ZJ to Buggy build

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Can't believe I didn't purchase this for the other cages I've done. $40 well spent.

I wish you hadn't wasted your $40 on that POS. I have one sitting in a drawer I'd have let you have for half that. I would have tried to talk you into getting a much better one though, so fair warning. :D

Looking good so far!

1995zj

I'm addicted
A little more progress since the last post. The new ZJ I picked up as a winter DD has taken a couple of my weekends to get all ready for the season. Should make some good progress this weekend though....5 days off.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385503949.021847.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385503919.621354.jpg

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Does that propane heater work? What size is your garage? I am looking for something to heat my 30x34x14 detached garage on a every once in a while basis.

1995zj

I'm addicted
Does that propane heater work? What size is your garage? I am looking for something to heat my 30x34x14 detached garage on a every once in a while basis.

My garage is definitely smaller, just a standard 2-car so what like 18' wide and 22' long however I do have 14' ceilings too. It seems to work well in my garage. I picked it up from harbor freight and the multiple settings is nice. I start it with two burners on high to get the garage heated up in the morning then pretty much just leave it in low with one burner to keep it warm

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Are you using Bend Tech or some cad program to draw it up, to just free hand? If so, can you post up a picture of the drawing?

1995zj

I'm addicted
Your design looks similar to the Goat Built chassis. Is that where you got your inspiration? I like it!

No, but that's the third time I've heard that now so I'm gonna have to check his out. Does he have a build thread anywhere?

I just looked at many builds on Pirate, KOH buggies, and Shane's build and went from there. The main thing I was getting from looking though was dimensions. I always had a design in my head, then just used Bend Tech to visualize it.

Edit: haha wow, just searched Goat Built buggy on Pirate and realized it's not a person's screen name...it's a company. Definitely some similarities. Realistically though with how many buggies have been built, it's tough to not have them look similar to others haha.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
For whatever it's worth, I think your design is FAR better looking that Goat's chassis. I'm 100% certain his is strong and functional, it's just not as pretty as it could be in my eyes. ;)

1995zj

I'm addicted
Is it just an illusion in the last picture angle or does the driver side rear bend back out and the passenger side go straight? I am referring to the bottom most tube.

What are you doing to make sure the chassis is level and square?

I agree with Carl for what its worth.

It's just an illusion ha, definitely looks it though in that pic.

As for making sure it's level I have a few different levels I'm using. Mainly the 4' carpenter level. The garage floor is actually surprisingly 100% level so I just opted to use that instead if building a table...