4 Door Jeepster Commando Build

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I have considered parting out and scrapping the 4 door project, but getting back on this site and re-reading these posts makes me want to dive back in.
:rofl: YOU GO GIRL !! Don't let them win! This is about YOU & YOUR dreams!:rofl:

Seriously, I've been waching your build with great interest, as well as the build of CJ14, looking for hints & tips about this kind of build! :)

You guys started me on the CJ-75 biuld!!:tara:

You have to finish this build because: A. Most people don't even know what a Comando is.
2. If you build the 4 door somewhere close to the quality of workmanship of "Tweety" It will rock!! Big Time!:greg:

If you don't have the time to invest, I understand, but I hope you could sell it to someone who would finish it, because I think it is that cool of a build....IMHO:greg:

Swoop69

2. If you build the 4 door somewhere close to the quality of workmanship of "Tweety" It will rock!! Big Time!:greg:

thanks, but I cant take the credit for "tweety". the previous owner did/had most of the fab and body work done. I have just had to button up a few things like wiring, exhaust, driveshafts, fuel lines....

I have more money in the 4 door than what I could part it out for (always the case), so it doesnt make any sense to get rid of it now... you guys might just have to be patient till I get some time to work on it.... could be a while.

Swoop69

This weekend I bought another partster (jeepster for parts for those Jeepsterly-challenged). There are tons of good parts. The body has been cut up pretty bad, but th frame is good, the doors are immaculate, the steering column, wheel and horn are insane, excellent tailgate, and a top with a perfect roof rack and sliding windows...
and he threw in lots of other parts, like Advanced Adapters engine mounts, full exhaust for a sbc...

Point is that I have more parts, motivation, and interest in putting this 4 door together. Instead of cutting my 1 frame in half and adding a section of frame, now I can use the front 2/3rds of this new jeepster, and the rear 2/3rds of my existing one... only one frame welded joint instead of 2...

anyway, just thought I would strike this conversation back up.

Jeepsters1Large.jpg

Jeepsters2Large.jpg

Jeepsters3Large.jpg

Jeepsters4Large.jpg

Jeepsters5Large.jpg

Jeepsters6Large.jpg

Jeepsters7Large.jpg

Jeepsters8Large.jpg

Jeepsters9Large.jpg

Jeepsters10Large.jpg

Jeepsters11Large.jpg

Swoop69

I'd sure like to have that 4wheeldrive emblem that's on your tailgate.

I need to take an inventory of what I plan on using and what I plan on selling. Are you going to Silverton, CO in July for the 40th Jeepster event? I plan on taking as many parts as I can to trade, barter, sell.

Have you thought about making a frame instead of cutting 2 frames to make 1?

I have thought about putting it on a chevy frame, but dont want to go with full width axles, plus I already have all the stuff to build this, dont want to buy more than I need, which contradicts my last post....

What did the partster cost?

for fear of low-balling my parts for sale, I will just say that I got a good deal on it...

You don't happen to have an extra rust free tailgate and a pair of taillight lenses?

I do have a couple of tail gates, and an extra pair of lenses, but the lenses have some cracks and a small piece missing...

Stacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey
I'd sure like to have that 4wheeldrive emblem that's on your tailgate.

I need to take an inventory of what I plan on using and what I plan on selling. Are you going to Silverton, CO in July for the 40th Jeepster event? I plan on taking as many parts as I can to trade, barter, sell.

Still not sure if I'm going to Colorado, It all depends on if I get my Hurst finished or not (this includes having a good condition 4Wheel Drive emblem on the back):) Just droped it off at the muffler shop but still aways to go after I get it back.

Swoop69

So it has been a while since I made any progress on this, and thougth I would dust off the thread. my plans have changed slightly, instead of cutting 2 frames and tubs in half and welding them together, I am going to use the front of one frame, build the back out of rectangle tube, and use 2 bodies.

I need to get the partster off of my inlaws farm, and hope to be able to do that this weekend.

I am anxious to start cutting!!! I'll post pics and updates when there is something to see.

Swoop69

I was able to get the frame and tub a few weeks ago, and had fun unloading this by myself, from a flatbed trailer with no wheels under the jeep...

4Jeepster_201009.jpg

4Jeepster_2010091.jpg

4Jeepster_2010092.jpg

4Jeepster_2010093.jpg

4Jeepster_2010094.jpg

Then it was time to measure twice...
4Jeepster_2010095.jpg

4Jeepster_2010096.jpg

Cut and remove...
4Jeepster_2010097.jpg

Swoop69

Its time for an update....

Saturday was warm enough that i pulled my other Jeepsters out of the garage and did a little work on the 4 door. I know this sounds backwards, but I am tired of over-thinking things, and just wanted to make some progress, so here you go!

Talk is cheap, so on with the pics!

This is where I started on Saturday...
01startingpoint.jpg

Had to move the other jeepsters out into the cold snow
04snowday.jpg

Here is how you move a tub by yourself... well half of a tub...
05caboff.jpg

I put this on some HF (harbor freight) furniture rollers... easier to move...
07cabroller.jpg

I decided to try and keep the overall length down by bobbing the bed. I started with the body, and will build the frame to match. snapped a couple of chalk lines...
09measure.jpg

Swoop69

I lined up a piece of scrap, not that it did any good. my cuts looked straight, but really weren't all that great...
10brace.jpg

11backoff.jpg

12backoff.jpg

15midoff.jpg

16backoff.jpg

Then I tacked the back in place...
17tacked.jpg

18tacked.jpg

cant leave out my shop helper. he was watching close enough that he actually got a spark on the back of his neck :(
19helper.jpg

Ready for paint
21bobbed.jpg

I know it looks like poop, but that big hole was actually a bolt hole before I started. some of the burn throughs i will take credit for...
22stitch.jpg

I took a break, had a cold beverage, and enjoyed the view out of my shop window... I know the sign is spelled wrong, but my wife bought it for me a few years ago, and she tried her best :lol:
24shopview.jpg

Swoop69

25door.jpg

27doorcut.jpg

29frontoff.jpg

31cutjam.jpg

32jambs.jpg

Here is the aprox door opening i am going for. I will clean up the backs of these and do some more fitting. I ran out of cutting disks and sawzall blades.
35dooropening.jpg

36dooropening.jpg

Bart

You've obviously put a lot of thought into it. Love the direction you're going. Keep the progress and pics coming.

Swoop69

So this weekends progress isnt all that impressive by way of pictures, but I think I made some progress.

I used some 16 gauge 2x4s to brace the door striker/hinges. then cleaned up my edges and tacked it in place. I left the bottom of the tube long so that I can attach it to my rock sliders, which will be thick wall 2x4's.
DSC_4264.jpg

DSC_4271.jpg

I love tearing apart these 40 year old jeeps, it is almost like archeology. you can see by the spot welds that this was hand welded. If it were machine welded the spot welds would be evenly spaced and in a straight line.
DSC_4276.jpg

DSC_4269.jpg

Here is the front and back sections tacked together. i am trying to keep things in line with a string, but things arent lining up as well as I would like. in the last picture it is just sitting on blocks, so the middle is sagging. At this point you can start to see what a 4 door jeepster might look like! :D
DSC_4281.jpg

DSC_4282.jpg