Ultra 80 Buggy Build

McGhie

O hey there Pard!
Also Toyota never keeps anything the same. You need adapters to mount anything to them, And they put things in the most inconvenient places. Hardest motors to do anything on!

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
How Heavy is your V8 and size dimensions? Compare that to a chevy motor!! Also availability of parts. Have you ever been at a race in a strange town and need parts? Good luck finding toyota junk!

the lexus V8 is a all aluminium V8 it weighs 390lbs a LS generally is about 500lbs
the dimensions are roughly the same except for the lexus is a little wider. I have called on senors, oil, water pumps and other items all avaiable from napa or orielly's in stock. And yes ive had to find parts in some small towns and it is very possible that they dont have the toyota parts but that just means you need to bring parts that might fail, but i would be willing to bet that any GM v8 in a race will fail sooner and more often than this motor. Show me a LS motor in a race buggy that has been run hard for a season that dosent need a bottom or top end service/rebuild. I will show you many Lexus V8 race cars and buggies that can go several hard seasons with no such problems. I did my research before i chose the engine

iamsparticus

Also Toyota never keeps anything the same. You need adapters to mount anything to them, And they put things in the most inconvenient places. Hardest motors to do anything on!

If you learn the tricks, like any other brand, it is no harder to work ona toyota V8 motor plus we are talking in a buggy much easier to get to things plus there is lots of common size fittings and bolts on toyotas more than Gms by far you just have to know them

cjncustoms

the lexus V8 is a all aluminium V8 it weighs 390lbs a LS generally is about 500lbs
the dimensions are roughly the same except for the lexus is a little wider. I have called on senors, oil, water pumps and other items all avaiable from napa or orielly's in stock. And yes ive had to find parts in some small towns and it is very possible that they dont have the toyota parts but that just means you need to bring parts that might fail, but i would be willing to bet that any GM v8 in a race will fail sooner and more often than this motor. Show me a LS motor in a race buggy that has been run hard for a season that dosent need a bottom or top end service/rebuild. I will show you many Lexus V8 race cars and buggies that can go several hard seasons with no such problems. I did my research before i chose the engine

We ran chad schoons 6.0 Ls all season pretty hard in the regional series and she still runs like a top!! Theres 1;)

zukijames

1uz is a cool motor , Ls is more practical

1uz does love boost .. And nitrous but completely stock they don't put out much yours new was like 250 hp at crank.
Not everyone likes the same stuff not a big deal

Ls starter goes out pre running a race in Moab? Get a new one change in an hour?(just guessing no idea what's involved on Ls starter)
1uz starter goes out pack up ,go home , order part , start pulling 1uz apart ...

iamsparticus

1uz is a cool motor , Ls is more practical

1uz does love boost .. And nitrous but completely stock they don't put out much yours new was like 250 hp at crank.
Not everyone likes the same stuff not a big deal

Ls starter goes out pre running a race in Moab? Get a new one change in an hour?(just guessing no idea what's involved on Ls starter)
1uz starter goes out pack up ,go home , order part , start pulling 1uz apart ...

good points james the starter on the 1uz is a pain in the butt to change, but they also last forever it seems. LS motor defienatly makes alot of stock horse power but like you said the power is easyily made with boost on a 1uz. The LS motors are more practical in someways but honestly the more i do with this set up the more i like it and parts are more common then you think. Lots of sweet buggies run the LS motor and do very well with it. I could of gone with a LS but it was 2 times the amount of money to run that motor, i needed a custom harness and reflashed computer on top of the motor and trans then a adapter to my built transfer case i already had. The Lexus motor and trans with adapter cost me 980.00 LS would of cost me 1780.00 all this not including the fuel lines, power steering adapters and so on. its all the little stuff that gets you.

Oh and a LS starter is very easy to change 10 to 15 mins

Cascadia

Undecided
How old are the 1uz motors? What years did they run? What transfer cases can you run with the stock auto? Are adapters required and expensive?

cjncustoms

We ran chad schoons 6.0 Ls all season pretty hard in the regional series and she still runs like a top!! Theres 1;)[/
QUOTE]
Well Im, glad to hear that! Have you check top and bottom bearings? It sure isnt impossible but most wear out fast

No there hasn't been any need to. No power loss, No loss of oil pressure, no noise, no metal shavings in the oil. So why tear something apart that doesn't need it?
Have you personally ran one of these lexus motors hard all season long to back up these claims? Just curious...

iamsparticus

No there hasn't been any need to. No power loss, No loss of oil pressure, no noise, no metal shavings in the oil. So why tear something apart that doesn't need it?
Have you personally ran one of these lexus motors hard all season long to back up these claims? Just curious...

Not yet but the buggy is drivable so i will gather my personal data this season

ive done lots of engine work and am trained from weber state for it. If you are hearing noises or there is metal shavings in the oil you have a serious problem, bearings will start to fail and can be caught before this happens thats why. Havent you ever heard of preventive maintenance

Last edited:

iamsparticus

How old are the 1uz motors? What years did they run? What transfer cases can you run with the stock auto? Are adapters required and expensive?
the 1uz-fe is from early to mid 90's lexus cars and a few other vehicles. The stock auto has adapters to mini truck cases, Dana 300's, and another one i cant remember. The tail housing is bolt pattern is the same on teh A340h and f and the lexus 2wd tranny all made by Aisin. The adapters can range from 300 to 600 so that can be expensive

Cascadia

Undecided
How much do these motors and transmissions with computer usually go for? Do you have to have the computer flashed or rewired? Do you just leave all the extra wires somewhere or cut them off?

cjncustoms

Not yet but the buggy is drivable so i will gather my personal data this season

ive done lots of engine work and am trained from weber state for it. If you are hearing noises or there is metal shavings in the oil you have a serious problem, bearings will start to fail and can be caught before this happens thats why. Havent you ever heard of preventive maintenance

Obviously there's a serious problem if that's going on!:rolleyes: but unless you're a sponsored race team doing this for a living, who is actually tearing their motor apart to check bearing clearances every year or a couple times a year? NOBODY!!!! That's not typical everyday preventative maintenance.:rolleyes:

iamsparticus

Obviously there's a serious problem if that's going on!:rolleyes: but unless you're a sponsored race team doing this for a living, who is actually tearing their motor apart to check bearing clearances every year or a couple times a year? NOBODY!!!! That's not typical everyday preventative maintenance.:rolleyes:

No need to get all riled up, im not talking about tearing your motor apart just dropping your oil pan and pulling the valve covers, and timing covers.That allows you to check the bearings if you dont want to do it thats fine just a word of advice on that motor.

iamsparticus

How much do these motors and transmissions with computer usually go for? Do you have to have the computer flashed or rewired? Do you just leave all the extra wires somewhere or cut them off?

like james said the 2uz makes better power down low but they are much harder to find. I can get you a 1uz with computer and trans for 500 bucks! No reflashing required and very little rewiring to do. Infact im working on a simple document for the 5vz and 1uz to make wiring it your self extremely easy. you can depin all the un used wires if you want or just tape them together out of the way there is only 8 wires you have to cut

zukijames

How Heavy is your V8 and size dimensions? Compare that to a chevy motor!! Also availability of parts. Have you ever been at a race in a strange town and need parts? Good luck finding toyota junk!

I think Ls1 is 3 inches longer 1 inch wider maybe .5 taller and around 40 lbs heavier.. But has alot more stock hp and torque.