Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Nice pile-o-parts :D
When you assemble those outers make sure the Yukon stub doesn't extend too far past the drive flange.
I had to shave 1/8" off my stubs down to get the cap bolted.

edit: here's my old d44 shaft vs. 35 spline yukon stuff
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/gravesdiggerxj/Krazy Fabworks/TJ/100_1904.jpg

I read about that issue last week so I measured the 30 & the 35 and luckily they are the same length with the c-clip notch in the same spot. :cool:

Gonna make EJS?

I wish! Too much small stuff that I still need to do and only 1 weekend left to work on it before EJS. Current goal is RME BBQ.

LT.

I really want to see your rig once completed. Perhaps pick up some pointers and get a few ideas from you for my rig. Would you be willing to show me some ideas that you may have?

LT.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Body panel tabs, Belly pans, boat side plates and primer. Well, some primer.

DSC08249.JPG

DSC08245.JPG DSC08246.JPG DSC08247.JPG

I thought I'd share this little idea. That section of plate (16ga) is a first defense to a broken driveline should it try to flip up toward the rear passenger seat. I've seen u-joint caps act as projectiles up through the floor so I wanted to add in a little precaution and a double layer of metal for anything that might want to head in that direction and keep my kiddos safe.
DSC08251.JPG

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I really want to see your rig once completed. Perhaps pick up some pointers and get a few ideas from you for my rig. Would you be willing to show me some ideas that you may have?

LT.

Thanks! I'd be willing to show any ideas you want. I learn most of everything I know from everybody else so of course I'd be willing to pass it on. :D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Floors are done. After much deliberation, I decided to make only the center console area removable. The rest of the flooring is welded in. Since the pan come off pretty easily and allows for a lot of access, I figured I would rather not deal with noisy bolted in floors.

Hopefully I'll get the rest of it primered tomorrow and start coating it. I going to go with a hammerite black for the tubing. I still need to finish welding the axles and clean them up a lot more.

DSC08267.JPG DSC08268.JPG DSC08269.JPG DSC08270.JPG

This thing is a life saver. Borrowed from a friend, cuts through the sheet metal quickly and painlessly. :cool:
DSC08272.JPG

Cleaned the engine up a little bit. Hoping to do some more cleaning on it tomorrow. That took a lot degreaser. :rofl:
DSC08273.JPG

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
edit: here's my old d44 shaft vs. 35 spline yukon stuff
100_1904.jpg

I want a dana60 now :mad:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
First coat of black. Few spots need to be touched up. :cool:
DSC08275.JPG DSC08276.JPG DSC08279.JPG

Finally got around to welding in some gussets on the front axle

DSC08282.JPG DSC08285.JPG

Also getting the steering tabs burned in.
DSC08281.JPG

Color testing the hood... I want it darker but that could be the result of a single coat on light primer. I want more of a maroon color for the hood & body.
DSC08289.JPG

Next steps include cleaning up the axles, painting and setting up the gears.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Damn Shane, it really is impressive how quickly you're making progress... I'm sure the rest of us have no idea how many hours you have into the build so far. The chassis looks great painted!

Amy

Limited Supply Of Sanity
It is looking SO awesome! WOW! Only bad part is missing you on the weekends! lol PLEASE FINISH IT!!! hahaha seriously -_- <3

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Arrg... I'd have my front diff setup tonight if my digital caliper didn't die on me.
Hopefully I can get them both done by tomorrow.

Currently a huge mess in the garage too, thanks to all the lovely snow & cold.

Attachments

• IMG00530-20110430-2333.jpg
    IMG00530-20110430-2333.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG00531-20110430-2333.jpg
    IMG00531-20110430-2333.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 48

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That's why my digital one stays in the drawer 100% of the time, and my dial caliper gets used all the time.