Ultra 80 Buggy Build

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Your running the manual trans? Adapter from engine to mini truck driveline.

No im running the auto trans that came behind the lexus V8 cant remember the trans model but i have a adapter coming for it to adapt it to a mini truck t-case i built with marlins chromoly 4.7 comp gears

iamsparticus

i want to make a valve body controller but in the mean time i have the computer to run it and im making a custom shifter for it

iamsparticus

things have been busy i got the front bump stops set and some little tube and cage work done. still waiting on my adapter and im going to get more tube tonight so i suspect it will be driveable by monday or tuesday and totally finished by next weekend. i have a custom seat from PRP on its way, black tweed where you sit, white piping, and red pleather sides with my companies logo embroiderd in the head rest. seat should be here by july 2nd in the mean time i have a couple race seats i will use

iamsparticus

finally got more tube last night and got little more cage work done before i had to quit, had to work on a customrs vehicle till 10:00pm. Here is some pictures of the progressIMG_20130621_223132.jpgIMG_20130621_223100.jpg

krany

kranberry
have you ever heard of a tube bender? bends are stronger than mitered joints ever will be. plus I will guarantee that this will never pass ultra 4 inspections.
jmr_model1000.jpg

Last edited:

iamsparticus

have you ever heard of a tube bender? bends are stronger than mitered joints ever will be. plus I will guarantee that this will never pass ultra 4 inspections.
jmr_model1000.jpg

Sorry krany but miter joints are not weaker and they allow for the more tubes to tie into one point. There is a reason that all pro2, pro4 trucks and desert trucks as well as Nascar build their chassis using nothing but miter joints aside from maybe one or two bends. im 100% sure this will pass any saftey inpection when im done, thanks for the concern though

iamsparticus

by the way incase anyone is wondering the work i have done so far on the cage is just a skeleton outline i have over a 100 more feet of tube that is being added in

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
There is a reason that all pro2, pro4 trucks and desert trucks as well as Nascar build their chassis using nothing but miter joints aside from maybe one or two bends.

Sorry, but nope.

A few quick examples:

lm-chassis-350.jpg

P4%20RR%20Qtrt.jpg

F48529.jpg

Jeff Kincaid does use more mitered joints than most--and they certainly can be made stronger than a bent tube, mostly due to the tube deformation in a bend. But you'll notice the fitment of all the joints is IMMACULATE (meaning no gaps before welding), as well as well gusseted.

11.jpg

Coco

I was going to stay out of this one, but when he said that milter joints were stronger, I did the same thing Carl did, and got the same results. I just chose not to post the pics.