85 4runner build

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Mounted front bumper it is made out of some 5in C channel with some 2x2x1/4 legs to hold it to the frame. Also it is bent on the sides to match the flow of the body lines.
IMAG0452.jpg

Also drop t-case gears off today to get installed.

Marsh99

Ordered my shocks, and bump stops and extensions. Trail-gear is offering 15% there old products but when I typed in promo code it applied to my whole order.:D
Went with 12" bilstiens in front and 10" in the rear. I'm stoked to get these.

Marsh99

Have updates: school is killing me right now its the last week of class and finals next week...:( Luckily I will be done on 4/18 which gives me 3 full days to finish my truck before heading to Moab on 4/22.:D Luckily my rig is not even at my shop.. its at the trail ridge shop getting rear bumper and sliders, thanks Seth you are causeing me to stay focused on school. I have my tcase gears installed in a t-case waiting to put in my truck, Thanks trailblazer83. My shocks and bump stop extensions have been delivered. I pulled all the old accessory wires, speaker wires, and aftermarket cruise control out. I find it amazing how many accessory wires people run, and when I bought they had nothing hooked to it, also how many speaker wires get ran. Also the cruise control unit didn't work.
Trail Ridge is doing my sliders like All-pros w/ kick out
Rear Bumper they are doing a Trail Gear style
Hopefully this weekend I can get some more pics up and be done with school crap.
sliders in progress
IMAG0457.jpg

Marsh99

I picked up my runner today bumper and sliders look great. I have a lot of goodies for it before Thursday, but still have 2 test to study for and take. I will post up some pics tomorrow

Marsh99

Was able to get rear shocks mounted, put them in the stock location just moving bottom mount to the top of the axle. figured out my wiring for my rear locker, CB, cigarette lighter, and stereo. I decided to run a battery wire to my cigarette lighter so it was not on the key. Also pick up a magnet CB antennae that way I can take off and on.

Marsh99

Front shock mounted used some ford shock towers, front bump stops on, stock tcase pulled, just got done. 4.7 case goes in tomorrow morning. sorry to busy for pics.

Marsh99

Well I haven't updated: I got the t-case in and finished everything up to drive to EJS. I made it down to lehi and was having a weird motor issue. It was around 2.5 -3 k rpm's it felt like a miss fire. check engine light only came on once for only about 10 seconds... anyways I decided to change the plugs and wires and found the PO had RTV in one of the plugs that was strip. So in the autozone parking lot I retapped it and put in a helicoil... and drove it back home with it still having the missfire problem.
Decided to just take my tacoma.
Dropping 4 runner off
IMAG0467.jpg

Taking Tacoma
IMAG0468.jpg

camping
IMAG0470.jpg

We still had a great time. We ran fins and things, went out to Gemini Bridges, and watch @ Potatoe Salad. My wife had a great time on first trip to moab.

Marsh99

autozone dudes were awesome they told me I could take any toools out I needed and to just put them back when I was done

Marsh99

so my runner is still running weird... What it is doing is only under a load( going up hill or pulling hard in a gear) around 2500- 3000 rpm it is stuttering, but can be cured temporarily with a rev. It is inconstant and can not be replicated with out moving. No check engine light...
so far I have:

• New Plugs
  • New wires
  • New distributor rotor and cap
  • new o2 sensor
  • cleaned and soldered the injector wires
  • checked vacuum lines
  • checked fuses
  • thought and searched a lot ... tried of throwing parts at it
any other thoughts?
thanks

Have you checked for gunk from the air filter box all the way back to the plenum? My old 85' did something similar and turns out it had a TON of crap built up all over the place that I cleaned out and it ran great afterwards, just a thought.

Other than that TPS may be an issue. May want to test the output voltage from the airflow meter (AFM) too.

It should change in a smooth sweep with the movement of the flap door.

You may want to look up the FSM online for your truck and then go through it.

How many miles are on this truck? Lots of simple things like fuel filter, fuel pump etc to check as well. Obviously you want to find the culprit without spending a bunch of money on parts you don't need.

Last edited:

Marsh99

Have you checked for gunk from the air filter box all the way back to the plenum? My old 85' did something similar and turns out it had a TON of crap built up all over the place that I cleaned out and it ran great afterwards, just a thought.

Other than that TPS may be an issue. May want to test the output voltage from the airflow meter (AFM) too.

It should change in a smooth sweep with the movement of the flap door.

You may want to look up the FSM online for your truck and then go through it.

How many miles are on this truck? Lots of simple things like fuel filter, fuel pump etc to check as well. Obviously you want to find the culprit without spending a bunch of money on parts you don't need.

truck has 186k on it with a supposedly rebuilt motor. I forgot to say I put in a new fuel pump and filter too. Air box is clean I just put a k&n filter in it.

leorn

reset
Hey Brandon it's Ben. Follow this to check your TPS http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml#TPSAdjustment

Then this to check the AFM
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/AFM/index.shtml#AFMtesting

If you want you can come steal my afm to check. It's the supra one, so it won't run the same, but if it runs better you know what it is. I also have my old afm if that turns out to be the problem.

If you still don't figure it out I know a cheap mechanic with tons of toyota experience.