What do I get for the next bike?

Tonkaman

I think that's the top reason to stay away from 2T. It's no fun having to skip trips because you can't go as far as everyone else.

GAR

I think Greg has it figured out, 2 bikes, a KTM 300 and a KTM 690. fun light bike and powerful long distance trip bike, perfect!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think Greg has it figured out, 2 bikes, a KTM 300 and a KTM 690. fun light bike and powerful long distance trip bike, perfect!

I haven't listed either one for sale yet, so I must be happy with them! :p I like the 300, but it has taken some getting used to... I've been riding 4 strokes for a LONG time. I do miss riding my plated dirtbike on the street, the 2 stroke isn't fun tooling around on asphalt IMO.

The 690 is a blast, but it's not great for long freeway/highway riding... which is OK, but at times I wish it were more comfortable doing that stuff. I would love a bigger, road friendly bike... but cannot justify 3 bikes. :D

what says RME about the KTM 450's? I know Kurt likes his wide range ratio.

I think they're great bikes, especially with what you want to do. They're going to be a little heavy, but probably comparable to your YZF? I think they'd make a great all-around dirtbike. I believe the EXC has a 6 speed transmission, so that should be helpful.

There was a model change between '07/'08, so be aware of that. The big changes were to the suspension & frame, plus a totally different engine. If you can swing it, I would highly recommend a '08+ bike.

Tonkaman

They sure feel good. I remember the first time I ride one I wanted to throw my honda In the trash. Instead I just threw money at the honda

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've ridden Davy's KTM 450 and the erogos are really similar to Yamahas. They are a little like a VW to me in that they are just different than the Jap bikes. Not bad, just different in regards to maint. I had an 01 YZ 426 and believe me, anything newer will be light compared to your 400.

Greg

Admin
That's out of my budget unfortunately

Up your budget... it'll be worth it! Besides, you can always make an offer, list price isn't always final price... especially this time of year. Come March/April, bike prices will be much more firm as the weather warms up.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Greg has a desert tank on his. He can go about 70 miles. Not the 110 that my 4t can go but still decent. I bet a race like last weekend burns your gas up pretty fast though.

Did you have to refuel Paul?

I did 4 loops before I pit. I may have been able to get 5, but that may have been pushing it. I knew this race would be hard on 2 strokes so I jetted my bike extremely rich to avoid burning it up. Riding style can also greatly affect fuel consumption also.

Speaking of burning it up, this is a picture of Josh's piston. I guess it is pretty easy to see why he had no compression when it quit running.

0F03F343-8554-4191-AA81-18D1395984D8-2062-000003022EC27250_zpsddc8ba34.jpg

Greg

Admin
Ouch!! How did the cylinder wall hold up? Does it need to be replaced too?

I raised the needle one position on the St George ride and my bike was a tad rich, but I'd much rather run a little spooge than burn up an engine!

Cascadia

Undecided
I may or may not have just listed my 250 for sale in favor of a 300 or 350. Don't feel like wasting my energy picking up a 450. A 300 is 5 lbs lighter than my bike, a 450 is 10 lbs heavier, and a 350 is 4 lbs heavier. If it doesn't sell for close then I'm till happy with my bike. I set the price pretty high so it probably won't sell. :rolleyes:

Greg

Admin
I may or may not have just listed my 250 for sale in favor of a 300 or 350. Don't feel like wasting my energy picking up a 450. A 300 is 5 lbs lighter than my bike, a 450 is 10 lbs heavier, and a 350 is 4 lbs heavier. If it doesn't sell for close then I'm till happy with my bike. I set the price pretty high so it probably won't sell. :rolleyes:

:rofl:

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I feel you James, but that budget is not in the cards right now.
Plus I'd be stoked with anything less than 10 years old; I don't own anything new besides my weedwacker, mower and snowblower haha.
Budget? Ive heard that the human body can go 5 days without food if your properly hydrated.. so if you skip eating two days per week at (three meals at $8.00=$24x2=$48 per week x4 weeks =$192 per month). that will make the payment, Priorities my friend.

As far as the KTM's go, Ive heard so many opinions, but most everyone I have talked to love the 300, My opinion is I rode a 300 with a shaved head and pipe, and I couldnt believe how much power and torque it had, almost felt like it would hang with my 450 and It tracked amazing, just felt like I could ride it anywhere and I dont usually feel that way on a different bike than my own. My experience when I rode a KTM 450 was just the opposite, felt like it had much less power than my Kawi and I couldnt get comfortable on it. As far as power goes hp's are not as important as the ability to manage them, some bikes may have less over all power, but they are easier to use the available power=faster.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
Man, you're awesome then James cause you buy the most hp you can get every year. I guess you need all the hp you can get when you are 6 foot huge!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
what says RME about the KTM 450's? I know Kurt likes his wide range ratio.

...I think they're great bikes, especially with what you want to do. They're going to be a little heavy, but probably comparable to your YZF? I think they'd make a great all-around dirtbike. I believe the EXC has a 6 speed transmission, so that should be helpful...

I've really enjoyed it. 6 speed, plenty of power and an excellent trail bike. It's a mediocre bike at the dunes, fun but heavy. It's blasphemous on the road as can be expected from any dirt bike, but it is fun to rip around on none the less. I don't feel like it is too heavy but I've also got 50+ lbs on you Stratton. My bike is the 07 450 XCW, it was the first year as I recall of the newer motor design and has the 6 speed trans. Vonski had the same bike, one year newer which I believe made it the XCRW, no major changes that I know of. It has been a rock-solid bike, I don't ride it nearly enough but it has been absolutely trouble-free for me. I've done routine maintenance once a year, oiled the chain every other ride and ridden it. I'd have zero hesitation to recommend it for a mixed use/race bike.

I had asked earlier about your budget Stratton as I have considered selling it recently. I've been looking at something bigger and while that will limit my ability to do AFC/dunes/Moab type trips, that isn't the majority of the riding I do and a bunch of my chaps have been getting into bigger bikes. Mine will be in the $4k+ range.