Tonkamans little Cracka

Tonkaman

I checked the radiator hoses for pressure and coolant for milkshake, both looked normal. I also sprayed out my radiator and AC condenser to be sure they weren't filled with mud, but I didn't get much out of them.

The truck just just off again after running in park for about 2 minutes. I popped the good for 2 minutes and it fired right up.

What are the coolant hoses you removed from the throttle body for? Did it effect cold starts or emissions at all? They practically sit on my ignition coils so I may try eliminating them also

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
They heat the throttle body but Utah isn't exactly Alaska or Canada cold and with the heat of the SC, I wasn't one bit worried about it. 3+ years and it was never an issue.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
They heat the throttle body

Forgive my obvious internet mechanicing, but..
Cold air combusts better, providing more power, better mpg.. Right?
Using coolant to heat the throttle body does nothing for cold starts, as the coolant is not warm yet.. Once the coolant is warm, the engine is warm and would produce enough ambient heat for any cold weather needs..
When coolant is hot, on a hot day, it would only hinder good performance.

So my conclusion is that using coolant to warm intake air is completely pointless. Right??

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
No, it is utilized to prevent ice forming in the throttle body during running conditions at cold temps. Common on many different autos suited for cold climates.

It would be interesting to know what effect it had on the actual air pre and post throttle body, I suspect a very minimal difference despite a wide delta in coolant temps.

Tonkaman

My truck decided to get angry today and popped up p0351 and p0304. Naturally I assume it's related to my never ending ignition issues so I decided to test each cool again.

When I test primary resistance all 3 coils read 0, what am I doing wrong? The secondary resistance is in spec on all 3ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426206910.468087.jpg

Tonkaman

2 days ago after testing the coils and replacing them I reset the codes and the truck has been running like normal. That same day I noticed that I was low on antifreeze so I decided to drain my radiator and replace it with all new fluid. I was surprised to find I was a gallon low! After filling it up I've been keeping an eye on it to find out where it's been going.

Today I left the house to run errands and my CEL kicks on then immediately the truck is running really rough. The scan gauge is giving me codes p0300, p0304, and p0306 which means 2 cylinders are misfiring. As I slowed down for a red light the truck dies leaving me blocking traffic while I crank it over frantically. I cleared the codes with the scan gauge and it was able to fire up but I had to rev it up over 4k rpm to keep it running. I used my time to get out of the intersection and to a safe parking spot till my rescue arrived.
I popped the hood to hear the coolant boiling in my radiator and saw right away that antifreeze was all over underneath the truck. It looks to me like it's coming from the head gasket on the driver side which just happens to be cylinder 4 and 6 like the codes had shown. As we started the truck to get it up on the trailer my exhaust just filled with antifreeze and it poured out the tailpipe and the muffler weep hole.

So much for a fresh head job on that uber reliable Toyota motor!!

Huge thanks to Jeeper for coming straight over and giving me a tow to my trusty mechanics. Thanks Brian, put it in my tab!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12904

Wow Derek, you've had horrible luck with that truck! :(

From what I've seen of the truck it's less bad luck and more the guy that rebuilt it cut every corner he could to fix it cheap but still give it the "cool" factor.

Sucks Derek. I might know where a 3.4 is sitting if you want me to check?

Tonkaman

Honestly an engine swap hadn't even crossed my mind. The engine does have 235k miles on it, now I'm really conflicted....

How much would I expect to pay labor for an engine swap? How much are low mile engines going for?

The real kicker is the transmission started acting up the other day. I hope I don't have it back for a week just to put a new transmission in it as well!

Adding to it all we're supposed to be building a house so my funds can't really shuffle much. I have plenty of cash but the banks want it to stay put for contingency funds

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Honestly an engine swap hadn't even crossed my mind. The engine does have 235k miles on it, now I'm really conflicted....

How much would I expect to pay labor for an engine swap? How much are low mile engines going for?

The real kicker is the transmission started acting up the other day. I hope I don't have it back for a week just to put a new transmission in it as well!

Adding to it all we're supposed to be building a house so my funds can't really shuffle much. I have plenty of cash but the banks want it to stay put for contingency funds

And we have a very important trip planned in the VERY near future!!!!!!!

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm down for a rebuild party. The 3.4 in my wife's 4Runner is going to need a rebuild eventually, I'd love to get oriented on somebody else's truck first. :D

Tonkaman

Well as much as I'd love to be the guinea pig I'm too short on time to pull this off myself. I have a busy spring schedule that I don't want to interrupt.