Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Dave and I (and his teenage son) got together for another bike ride today. We spent almost an hour on dirt, with only a short chunk of pavement which was between his house and our route. Nothing fancy; just getting in some seat time. Dave has decided he has ridden this borrowed bike enough to know what he needs/wants in a bike of his own. He thinks he is ready to start shopping around.

After our ride was over, I decided to count teeth and compare gear ratios between the three bikes. Here is what I learned.

Dave's borrowed Fezzari (1x11 setup): 30-46 for a low ratio of .65 (on 27.5" wheels)
His son's old Specialized Rockhopper (gifted from the same neighbor): 22-32 for a ratio of .69 (but on 26" wheels)
My Marlin: 24-28 for a ratio of .86 (ouch!) on 29" wheels--the tallest of the group (ouch! x2)

After doing this math, I decided I really want a lower first gear. Kevin pointed out a gear set on Amazon, and there is one (not the one he linked) which shares the same general model designation as my stock one--TZ500. From what I see online, this set's taller six gears are identical to my current setup; only the shortest one is changed from 28 teeth to 34 teeth. On the plus side, that would put my low ratio at 24-34 and works out to .71, getting me much closer to my co-riders (though I still have taller tires). On the downside, this would mean I'd have a huge step every time I shift from 1 -> 2 or vice versa since the 2nd gear has the same 24 teeth as my current setup. It would be much more practical if they spaced out the other gears to match.

Anyway, just thought I'd follow up with my findings.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
After doing this math, I decided I really want a lower first gear.

Are you still in the buyers remorse window, where your bike shop might let you trade up? The Marlin 5 is $50 more and has a 12-32 range in the rear, and an actual freehub/cassette setup which is much more upgradeable than your current freewheel. (This guy, for reference)

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Okay. Decisions, decisions.

This morning I spoke with my contact, and then with The Big Boss. He said trading up is a possibility; he wanted his guys to inspect the bike before he committed to any thing (or any figures), and I totally understand that. So I cleaned up the bike a bit, then took it down to the Provo shop. At first glance, my contact there thought it would be no problem taking it back; nevertheless, I told him to go ahead and inspect it as thoroughly as necessary before reporting back to The Boss.

While I was there, my plan was to select an upgrade. I could only narrow it down to two bikes, which have nearly identical specs overall. They are:

Trek Marlin 6 in a gorgeous electric blue
Marlin6_20_28787_B_Portrait

Specialized Pitch Sport in sports car red
Specialized

These bikes both use the same 2x8 gearset with a 22-34 low gear for a ratio of .65. They use the same front fork (which is an upgrade from the one on my 4). Other upgrades include hydraulic disc brakes, plus better componetry all around.

What are the differences? Well, the Trek uses a rear derailer which is a slight upgrade from that on the Specialized. The Trek also separates its brake and shifter controls, so I could replace just one or the other if needed; the Specialized uses both-in-one pieces which would require replacing the entire assembly if either function craps out. The bikes use different brands of brake hardware, but two store employees both felt that there was no significant difference between them from a hardware/durability/maintenance standpoint.

So that leaves only one real difference, and it is significant to me: the wheel size. The Trek uses 29" wheels, of course, whereas the Specialized uses 27.5" wheels. During our phone conversation, The Big Boss kept trying to impress upon me how much of an upgrade 29" wheels are and how much better they are than 27.5" wheels. Once you're underway, I'm certain he is correct. But I am more concerned about hill climbs than I am with momentum on the pavement. Am I making too big a deal out of this? As I keep saying, my former bike used 26" wheels and I managed to get along just fine on paved roads so I'm sure the 27.5" wheels will work just fine in that application.

I haven't made a decision yet, but I will need to do so soon. I'm just waiting to hear back with final word on my trade up situation, after which I (hope to) make a choice and buy another bike. Thoughts?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
If you haven't had significant time on either 29 or 27.5, my feeling is either will be fine. I have ridden both 27.5 and 29 and personally prefer 27.5, but everyone will have different opinions. I have 2 bikes, a 27.5+ and a 29+ (I love big tires on everything...) and think you can adapt to either.

Having said that, if it were me, I would focus on the other differences and would lean toward the brake and gear selector being different. I have crashed enough to know that it is only a matter of time before I break a brake lever. I would rather just replace that and not have to mess with the gear selector too, but that's me. It is also nice to be able to adjust each independently to fit your preference on the bars.

My $0.02.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
As he just said it comes down to preference. I had a 29er before I have two 27.5's now. I much prefer my 27.5, I feel they are more playful and more fun in the curves. Yeah 29's roll over stuff easier the same as a 33 vs 35. I can't notice a significant difference. People say 29's are faster but at my skill level I couldn't really tell you. Occasionally while riding with Kevin I find myself pedaling when he's coasting through a section but I also sometimes coast through stuff he's pedaling so who knows.

My suggestion is ride them both as much as you can. Do lots of turns in the parking lot roll over some stuff if you can. Is the geometry the same on both? See how that feels, could be more important to you than wheel size. Try and find a steep street near the bike dealer to climb up. My old mamba wouldn't keep the front tire on the ground while climbing I don't have that problem with these bikes because of the geometry

But Kevin will argue that 29's are the way to go and if you get 27.5's he'll make fun of your small tires, and even if you have 3.0's he'll still call them skinny :rofl:

Ride what you like not what someone else says is good.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I appreciate everything you guys said. I haven't heard back from the store (at least I don't think I did... but I've had back-to-back customers all afternoon so I may have missed their call), so I haven't had to make my final decision yet.

In case you couldn't tell, the only thing that really tips the odds in favor of the Specialized is the smaller tires. Every other difference between the two favors the Trek as far as I'm concerned. On top of all that is the beautiful blue paint. If the Trek had 27.5" wheels, I would have already bought it on the spot earlier today.

Yeah, I think that's the way I'm gonna go. (Besides, I can't have Kevin laughing at me.)

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I have limited experience.. but the 29's have been nice for being smoother while riding around.. but are much harder for doing tricks (wheelies,curb jumps, ect) because it's got a high COG to get over.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I think you're making the right call. The Marlin 4 would serve well as a casual bike but it sounds like you already know that won't be enough for you. Both of the bikes you're looking at now are still entry level but a solid step up. They've got very similar build lists and geometry, so definitely just go with whichever one gives you a bigger grin.

But I am more concerned about hill climbs than I am with momentum on the pavement.

Chunky uphills are one of the places where I feel like 29 shines, where the slightly better attack angle lets you conserve more momentum and roll over the rocky bits easier. But it's true that the 27.5 will accelerate faster and feel more playful and responsive, all other things being equal (geometry on the bike has a lot to do with it too). In the end it comes down to personal preference. I love 29 for me, your mileage may vary.

And for the record, I make fun of Josh's small tires because I'm mad that he beats me to the top of the hill every time, not because he's got small tires.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm not the fastest, but I'm pretty mid pack on both up and down hill. My current ride is a 29 with 2.5 tires and it flat out moves. Down choppy braking bumps on Levitate or rocky stuff like Super Sonic at Eagle mountain, I absolutely love the 29. I rode a few of the early 29ers and didn't care for them. I think the biggest difference is the geometry. With the bikes you're looking at, the geometry favors the 27.5 in my book but like was stated, it's all preference. Get a bike, ride it for a year and I'll bet whatever you get, if you are still into biking, you want to upgrade it.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Geometry and feel of the bike are probably the most important for enjoying the bike.

More background info: way back in 1994 when I bought that first Trek, it was from a friend who ran his own bike shop which carried four major brands. Rather than push me toward any specific brand or model, he instead had me ride similar bikes in each brand so I could decide which one felt best to me. This is why I landed on that Trek--it just felt great to me.

This time around, I wasn't necessarily trying to stay brand loyal... but when I first rode that Marlin 4, I felt right at home the second I jumped on it. For the few days I went riding, it always felt very natural, very familiar. Test riding the Specialized felt very similar, but I know the Trek should keep me happy for a long time if my past experience with my old Mountain Track is any indication.

I need to call the bike shop and complete this transition.

The_Lobbster

Tried to order a full sus bike today from bikesonline.com I’ve been saving for, and it turns out, they’re completely sold out of almost everything. They said their sales with the covid situation, have been through the roof. I was pretty surprised at that. And they don’t have an exact set date when the next batch will be finished being built and imported, other than hoping for May or June. Kinda bummed about that, cause I wanted a bike now!!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
They said their sales with the covid situation, have been through the roof. I was pretty surprised at that.

This is happening locally, also. I've been dealing with Hangar 15, and they have stores throughout Utah and southern Salt Lake counties. Especially in the sub-$1000 bikes, their supply is extremely thin. Some of the bike plants overseas have been shut down, and they are also experiencing record sales. The Provo store manager told me they outsold April 2019 in just the first 9 days of April 2020.

Social distancing via bicycle--everybody's doing it, apparently.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Tried to order a full sus bike today from bikesonline.com I’ve been saving for, and it turns out, they’re completely sold out of almost everything. They said their sales with the covid situation, have been through the roof. I was pretty surprised at that. And they don’t have an exact set date when the next batch will be finished being built and imported, other than hoping for May or June. Kinda bummed about that, cause I wanted a bike now!!
Try Bikers Edge in Kaysville. Great folks and local.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I’ll check em out!

If you are considering used I’d let my 2017 Giant Trance 2 go for a great price. Haven’t listed it anywhere yet. it needs a new rear wheel sooner or later, but otherwise good condition. All slx components.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
This is all Kevin's fault. And by that, I mean I owe all my thanks to Kevin for giving me this idea.

This morning I picked up my even newer Marlin 6.
8MwTonT.jpg

They gave me full credit for what I had paid for the Marlin 4, so I am not out a single penny more than if I had just bought the 6 in the first place. I cannot praise the Provo Hangar 15 enough--Preston was very involved throughout the entire process, he took control when other stores were having difficulty helping me out, and he followed through to make sure I was damn well satisfied.

I managed to squeeze in ~ 35 minutes of seat time before I had to come in to work. :)