'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

So identical wheelbase with 4 doors then? (rather than identical rig).

It's not just the wheelbase, it's the whole package: the duals, the 35s, the 2.7L motor, the way it runs like a top, the bed space, all that. The closest thing would be a 4-door taco or a 4runner.

Does the enclosed back vs truck bed make a difference?

Yes. It's give and take. I like the 6' truck bed, but unfortunately the 4-door taco beds are smaller (5'). Also, 4-door tacos start at $11k. I can find a runner for $6k and deal with the smaller interior space. While I enjoy sleeping in the back of my truck, it's not a deal-breaker if I have to use a tent.

It's nice to have a truck bed to load up with camping gear, but the 4-doors are kinda long. I prefer trucks, but for an extra $5-6k, it's not worth it.

What made you sell the 100 the first time?

The ABS/Master Cyl went out. It was a $3000 part. I couldn't afford to fix it, and it was my wife's car, and she didn't want bigger tires on it. Parts are super expensive on the 100 series rigs, so the 4runner/tacoma wins in this category.

What about the extra 15" won't work for you if you are doing less rockcrawling and more camping?

It's actually 19" now that I check. But an extra 19" is still fine for camping (and even rock crawling). It's just a bigger car for DD. I prefer the shorter wheelbase for DD. It's all a give and take between cost, room, doors, bed space, wheelbase, dd, etc. I'd love a 4-door taco, I just can't afford one.

Do you have any idea how much money you are saving me?

I don't know how this is saving you money, but I'm glad it does. Just remember, just because I prefer something doesn't mean you or anyone else will.

sixstringsteve

the perfect rig doesn't exist, but this is the closest I've come yet. I just know that I'll want 4 doors once I have a family. I can modify this to get by, but it's tough to beat 4 doors with kids.

UVRUGBY

I need to see this rig before you get it sold! But for me, I can see your point with the family part. Personally I am not a fan of the smaller bed space, if I am going to get a 4 door I would go with a 4runner. They have the same motor, 4doors, plus the back space for camping gear that you may need on top of that you could do a roof rack and possibly even a RTT. But, that is my thinking when it comes to 4doors

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
If you still had your old 4 door taco that you tubbed, would you keep that one at this point or sell it for the 100 series or 4runner?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Me too, I loved the bodies on that generation and the way you modded that one was very nice and effective.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I say mild runner build with a RTT. Sad to see this thing and you part ways when you can manage to sell it but I completely understand. Maybe someday I'll not enjoy the rock crawling so much but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Good luck Steve, can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I already have my Ford which has an 8' bed for truck duties so this is probably a bias opinion. Anyway every time I decide I have to get some something different I weigh out the 4 door Tacoma option. I still haven't bought one because the price is though the roof on the 01-04 models and the bed size just doesn't do it for me. Its too small to sleep or haul much in and traveling around I hate having all my gear exposed (stopped in Portland once for Coffee and actually drew a crowd with all my camping/hiking gear under the rrt in the bed of a Dodge... made me nervous as hell) which for me demands a shell. With a shell I would basically have a long 4runner except I still can't sleep in it and I like having my dogs inside the vehicle while traveling in cool temps. Sleeping in a vehicle vs a tent is a huge discussion all in its own. Not downplaying the 4 door Taco's they again they are incredible rigs that people really put to good use and tend to hand on to. Just giving a different point of view on them.

I guess this should probably go in the what rig should I buy next thread... :eek:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I know you won't go to the dark side, but after sleeping in my 4-door JK for the last week, I'm quite happy with it...

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Man I love this rig :) Almost everything about it, ALMOST. The only thing I don't love is that it's not a 4Runner!!!. It makes me want to stay with my IFS and save the money i would have spent on the SAS for a doubler. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have into that doubler? I will be using this thread as a guide for my 4Runner build.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I say mild runner build with a RTT. Sad to see this thing and you part ways when you can manage to sell it but I completely understand. Maybe someday I'll not enjoy the rock crawling so much but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Good luck Steve, can't wait to see what you come up with next.

RTTs are heavy on top, though, with increased wind noise and resistance. I think he needs to grab himself a 3rd gen 4Runner with the same powertrain as his truck, swap his doubler stuff and the Helton and everything else over, and then sell the Taco or part out what's left in order to fund a nice little offroad trailer and put the RTT on that.