4 Door Jeepster Commando Build

Swoop69

A few updates from this weekend.

I got the rear part of the frame measured, cut and welded. Still need to add fish plates and one more cross beam, but I will wait for the cross beam till the frame is in place and I can make sure it wont interfere with anything. plus I might use it for a shock mount, especially if I angle the shocks towards the center / \.

004.jpg

005.jpg

I found another pair of hands... Using my floor lights, with the lights removed...
WARNING: DO NOT SUPPORT ANYTHING HEAVY, LIKE A VEHICLE OR AXLE. DO NOT CLIMB UNDERNEATH IT!!! JUST DONT BE STUPID!!!

stand2.jpg

Then I used some scrap to test my welding setting and skilz. Getting better!
testing1.jpg

testing2.jpg

012.jpg

Then I laid it all out on my counter because it is the flattest surface I have. I tacked it in place, measured for trueness, and burned it in.
003.jpg

017.jpg

I alligned the second section with the first and used some 1/4" shock tabs as spacers, because the welds were keeping it from sitting flat.
014.jpg

015.jpg

Test fit the frame, all fit nice!
013.jpg

Swoop69

So once again, my plans might be changing a bit... I need to do a lot of measuring and thinking, the latter being very difficult for me...

So my FIL has an old farm truck that he has beaten to hell and back. He used it as a spray truck, to carry a big tank in the back to deliver chemicals and whatnot to his fields. After 30 years of service he is putting it out to pasture...

He was going to sell it for scrap, when I said I wanted to look at it first. He said its mine for free if I want it...

I checked it out on saturday, and it is well worn, still running and driving, but barely...

anyway it is a 78 Ford Ranger F250 with a HP Dana60 front and regular D60 rear!!! not sure the ratio's, but not a bad find for something destined for scrap!!!

not sure which engine it has, it has a manual trans, the body and interior are completely shot, so I was going to do lots of measuring and see what it would take to drop my tub on this frame/drive train combo.

I know I am a dumbass... so you are all thinking HP D44 HD... BUT it has kingpins (thought all 44s were ball joints), large diameter tubes, and I know what a D44 cover looks like and this aint it. plus the BOM starts with a 60...

Now I just have to find a way to transport the beast 100 miles.

Pics to follow...

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
The 78 hp d60 my son is saving for a future project came from a 78 camper special F250. Most F250s have the 44 but a few had the 60.

Swoop69

I think I might have the haunta virus from vacuuming this out! It was nasty!

I put it up for sale on KSL and here... I dont think I will use any of this for my 4-door. I might keep the engine for a rat rod, but I already have plenty on my plate!

I really dont want to go full width and narrowing a couple of 60's doesnt sound fun!

Swoop69

Been a while since I updated this. I havent made any progress on the 4 door, but I did get a chance to play with my new parts jeepster this weekend.

I am planning on using the frame from the back of this jeepster on the 4 door. Before I pull the engine trans and axles, I wanted to see what kind of shape it was in. the body was rusted through, and the electrical was a nightmare, so it is all going to scrap. the only things I will be keeping are the grill, fenders, doors, windshield, drive train and front axle... basically what you see here.

http://youtu.be/MuRswI0WJOw

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
Is that the drive train you're using in the 4 door? Is that the 231 V6 or 304 V8 it's hard to tell with straight pipes! Either way that would be a cool setup!

BTW: On the subject of cool setups, IMHO you should stay with the original bulldog nose!;) After all that work don't want people thinking that you added a Camando rear to a CJ7:-\! Yeah, I know, it's not the best looking front end, but it's definitely Comando!!;)

Swoop69

It is a V6, but not sure if it is the 231 or 225. leaning more towards the 231, because I am pretty familiar with the 225 and this looks different. I have a 225 in my yellow jeepster, and this has a different carb, intake, and valve covers... still need to find the case number and look it up.

I am running a SBC 305 in my 4 door. so I dont know the plans for this engine yet. I will do everything in my power, including cutting a giant hole in the firewall to get the V8 far enough back, so I can keep the original front. Im not a fan of the bullnose-square front clips (72-73) and I dont care for the CJ clips on Jeepsters. Just my preference.

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I am running a SBC 305 in my 4 door. so I dont know the plans for this engine yet. I will do everything in my power, including cutting a giant hole in the firewall to get the V8 far enough back, so I can keep the original front. Im not a fan of the bullnose-square front clips (72-73) and I dont care for the CJ clips on Jeepsters. Just my preference.

For some reason I thought you mentioned using a CJ7 front at some point. ;) So I reread the whole thread & was happy to see I was wrong!:D

Good call on keeping the original look!:thumbs: