday so that will put this on hold for awhile

ChestonScout

This welder RULES:D

So anyway.... Thanks to Russ for giving me some ramps. I got it loaded up last night.

I think its going to work great!

The bed sagged 1 3/4" and the front bumper raised 1/4". I will still go weigh everything when its totally done but I think thats going to be accectable.

The total height is 10' 6". Tall yes but I dont think its that bad. I was actually expecting it to be about 12'.

I think it looks pretty dang sweet to! I cant wait to drive it.

So I have some bracing left to do, install some lights, build a receiver hitch and paint it.
mansizedCrawlerHauler069.jpg

mansizedCrawlerHauler070.jpg

mansizedCrawlerHauler071.jpg

mansizedCrawlerHauler072.jpg

mansizedCrawlerHauler073.jpg

Jeeperman

A.K.A. Eugene
That thing is badass :cool:
Nice work, Cheston. And good luck with your surgery today, hope all goes well :greg:

Last edited:

rholbrook

Nice.....hope the surgery goes well today. That one shot from the side, I can almost see a car seat in the window. The extra room in the back will be great.

Last edited:

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
X Infinity on the Tits and Bad Ass-ness!!!! :greg:
As far as the height goes of 10'6, you also have to keep in mind that that is with the suspension at ride height on the Scout as well. I remember when we talked about that truck in the first place and the whole dovetail, et al. We talked about strapping down the Scout and not only either chaining or strapping the axles in place, but also strapping the body/suspension down so it can't unload on bumps and throw the whole truck the wrong way. So when you strap the Scout's suspension down I would assume you would probably be getting it down another 6" or so (theoretically anyway!:cool:)
Just to add another $.02 to the United Bank of Cheston!!
The rig is looking really sweet and I can't wait to see it in person! The dovetail came out perfect and it looks like the bed width couldn't have been better! I bet the rear steer is a huge help in loading up on the truck! About the only thing I think I would have done different is to add the sunken tubs for the front wheels to sit down into for added security and to drop the height a little bit (it would also lower the front of the Scout so it sits more flat). Just an additional idea that you can always add down the road.
Hope the knee surgery came out well and didn't hurt too bad, but most of all I hope it fixed your knee!!!!
Talk to you soon brother!!!
- Matt

ChestonScout

wulp.

surgery went well but I can hardly move. Going from the couch to the bathroom wears me right out. I might be down for longer than I hoped. We will see

Sumo

Xykon: Order of the Stick
I've always really liked the flatbed or ramp truck style crawler haulers. Very nice Cheston! May you have a speedy recovery from your surgery.