Tyson's 03 Tacoma Mild Build

Coco

I love that truck! Hey tysone, when its time to slel this one let me know :D Or Ill trade you my sweet runner hahaha

all joking aside, very clean truck!

sixstringsteve

Hey coco, in the past 2 months you've had your runner, how many times have you offered to trade it for another vehicle? over 50? :D

Cascadia

Undecided
I didn't get any sparks in my ears. Probably cause my hair is somewhat longer right now and it covers my ears. And my beard right now is pretty thick and an inch long so no burns on the face. I'm sure I have some melted hairs though.

I don't know if I'm ever going to sell this truck coco. At least I don't think so right now. When I get a new truck next year I plan to retire this to trail and camping duties.

Coco

Hey coco, in the past 2 months you've had your runner, how many times have you offered to trade it for another vehicle? over 50? :D

No, just twice, I actually really love my runner!! But if someone wanted to trade for a built vehicle (It will be expensive to build mine) I would possibly consider it :D would love a supercharger too

Cascadia

Undecided
Got up this morning and worked on the passenger slider. It went probably twice as fast as the first one. Only problem was the front leg of the slider wouldn't reach the frame completely. It was about a 14 inch away and after I pulled it in it was about an 1/8th of an inch away from the frame. I made it work though. After I welded it all up I rubbed some roofing silicon on all the welds and tops where I didn't weld. There was no reason to do it on the welds other than I felt like it. The stuff was super sticky and nasty. It was also black. I think it was kinda like tar in a tube. After I let that dry for a little bit I primered all of the legs and where I sanded the frame down. Then I put 2 coats of the hammered paint I was using on. I think they look great and my mission was accomplished.

I had 3 goals for these sliders.

1. Protect the rockers of my truck. I have no doubt my rockers will be protected.
2. Make it easier for my wife to get in the truck. My wife already tried one out and she says it's way easier to get in.
3. Make it so my yorkie (Tash) can jump up in the truck again on his own. I got in my truck to back it out to sweep out the garage and Tash jumped right up on the step and right in to the truck.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg

Cascadia

Undecided
Does anyone know why the k&n cold air intake is so loud? Is that pretty normal? I've always had just the k&n filters in the stock setup. If I use the cone filter with a normalish setup will it still be loud? Or is the noise coming from the cone filter?

Cascadia

Undecided
So I started working on my truck last night. I planned on installing my 3" allpro expo springs and ome coils and springs up front. Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I had to cut the bolts off to even get my stock springs off. Now that I've got both sides off I can't figure out the bushings. I've got 4 that say leaf spring and 4 that say frame tube shackle. It seems to me that they would all go in the springs. I don't really know though because I've never dealt with leafs. Plus, I don't have frame tube shackles, just the stock shackles and stock front hanger. And I only have 2 metal sleeves. Should I have 4 of them?

If I had some kind of instructions I could probably figure it out but they didn't come with any and there aren't any online. Any thoughts?

Caleb

Does anyone know why the k&n cold air intake is so loud? Is that pretty normal? I've always had just the k&n filters in the stock setup. If I use the cone filter with a normalish setup will it still be loud? Or is the noise coming from the cone filter?

The cone filter is the loud part. With that said, I quickly pulled my k&n cold air intake off my Tacoma due to it being so loud and annoying. I went with a stock setup with a normal k&n, I noticed no loss of power and no fuel mileage difference, but it was tons quieter.

Cascadia

Undecided
So I'm not as stupid as I thought. Steve helped me figure out that I've got the wrong bushings from allpro. So looks like I'm truckless for a few days until I get my new bushings sent. Bummer!

Cascadia

Undecided
I lucked out and Panos had a set of the correct bushings for my springs. I brought them home, put them in the springs and tried to mount it up. More bad news. I am not having any good luck with this truck.

The springs seem to be about 4 inches short. I mounted them on the shackle bolt and rotated the shackle forward until I could get it in the front hanger. By the time I got the bolt in the rear shackle was way far past 90* and was inverted. At the same time, if I put the center pin in the hole the axle was moved back about 4 inches. To the point that quite a bit of ds splines were showing. If I flipped them around the splines were almost all the way out and the axle was pushed about 6 inches back. I'm thinking the springs are wrong. I don't know what else to think. This sucks!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Bummer. I've got 3 pairs of the OME Dakar Tacoma 2.5/3" springs in stock, I can't say I have any personal experience with the All Pro's but the Dakars have hauled my gear all over the west for a few hundred thousand miles. No complaints at all. They come with the front bushing (fixed end) pre-installed and you can use stock rear bushings and or OME bushings (they come available for use with stock shackles and for use with OME's greasable shackles). I'm in the shop all day tomorrow if your interested, give me a call.

Caleb

I wasn't going to rub it in but I was going to suggest doing it right from the get go and getting some OME springs from Kurt :p That does suck to get wrong parts.

Cascadia

Undecided
If I can't get the problem resolved then I'll definitely be giving you a call. Until then I have a 2 wheeled Tacoma taking up both spots in my garage and my wife will be hauling me and my trailer to work.:eek:

chans

You probably have the 1995.5 - 1997 Tacoma springs. They are shorter. Or an earlier truck spring.

Cascadia

Undecided
Yes they should fit. But I think allpro sent Panos the wrong springs and I bought them off him before he even tried them on his 4 door. The part number on the springs says toy33. That doesn't match what the site has listed. Nick is trying to get it all straightened out. If he can't he said he'll buy them back off me. He's a good guy.
The description says they should fit stock hangers and shackles:

https://www.allprooffroad.com/9504tacomarearsuspension/9504leafsprings

Cascadia

Undecided
I got all my front ome suspensin from Kurt but I bought the springs a while back when Nick was parting his project out. I got a good deal. Otherwise I would have bought everything from Kurt.
I wasn't going to rub it in but I was going to suggest doing it right from the get go and getting some OME springs from Kurt :p That does suck to get wrong parts.