Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

Tebbsjeep

I got my hardtail set up with tubeless tonight. I hope the benefits will outweigh the frustration of the installation of the stupid rim tape. I'm also going to look at a full suspension tomorrow, and hopefully I'll bring it home.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I've owned my Marlin 6 for two weeks now. I have diligently managed to get some seat time every day, even if only 30 minutes... though some days have been 2+ hours. When I ride, I try to moderately exert myself--fast enough to get my heart rate up a bit, but not any sort of "race pace" or anything silly like that.

Since it has been two full weeks, this morning I decided to step on my bathroom scale. I'm down 4 pounds from when I first bought the bike. :)

I've heard it said that a safe/healthy rate of weight loss is 2-3 pounds per week. Using that as a guide, my short-term goal is to drop another 9 pounds by June 1st. I'll keep riding every day and see how it goes.

RockChucker

Help me spend my money.
My wife wants to take over my bike.
If I wanted a newer bike -probably a trail geometry bike and I wanted to spend less than two grand.
Used does not scare me.
I like my transition sentinel. Been a great bike. Squishy for downhill mobbing and still climbs quite well. I got mine used last summer. I heard they released a new frame this year so might be able to get the older model like mine cheaper

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
@glockman @benjy @sixstringsteve @Corban_White @Kevin B. Guys?
Ideas?
My wife is taking over my Diamondback and here sister is buying her bike so I need to make some moves.

Not much advice... I have a lot of opinions, but they're probably not worth much, I haven't totally bought in to the new school geo. Steep STA still feels strange to me even after I've ridden a few trails on them. I still like shorter chainstays for maneuverability, and 65-67* HTA seems just about right. Oh, and even though I'm 6'1", I still just can't love 29ers.

For about $2k, I'd have a hard time not wanting this one:

Corban_White

Just slightly over your $2000 number, but I was about to pull the trigger on one of these a few weeks ago. Until I spent all my money on a camp trailer.

Here's some used options that look decent:

EDIT: Looks like that pipeline is the same one Ben linked.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
A few other unpopular random points to consider, purely my own experience:
  • Aluminum over carbon in both frame and wheels. Weight penalty isn't worth the $, I'm not hardcore enough to notice the stiffness difference, and the durability of aluminum is peace of mind (I'm currently riding carbon)
  • I prefer shimano brake feel over sram, and SLX is every bit as good as XTR
  • 11 speed is plenty, 30t up front and 42t in back is about perfect
  • I don't notice the stiffness difference between 34 and 36mm stanchions. 34 can save some $
  • Building a bike and choosing your own parts is more rewarding than buying complete
  • Flats>clips
  • ESI Chunky (or super chunky, or whatever they are) FTW
  • Chesters/Fookers are overrated. Go with a concave composite
  • Tools on the bike are awesome, so the bike is always ready to go, not because I hate packs
  • Fidlock water bottles are completely unnecessary, but I love it.
Most of these opinions are probably because I'm not hardcore enough. I try to ride about 1x/week and enjoy progression, but a lot of industry standards are beyond a skill capacity I ever expect to achieve

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
How durable are the ESI grips? I run the ODI Rogues and like them, but I wonder about how plush those ESI Extra Chunkys must feel. I also wonder about if they get dirty or torn up after a bit though?

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
They’re actually not as plush as I thought they would be, and they are less durable than others, but generally my grips don’t rub against rocks much. My current grips have a few chunks out of them, but they don’t look too bad. I imagine they’re probably good for a couple seasons of abuse. IMO they are good enough that I would recommend giving them a shot.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I want to stay 27.5" it feels more playful to me.

Full suspension for sure for me.
That said: Agility is more important to me than monster trucking over boulders.

My current bike is a large. At 5'10" do I want a medium or medium/large?