General Tech What did you work on Today?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks

RockChucker

Been working on this over the last few weeks. Man you end up using more tabs than you think to mount a roof. I estimated 16, bought 20 and ended up using 22 (found a couple tabs in my tool box). Bought off brand SeaDek for the head liner and anti roof rattle off Amazon.
IMG_5920.jpegIMG_5919.jpeg
Now I need to reattach wiring and hoses that were zip tied to the cage. Have a bunch of nifty clips I drew and have printing right now.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Spent a couple of hours this morning fixing a guy's Honda snowblower. He tried to mess with the governor and managed to bend the rod inside the motor. Had to splatter the motor and replace the damaged parts. Luckily I had spare parts for his exact motor. After that I went up to my friends ranch and replaced the wiper assembly in his Ram 2500 and cleaned out the IAC to get the idle to work better. The air was much nicer on the ranch and the temp was nearly 50 so my hands didn't freeze, unlike a couple of weeks ago when it was -2 up there.

Pile of parts

Been working on this over the last few weeks. Man you end up using more tabs than you think to mount a roof. I estimated 16, bought 20 and ended up using 22 (found a couple tabs in my tool box). Bought off brand SeaDek for the head liner and anti roof rattle off Amazon.
View attachment 167677View attachment 167676
Now I need to reattach wiring and hoses that were zip tied to the cage. Have a bunch of nifty clips I drew and have printing right now.
I look forward to seeing it next week in Sand Hollow.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'm not sure this word, "rough" means what you think it means.

- DAA

I guess the initial picture didn't show too well. I bought it used to replace a narrower one that didn't match my other 3. It was pretty gouged up and the poly was flaking.
I had my kid help cut liners and swap the tools over last night.
20231221_163842.jpg
I'm starting to understand how each of my boys likes motivation: this job as Dad is a learning experience every day.

Tonkaman

I guess the initial picture didn't show too well. I bought it used to replace a narrower one that didn't match my other 3. It was pretty gouged up and the poly was flaking.
I had my kid help cut liners and swap the tools over last night.
View attachment 167687
I'm starting to understand how each of my boys likes motivation: this job as Dad is a learning experience every day.
I love that you have so many motorcycles that you can’t even take a picture of a tool box without 5 bikes making it in the frame 😂

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Yesterday I went to move my Land Cruiser and noticed a puddle under it. I slid my finger across the puddle to discern the fluid and found it to be coolant. I popped the hood and found what I thought was the culprit.

The water bypass pipe appeared to be leaking from one of the 2 o-rings that go into the thermostat housing.
IMG_6879.JPG

A closer look:
IMG_6880.JPG

I disassemble it last night and ran to Cruiser Outfitters today for the 3 o-rings that I needed. When I put it back together, I checked to make sure it wasn't leaking still and discovered it is now leaking from the heater pipe gasket.

IMG_6881.JPG

IMG_6882.JPG

Not wanting to drive back down to Sandy, I just called and ordered one. She shipping alone was more than twice the price of the gasket, but I HATE traffic and it was shitty at 12:30, so its well worth the $10 in shipping to not have to drive down. If it arrives tomorrow, great. If not, I will swap that on Tuesday before I head out for a few days.

Last year, or maybe longer ago, I bought an over the top creeper. It made this job SOOOOOOOOO much easier! Working on a lifted truck creates challenges for short people. This creeper was awesome for this job!

IMG_6887.JPG

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Got my new gasket today from Cruiser Outfitters so I threw it in.
IMG_6902.jpeg

The bottom one came out and the top one went in. After checking with some folks much smarter than me, I put the new one in and then went for a test drive.

Look ma, no leaks!
IMG_6904.jpeg

Glad to have that done before my trip next week.

DAA

No pics. But on my way home from FYTO last weekend, I heard the beginnings of a wah-wah-wah when coasting at speed on the freeway. Disconnected the front drive shaft, and the noise went away. So, a couple days ago, the front drive shaft went away too, for a visit to Axis.

I take no chances with front driveshaft noise anymore. Same way I am with fire in the Jeep. No amount of anything detectable is acceptable. I'm just twitchy about that stuff.

- DAA