Ultra 80 Buggy Build

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
no im not useing bulk heads. I have them but decided not to, all major joints though have 5 to 8 tubes joined t one point and will be externally gusseted

iamsparticus

It's not that bad on here, Seth just knows how to draw a crowd. ;)

If you share something that isn't the 'norm', you have to know that people are going to ask questions.

ironically the only reason i put this build on here and none of my other builds is because it was not the "norm" there is a million standardized buggy builds this one is different in many aspects

iamsparticus

Alright so here is an update. gtthe radiator mounted and some of the front tube work done, got almost all of the rear tube work done and lower shock mounts fo the front shocks done. still havent got my new seat or adapter plate but both are susposed to show up tomorrow cross my fingers!IMG_20130709_202354.jpgIMG_20130709_202330.jpgIMG_20130709_195557.jpg

iamsparticus

You disappoint me. I see bent tube. :(

i was waiting for that, i didnt really like how a mitered stinger looked so i bent it, there will be a couple more bends in places that i cant tie alot of the tube together on the front, so yes it wont be a 100% mittered more like 95%

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
While I'm no expert on the physics of chassis geometry, I have been bending pipe & tubing for 30+ yrs. -_-

What I do know is that a pipe that has been bent has been fatigued & bending it further is a lot easier than the force required to to initiate a bend on a straight piece in the first place.

Imagine a 3' piece of 2" put in a shop press.... how many tons of pressure, end to end, does it take to make it bend?? If you have a shop press that will do it let me know, I'll want to borrow it sometime!!:D

Now turn that pipe on its side, put a 10* bend in the center, stand it up & repeat the test.:eek:

Now a 5 ton shop press from HF can fold it without the slightest strain & the more degrees in the bend the easier it is to bend (leaverage) !!

A quality weld will be stronger than the surrounding metal, so, if you use straight sections of pipe & quality welds & a lot of them at all angles, I can't see why this rig couldn't withstand an 80 MPH endo or a 6-7 time roll & keep it's occupants safe & prolly drive away!!:)

If I ever get this far in the addiction... I would go this direction!!:D

iamsparticus

While I'm no expert on the physics of chassis geometry, I have been bending pipe & tubing for 30+ yrs. -_-

What I do know is that a pipe that has been bent has been fatigued & bending it further is a lot easier than the force required to to initiate a bend on a straight piece in the first place.

Imagine a 3' piece of 2" put in a shop press.... how many tons of pressure, end to end, does it take to make it bend?? If you have a shop press that will do it let me know, I'll want to borrow it sometime!!:D

Now turn that pipe on its side, put a 10* bend in the center, stand it up & repeat the test.:eek:

Now a 5 ton shop press from HF can fold it without the slightest strain & the more degrees in the bend the easier it is to bend (leaverage) !!

A quality weld will be stronger than the surrounding metal, so, if you use straight sections of pipe & quality welds & a lot of them at all angles, I can't see why this rig couldn't withstand an 80 MPH endo or a 6-7 time roll & keep it's occupants safe & prolly drive away!!:)

If I ever get this far in the addiction... I would go this direction!!:D

finally someone who knows what im talking about, what you just said is exactly why i decided to build it this way. Trust me the welds are as strong as my mig will allow, excellent penetration ith out melting through. Doesnt mean that you cant build a great bent tube chassis that is strong though, doing a bent cage in a jeep right now in fact

thanks for the imput

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Straight is certainly stronger against linear force, but what about lateral force? Isn't that the point of a bend, to distribute the force along the curve instead of allowing it to focus at the point of impact?

No sniping here, I'm honestly curious.

iamsparticus

the heat to the metal does add some hardness to the area but not to the point of making it brittle, i assume you mean in the case of a sudden impact to the area. the point of a bend in tube is to be able have a shape be one tube, or structure not to divide the force applied. Much like in many building structures they use lots of triangles and straight pieces to make the structure strong

bamacpl

Material deflection(strain)=Load x length
divided by area x elasticity of modulus of elasticity

-theata = torque x tubing length divided by shear modulous x shape function

--there figure it out yourself if u wanna know which is "stronger"