Time for another dirt bike - which one to get for a short rider?

sixstringsteve

no problem. I'm the one laughing because I bought my last two bikes so cheap. I already sold the xr200 for double what I paid (and the buyer still got a screamin deal) and I bought this WR cheap. I rode a trials bike tonight and I'm in love, and I'd rather have it than the WR. I'll be upfront, I'm making money on this WR. I end up making money in about 1 out of every 10 vehicles I get :D

sixstringsteve

I finally got a bike I can flatfoot on.

16949479.jpg

it's a 2004 Gas Gas TXT Pro 300. It's a 2-stroke 300cc with more grunt than I know what to do with. 1-3rd gears are lower than any bike's 1st gear I've ever used, and 5th and 6th are pretty zippy. I'm looking forward to fooling around on it and seeing where this little thing can take me.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Yes, more than ever. Im down to putt around on Thursday night, then on Saturday Caleb is going to lead us on a trail. See the "upcoming moto trip" thread.

sixstringsteve

LAmbert park in alpine has some fun trails. Not much in the way of hills or technical trails, but It's fun to explore. It's probably not worth bringing your bike down for...

sixstringsteve

They don't make a seat for this model. The closest thing I could get it called a buttrest. I have no clue how long I can ride it standing up. I'd guess that I'd be ok for an hour or two. I can sit down if needed, but It's a little awkward and I probably look like a clown (then again, I'm sure I already look like a clown on this thing).

One thing is for sure, It's a totally different feel than a mx bike. It feels a lot more like a bicycle than a dirt bike. The low center of gravity is amazing. Its almost more like learning to use stilts or a pogo stick for the first time. It acts like an extension of your body. It takes some getting used to. It responds more to balance than you'd think. You end up steering with your feet rather than your hands.

I still totally suck at it, but It's a lot of fun. I can ride it in my backyard. It's quieter than my lawn mower. I'm having a blast with it so far, but I don't think I could even ride up a curb yet. I have managed to pull a few slow wheelies, and it's really easy to control.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

The xr200 was a lot rougher than the PO made it sound. So it needed more work than I was willing to put into it. But I still think an xr200 would be a great bike up in AF canyon. The suspension is pretty weak on the '93+ xr200s. Most people buy the shocks and forks off the older ones and put them on the newer ones. I could see myself on another xr200 (but it'd be an '86-91).

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Think I'm going to skip the ride tomorrow, but I will plan to be at 4 corners saturday at 1

sixstringsteve

I'm still thinking that a pitster pro 230 LC would be a great bike. The SC has the right seat height, but the wheelbase is just too short (50"). The LC has a wheelbase of 55" (perfect for me), but the seat height is 36.8"... too tall...

I need to throw my leg over one to see what it's like, but nobody has the LC in stock.

sixstringsteve

I'm still toying with the idea of a kx100, but with heavy modifications.

There are 3 problems with the KX100.

1) wheels are not full size
2) wheelbase is way too short
3) front rake is way too lax. It feels like riding a chopper.

Things I love about the KX100:
1) kips valve, so it has more torque
2) seat height is perfect
3) 150 lbs dry (that's only 6 lbs more than my trials bike)
4) really good parts - USD forks, disc brakes front and rear, water-cooled
5) 10.8" of travel - just enough for trail riding, but not so much that it makes it tall
6) low seat height

So here's what I'm thinking...

1) find a cheap kx100
2) add a 10-16 oz fww
3) re-lace the wheels to 21/18 wheels (possibly a trials tubeless rim in the rear?
4) rear trials tire
5) stretch the rear swingarm about 2" to fit the 18" wheel and lengthen the wheelbase
6) this is the scary part - extend the front of the frame and change the head tube angle to be steeper. I'm thinking a 2-3" stretch will be just about right.

After all that, I should have a super lightweight bike that has a low seat height, good suspension, great motor, and fun to ride. That's my thinking anyway...

Last edited:

MattL

I'm still toying with the idea of a kx100, but with heavy modifications.

There are 3 problems with the KX100.

1) wheels are not full size
2) wheelbase is way too short
3) front rake is way too lax. It feels like riding a chopper.

Things I love about the KX100:
1) kips valve, so it has more torque
2) seat height is perfect
3) 150 lbs dry (that's only 6 lbs more than my trials bike)
4) really good parts - USD forks, disc brakes front and rear, water-cooled
5) 10.8" of travel - just enough for trail riding, but not so much that it makes it tall
6) low seat height

So here's what I'm thinking...

1) find a cheap kx100
2) add a 10-16 oz fww
3) re-lace the wheels to 21/18 wheels (possibly a trials tubeless rim in the rear?
4) rear trials tire
5) stretch the rear swingarm about 2" to fit the 18" wheel and lengthen the wheelbase
6) this is the scary part - extend the front of the frame and change the head tube angle to be steeper. I'm thinking a 2-3" stretch will be just about right.

After all that, I should have a super lightweight bike that has a low seat height, good suspension, great motor, and fun to ride. That's my thinking anyway...

one question..
where do you find all the time? to you have a time stop continueum?

sixstringsteve

True. When I had a tv, it was a black hole that sucked any spare minutes I had. But I don't care about professional sports, so I don't miss the tv at all.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

The 89 was the first year of the WR and it was actually labeled as a YZ250WR whereas the later years were just labeled WR250Z. The 89's are getting rare these days and I don't think they made to many to begin with. A 38mm Keihin PWK carb with a JD needle kit would be the only upgrade I can think of--the WR's are very potent right out of the box. Put me first on the list if you decide to part ways in the future ;)

Where would I find a 38mm keihin PWK carb? What will it do that my current carb will not do? I think I either need new reed valves or I need to re-jet it. It doesn't idle, and it acts like it's running rich. I'm still torn between making the WR work for me or getting the small KX 100. I really like the idea of the KX100, since this WR feels big and heavy to me.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Where would I find a 38mm keihin PWK carb? What will it do that my current carb will not do? I think I either need new reed valves or I need to re-jet it. It doesn't idle, and it acts like it's running rich. I'm still torn between making the WR work for me or getting the small KX 100. I really like the idea of the KX100, since this WR feels big and heavy to me.

Steve, Does your bike have a round slide or a flat slide Mikuni? Every WR i've seen has the round slide, but the breakdown shows a flat slide TM which can really be a bear to tune in.

Have you tried turning in (clockwise) the idle screw? Assuming you have the TM Mikuni it will be the philips head screw with a jam nut. Loosen the jam nut and screw that in until you get it to idle. If you do and it will only idle at a very high RPM you've more than likely have a plugged pilot circuit. Pull off the float bowl and locate the pilot jet. I would remove the pilot jet completely and set it aside. With a can of carb cleaner spray it in the hole your jet came out of. You should see fuel spray in 2 places 1. is directly up into the throat of the carb (near where the slide would be) and 2. You should also see a stream shoot out into the front portion of the throat (as if it would be spraying directly into the engine if the carb was on the motor) if you see a spray in these two places you're good to go there. Next look at your pilot jet. Hold it in the sunlight and make sure you can see a nice round hole through the middle. Its a tiny hole so any crud or gunk no matter how small will really throw your jetting off. This thread is great for helping you tune in the pilot jet. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/823120-selecting-the-correct-pilot-jet-and-setting-the-fuel-screw/

The PWK's come on a lot of different bikes bikes but I don't think you 'need' one at this point. The advantages of the PWK are great low/slow speed jetting and quick throttle response which make them an exceptional carb for trail riding. Do you remember my 02 CR? I swapped a PWK onto that bike.. They are the best carb you can get imo but again I think you'd be fine with what you have now.

Have you tried taking the seat off and riding it? You can cut a ton of height out of a seat if you don't mind sacrificing comfort...