Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It's pretty amazing what you can accomplish when you buckle down and get to work! It's getting hot at this point, so I figured I'd update the build thread and take a break.

I had a lot of rework to do on the front axle, which included bracing the truss over the front diff (welding mild steel to the cast center), cutting off the previous owners shock mounts, upper link mounts and track bar mount. They weren't in the right places for me and the tabs were all pretty thin, IMO. I used the Sawzall, torch, grinder and cut-off wheel. Once that was done, I wheeled the front axle back into place and started fitting pieces up, then welding them in place.

20180824_100415-L.jpg

The brace on the back side of the truss seemed like a 'need', the truss was welded at the top/front of the diff with one questionable weld, less than 2" long. I planned to tie my 2nd upper link to this truss (like the PO had) but felt like it needed more strength. I don't like welding to cast, but some more strength was needed. I used a piece of 3/16" plate, cut to fit around the backside of the diff. I preheated the cast with a rosebud tip on the torch, then MIG welded the plate in place. Once welded, I covered it with a few layers of leather (2 thick welding gloves and then my welding jacket on top). After a few minutes, I hit it lightly with the rose bud torch and covered it again. I repeated this a few times, further and further apart.... placing the leather back on each time. I think it cooled slowly, time will tell if the weld is good.

20180824_100344-L.jpg

20180824_100354-L.jpg

20180824_100413-L.jpg

20180824_113109-L.jpg

At this point, the front axle is a 3 link (2 lowers and 1 upper) with a track bar. I could probably run it like this, but think a 4 link w/ track bar would be best. All my link tabs are BEEFY, plus the 1 1/4" heims from Ruffstuff... I think once my welding work is done (some pieces are tacked, just in case) it would be plenty strong as a 3 link.

20180824_133814-L.jpg

20180824_133752-L.jpg

20180824_143853-L.jpg

20180824_150000-L.jpg

20180824_145954-L.jpg

20180824_150219-L.jpg

I made my front lowers pretty damn long, hoping that it'll help the front suspension work smoother over bumps and ledges. The upper is 75% of that length. My track bar just contacts the front diff cover, so I'm hoping I can find a way to bend it up just a tad so it'll clear at full stuff. I built it a little long, for this reason.

And I was happy to see that the tires clear the front link at full turn! We will see how they work with 37's, but it's not hitting hard so that's a good sign.

20180824_170207-L.jpg

Far as all the measurements... from hole to hole;
  • Track Bar is 37".
  • Front Lower links 38".
  • Front Upper link 28".
  • Rear Lower links 29 1/2"
  • Rear Upper links 32".

I haven't rolled it out of the shop yet, but at this point the chassis is a roller! No bump stops yet, but this is a very exciting step! :beer:

Now I need to wrap up the frame work, crossmembers on the ends, plating the places where the frame is stacked, decide if I want to keep the low winch mount or put a new one on top of the frame, bolted on, etc. Really want to figure out a front bumper soon, as well.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Since you're using heims at all points, you might not want to do 4 links plus a panhard. Unless the links are all parallel as viewed from above... otherwise the links will fight each other.

RockChucker

I wouldn't do 4 links with a panhard if you are running all heims. The suspension would be overconstrained and bind. If you had some sort of urethane or rubber joints in the links it would be ok. If you set your geometry to be neutral, you shouldn't see one side lift or dive over the other side under braking. If it gives you any comfort, I'm running a 3 link with a panhard with 7/8" heims on the uppers (summit machine flex joints for the lowers) and haven't had any issues. And I haven't exactly been easy on it either.

Greg

Admin
Since you're using heims at all points, you might not want to do 4 links plus a panhard. Unless the links are all parallel as viewed from above... otherwise the links will fight each other.

I wouldn't do 4 links with a panhard if you are running all heims. The suspension would be overconstrained and bind. If you had some sort of urethane or rubber joints in the links it would be ok. If you set your geometry to be neutral, you shouldn't see one side lift or dive over the other side under braking. If it gives you any comfort, I'm running a 3 link with a panhard with 7/8" heims on the uppers (summit machine flex joints for the lowers) and haven't had any issues. And I haven't exactly been easy on it either.

Thank guys, that's exactly what I was worried about.... binding the front end with a 4 link & panhard. I'll leave it as it sits and be happy with gobs of wheel travel and no binding!

Just FYI.... my links aren't anywhere near parallel if viewed from above. My lowers are angled out and my single upper is pretty straight.

Greg

Admin
It looks awesome and I dig those rims. I really need to learn fab skills.

Thanks, it's been a long time coming to get to this point. Those wheels and tires are going to be a 2nd set just to play with, the wheels came with the tires from @RockChucker . I plan to run some beadlock wheels and BFG KM3 Mud tires as my main setup, eventually.

Building stuff is fun, seems like the hardest part when you're getting started is having the right tools. Next is having the right materials. Since I used a complete kit from RuffStuff for the suspension links, it was that much easier. It was just a matter of measuring and putting things in the right place.

Yep, about that many!

Greg

Admin
Made some small changes that needed to happen, I moved the engine up 1" and back 1 1/2" to help clear the headers, front-upper link, etc. The exhaust on the drivers-side is going to be tricky, but I have some ideas. Also removed the winch plate, I wasn't digging it. Put another piece of 2 x 4 x 3/16th's in it's place. I'll build a bumper to slide over the cross-member, add some recovery points and a different winch plate. I also heated up the track bar and put a slight bend in it, to clear the front diff at full bump. I didn't want to do it, but also didn't want to raise/lower then mounts on either end. If I have to make another one, I have the tube. I may still notch the frame 2" over the truss/track bar, for up-travel.

20180826_143325-L.jpg

20180826_155323-L.jpg

20180826_194305-L.jpg

20180826_180559-L.jpg

20180826_192437-L.jpg

20180826_194109-L.jpg

I set it up at about ride height and set the body back in place. The front lower links are sitting at 5*'s and the upper is perfectly flat with the frame. The rear lowers have a little steeper angle and the rear uppers are also pretty close to flat. The frame is 23" from the ground as is sits in these pics and the top of the windshield frame is about 6' high. My wheelbase shrunk to 98" with the higher setup.

20180826_195243-L.jpg

20180826_195307-L.jpg

20180826_194140-L.jpg

I'll probably highline the hood still (although it may not be needed, lol) and build some tube fenders on the front, tieing them into the shock hoops. I really hope I can sell the 16" SAW's and get 14's.... it'll make my life much easier. I'm hoping that how it sits now, I'll have 6-7" up travel... which is good and I can always take nitrogen out and lower it a little.

Bart

Wow, the progress that you have made recently is incredible. I'm with the others saying no 4 link with a track bar. Looking great Greg.

Greg

Admin
ahh that's saucy!

Isn't it?! I love that pic from the front/side at ride height!

Making great progress Greg!!!

Little at a time!

Wow, the progress that you have made recently is incredible. I'm with the others saying no 4 link with a track bar. Looking great Greg.

Don't worry, I'll get burned out soon and roll it into the corner for another couple months. :eek:X-D

Greg

Admin
Playing around with some tweaks... in the name of simplicity, I was thinking about just using the cross-member as the bumper, capping the front frame ends, using a couple pieces of scrap 90*'s (cutting the sharp edges off) and welding/grinding the joints so they look smooth, then finish off with these neat Clevis mounts from RuffStuff, welded directly to the frame. Not 100% sold on the idea though.

20180827_184623-L.jpg

I was also thinking that I should just box in the space between the lower frame link mounts with 2" x 2" 3/16" plate steel. I was going to build a ramp from the rear lower, but even that would leave a gap that will be perfect.... for getting hung up on. If I box it, that'll give me a little more room for the t-case mount and skid plate.

Greg

Admin
I think I'll go back to the original plan and build a bumper, I'd be worried that if I welded the ends on, they would eventually get knocked off pulling up onto obstacles. Hopefully I can open up those clevis mounts to work with a taller bumper.

I'm back and forth on so many aspects of this, but appreciate the feedback. :)