Time for another dirt bike - which one to get for a short rider?

GAR

I put Harrison's CRF150RB with Rekluse and bigger fuel tank on KSL Saturday evening and it sold quickly. Now I need to find a replacement. I am thinking either a KTM 200 or 250 smoker. Anyone know someone with a 200 for sell????? Grant????
Shoot me a txt if you want to hook up this week. I'm leaving Sunday morning to head home. Nine eight nine - six three nine - six six three three

rholbrook

I wanted to make sure Grant was good and gone before I posted this. Harrison was lucky enough to get Grants KTM 200XCW. He is soooo excited to have it and with one ride under his belt even if it wasn't a real hard ride. We were going to re-spring it with some shorter springs but he is really close to fitting it so we will wait and see how he does on a more technical ride. He should be fine though. He just needs to be smart on where he stops so he can get a good kick into the starter. The bottom picture shows that it fits him better than it does. He is tippy toed when sitting on it better.
B7E96BE1-2D28-467E-8FB8-41F90B139D6D.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

5A25415D-5EE6-4944-BDB1-33F5FE2E7AA5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I just ordered a Pipe Guard for it and Harrison is telling me to hold off on a Rekluse and OX LHB Brake for now. He stalled it 3 times on our ride in some easy areas that he said he just forgot that it didnt have a rekluse like his CRF150RB. Mom is in charge of outfitting him in some non-Honda gear so he will look hot.

Thanks again Grant! After Thursday night I thought you were taking it home but we are glad you decided to go to a 300. We were headed to Boise to go look at another one and we wanted yours.

Last edited:

rholbrook

This was dropped off to me to get running. It hasn't been ridden since 2012 and not much prior to that. It's a 2003 KDX 220R and its in great shape. I cleaned the tank and carb today, put a little fuel in it a it fired on the third kick. It seems really boggy off idle but screams to life once I get on it.

Steve(six string), do you remember what pilot you ended up with in yours? This one has a 42. It's possible some the pilot jet could have some crap plugging it. I didn't run a needle into the holesimage.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

That's probably a 220r.i don't think they made a 230. I don't remember my jetting settings, but you can spend half an hour digging through my newest kdx hybrid thread to try and find it. My 220 had plenty of low end. Once you dial in the jetting on those bikes they really come alive.

Needle position made a big difference too. There is some great info on dialing in the kdx carb online in the kdx forums.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Soak all the brass parts in the carb in ammonia for15 minutes and that will dissolve a lot of crud you cannot easily see.

Better yet, just dunk the entire carb in a 50/50 mix of Pine Sol and water. Pull the bowl off, let it sit 2-3 days in the mixture and it'll be great. It's safe on rubber and plastic and will make a carb look new. I've used it a few times, its amazing how well it works.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-pine-sol-degreaser-thread.560117/

GAR

I'm glad Harrison is liking! I hope I like my 250 xc as much, waiting on a couple more parts and I be able to take it for a ride

rholbrook

Steve, I meant 220R. I don't know why I put 230 other than I have a 230 in the garage as well. Seems like the magic number on the pilot is 42 on the forums at this altitude. I will get it figured out

rholbrook

30 years ago I started going with my future wife. In her garage her father had a 1947 James Model ML English 100cc motorcycle all in pieces. For the last 25 years I have been trying to talk him into letting me restore it and then I would let him have it until he dies then he can give it to me. When he has had the money to get it going he hasn't had the time. When he has had the time, he hasn't had the money. Seems like a story we all know too well.

We came to visit him this weekend and this is what I find
6A9EC842-97C0-4F77-907B-A416B07E2589.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
4B10E7A9-D955-40E8-B6A9-695112C8B4F0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
C1CA7799-6764-47EA-8BD1-DE3651F16394.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

rholbrook

Spark

I need some help on this old James motorcycle. If you look at the fly wheel you will see three wires coming out on the left hand side and a bigger one on the right going to the spark plug. You will also see a condenser above the flywheel. Any idea how this all goes together? There is spark coming out of one of the three wires.
4B10E7A9-D955-40E8-B6A9-695112C8B4F0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]