Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
there is something about running solo that i really enjoy! your old solo run video up upper heldo years ago has always been an inspiration to me.. that being said.. i would never run prichett solo! BFE is close to the tow rig.. prichett is close to .. nothing!

It's not that far of a walk out. :D

mesha

By endurance we conquer
So another question.

How did you keep the metal shavings out of the calipers when you drilled and tapped them? I can't find the fittings so I will need to drill them out.

What size did you end up going with? Where did you buy the tap?

AaronPaige

If your doing what I had to do, I used a Chevy caliper and my willwood calipers were pipe thread I think 1/4 in, but my hole was close enuf that I just ran the pipe tap it with out a bigger hole, I used grease on the tap to catch what I could then used compressed air and blew out the caliper so far all is good, should be able to get a tap at any home depo type store

mesha

By endurance we conquer
If your doing what I had to do, I used a Chevy caliper and my willwood calipers were pipe thread I think 1/4 in, but my hole was close enuf that I just ran the pipe tap it with out a bigger hole, I used grease on the tap to catch what I could then used compressed air and blew out the caliper so far all is good, should be able to get a tap at any home depo type store

that just might do the trick.

so no drilling, just send the tap through.

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
that just might do the trick.

so no drilling, just send the tap through.

This is pretty much what I did, just tapped it. I also used grease to hold onto the shavings. Cleaned it out really well with cleaner and air after.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
This is pretty much what I did, just tapped it. I also used grease to hold onto the shavings. Cleaned it out really well with cleaner and air after.

It worked great (until the tap broke off in the caliper). Got that all taken care of and the rest went smoothly. I opened the bleeder valve up and hooked up the air hose to it. The air blew all the chips out. It got a little messy with the greece and metal shaving blowing out, but not too bad.

Thanks for the help!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
It worked great (until the tap broke off in the caliper). Got that all taken care of and the rest went smoothly. I opened the bleeder valve up and hooked up the air hose to it. The air blew all the chips out. It got a little messy with the greece and metal shaving blowing out, but not too bad.

Thanks for the help!

Excellent! I'm glad it worked out for you. Did you use anything to seal the threads? I ignorantly used normal teflon tape which I guess the brake fluid can eat away... but I haven't had any leaks yet. Thinking about replacing it with something else before the next trip.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Excellent! I'm glad it worked out for you. Did you use anything to seal the threads? I ignorantly used normal teflon tape which I guess the brake fluid can eat away... but I haven't had any leaks yet. Thinking about replacing it with something else before the next trip.

I used teflon tape.:( I am ignorant too I guess. What kind of stuff are we supposed to be using?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I used teflon tape.:( I am ignorant too I guess. What kind of stuff are we supposed to be using?

It's not leaked for me yet so it will probably be good. I've heard there are different types of tape for different types of fluid/gas. :cool:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
It's not leaked for me yet so it will probably be good. I've heard there are different types of tape for different types of fluid/gas. :cool:

Yellow is labeled as "gas" tape. I've always assumed it was more resilient...