Ultra 80 Buggy Build

sixstringsteve

Jeff Kincaid does use more mitered joints than most--and they certainly can be made stronger than a bent tube, mostly due to the tube deformation in a bend. But you'll notice the fitment of all the joints is IMMACULATE (meaning no gaps before welding), as well as well gusseted.

11.jpg

That's hot. Forgive the ignorance, but why are the welds all copper colored? Is it just the wire he uses?

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
yes i was wrong to say ALL of those chassis are miter joints but most that i have seen are and our joints are all tight almost perfect fits on my chassis with the exception of one or two and have several tubes tied to together at all points. Miter joints are a great way to build a chassis, but not the only, bends are great also. Ive built several cages and chassis with bends, so im trying the mitered style. And like carl said if done right miter joints are stronger. I am so glad everyone is so concerned with it

iamsparticus

Here's a Nascar-ish chassis just to throw into the mix:

q60_w1024_h1024_images_DSCF1025.JPG
These nascar-ish examples are great examples of well built tube chassis for nascar but aside from that the other pics only have a few bent pieces the rest is mitered like i said. The point of a miter chassis is to add asmuch triangluation and to have the chassis support its self as a unit no matter where the impact hits

krany

kranberry
The difference between those tube chassis and yours aare the majority of them are cad drawn, cnc bent, lazer notched, professionally tig welded with absolutely no gaps and perfect copes or miters. And yours is far from that much precision. That is all.

iamsparticus

well im glad a bunch of non- pro chassis builders are telling me that my chassis is going to fail because aside from carl maybe none of you have more than garage experience so your welcome to give suggestions on ideas but i would appricate it if you kept your negative banter out of this build thread. The purpose of this thread is to show the build of my buggy if you dont like it thats fine. None of the slammers have come and seen the new buggy so dont try and say i dont have a percsion or well built chassis. My 4runner was not even close to as well built as this is going to be and it held up fine, with the exception of engine mounts breaking, not a problem ever.

zukijames

I think cage design makes or breaks a cage

and I don't think anyone can argue this is stronger than your last one and it held up fine. Tech on the other hand might be an issue.

most cages on here are not going to hold up to a 100 mph front flip followed by 10 barrel roles

but the miter vs bends has already been pretty beat to death all over the Internet

i would make sure to put plenty of gussets on every joint.

maybe some bent tube gussets might be kinda cool

iamsparticus

I think cage design makes or breaks a cage

and I don't think anyone can argue this is stronger than your last one and it held up fine. Tech on the other hand might be an issue.

most cages on here are not going to hold up to a 100 mph front flip followed by 10 barrel roles

but the miter vs bends has already been pretty beat to death all over the Internet

i would make sure to put plenty of gussets on every joint.

maybe some bent tube gussets might be kinda cool

totally agree james there will be 3inch by 3inch gussets at most juctions or tube gussets

cjncustoms

If this was the absolute strongest and best way to build an entire chassis, then how come every single fabricator that builds ultra4, p2 prolites and p4 cars and trophy trucks isn't building them this way? Look at every single build on pirate and race desert and tell me they're all strictly built with miters. They're not! And I'm sure that's for a reason. Not just for fun. If you can't take a little constructive criticism then don't post a build thread on any forum. And what makes you more of a "pro" than anybody else? I know for a fact some of these people have built way more rigs than you, so that makes them just as.... actually more qualified, than you.

On a side note, I can't wait to see the finished product:D

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
If this was the absolute strongest and best way to build an entire chassis, then how come every single fabricator that builds ultra4, p2 prolites and p4 cars and trophy trucks isn't building them this way? Look at every single build on pirate and race desert and tell me they're all strictly built with miters. They're not! And I'm sure that's for a reason. Not just for fun. If you can't take a little constructive criticism then don't post a build thread on any forum. And what makes you more of a "pro" than anybody else? I know for a fact some on these people have built way more rigs than you, so that makes them just as.... actually more qualified, than you.

On a side note, I can't wait to see the finished product:D

But Calvin...your rig was built in a garage so your opinion doesnt matter.......:D