85 4runner build

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I put on chevys today, picture is with a super swamper true 35" like the shackle angle and tire placement. I am going to trim the rear of the fender for clearence.
IMAG0416.jpg

Marsh99

I picked up my dirty 30's today along with chromo hub gears.
Finished ruf pack went with the 86 4runners rear leafs minus the over load and then added 80 rear main and millitary wrap leaf cut down 3in shorter than previous leaf on each side.
IMAG0417.jpg

should get a lot done tomorrow.

Marsh99

Hung the front hanger about a half inch more forward than stock
IMAG0423.jpg

Love how these springs move the axle. The shocks are where it was and my spring pins show where it will be. Shackles angle will be fine because the springs are so soft.
IMAG0424.jpg

Still working on my front bullet proof axle.. 85 housing, tg truss, tg weld on cover, tg ball knuckle gussets, tg dirty 30's, tg hub gears, with full rebuild kit. I want it to be like the Ron co infomerical " set it and forget it". It's a ton of welding and goes really slow so you don't warp the housing.
IMAG0425.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Lookin good! I use the same mentality in my builds. If I'm going to be that deep in the axle, might as well do it right the first time and forget about it. Nice work.

When will is your estimate to have it drivable?

Marsh99

I want it done by Easter. I was off for spring break so I got a lot done this week. Its going to slow down a bit do to school. I am wanting to go to EJS so I need done by then and probably before so I can take it out and work out the bugs.

sixstringsteve

I'll race you to see who can get their rig done first. Considering I don't even have my truck yet, I'd say youre in the lead :D

nrspence

I want it done by Easter. I was off for spring break so I got a lot done this week. Its going to slow down a bit do to school. I am wanting to go to EJS so I need done by then and probably before so I can take it out and work out the bugs.

Ya i hope you get your runner done for EJS so we can run golden spike on friday.

Marsh99

so I have been having troubles getting a pair of 35's found these for a good deal and bought them they are 37x12.5r15 with the rims having 2in back spacing sweet. They might be to big for what I am looking for so don't be surprised if they are back up for sale when i can get some 35's km2.
IMAG0427.jpg

Rolled one by it I think they will fit but might have some rubbish, but they will look cool for sure. Hope full by the end of the weekend I can have them on and see how they are.
IMAG0428.jpg

Marsh99

Also I am worried about street driving since I am only running 4.88 gears. I know off road I will be fine with my 4.7 tcase gears. I guess I will just have to see.

sixstringsteve

I wouldn't be TOO worried. Those are light tires. I'll bet they're lighter than a 33" toyo. Let us know how it does with that gearing.

sixstringsteve

that thing is coming along nicely. I can't wait 'till I have leaves on the front of my truck. Your housing is looking really good too.

Marsh99

So I finished up welding my truss yesterday, using the go really slow so you don't bend your housing method. I also finished doing the clearance for my dirty 30's, sorry no pics. Pulled inner seals and removed the races. Just need to wash out housing and rebuild it. Also I setup my front 3rd with a Detroit locker.
Finally I wanted to see how the rear would be on 37's. It seems a little tall but really can't tell until I have back on 4 wheels instead of jack stands
IMAG0432.jpg