Can we talk dogs?

Houndoc

Sorry, Greg. I remember meeting her wheeling with you when I had a conference in Grand Junction.
It is always easier saying things from professional view, but what I tell my clients is if the pet seems happy most the time, even if they can't be doing all they did before, then it isn't time yet. When you see that change in attitude/happiness, you will know it is the right time to say goodbye.
Personally, having been through it with my own dogs and horses, it is never easy or as simple decision.

RogueJeepr

Here!
There's a vitamin for dogs that helps with joint pain and arthritis someone recommend to me for our English bulldog, cant remember the name of it.
We had his hips Xrayed and they look great. The cold seems to bring it on, so we try to keep him warm. Loves the electric blanket . Only goes outside for business. Doc gave us a pill to give him when he starts limping.
Bulldogs are known for higher tolerance to pain but he has let us know with a slight whimper/groan.
He's almost 8 and thier lifespan is around 10yrs.
He's the best dog I've ever had.

Attachments

• IMG_20171231_173919.jpg
    IMG_20171231_173919.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20171224_190228.jpg
    IMG_20171224_190228.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 4

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Just went through this a few months back it sucks. It sounds weird to say but I brought our family closer together going through it.

I could see that, don't think it sounds weird at all. I think when Daisy goes, it'll do the same for us.

Sorry, Greg. I remember meeting her wheeling with you when I had a conference in Grand Junction.
It is always easier saying things from professional view, but what I tell my clients is if the pet seems happy most the time, even if they can't be doing all they did before, then it isn't time yet. When you see that change in attitude/happiness, you will know it is the right time to say goodbye.
Personally, having been through it with my own dogs and horses, it is never easy or as simple decision.

Thanks Drew, yeah she was out running all over the place that evening! You're right, it's hard to decide when is the right time... I like what you tell your clients. Daisy seems blissfully unaware of what's happening, she doesn't seem to know why her back legs don't want to work. We've been keeping a very close eye on her, her rear feet slide apart and she ends up flailing and sometimes falling. Our home has hardwood and tile flooring with no carpet so that wasn't easy for her to walk on... now we have rugs, runners and mats scattered thru the house to help her get around. Even built a ramp up to the dog door, so she doesn't have to climb the steps. I picked up some rubber sole'd dog 'socks' that we're going to try.

There's a vitamin for dogs that helps with joint pain and arthritis someone recommend to me for our English bulldog, cant remember the name of it.

We've been giving Daisy Glucosamine for some time, is that what you're thinking of?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Glucosamine

I think this is the same thing but we were giving our Shepherd MSM when she was having hip issues. I feel your pain Greg, I went through this with our GSD, great shape mentally, struggling physically. Unfortunately we came home from the in laws on Thanksgiving to find her stomach had twisted. She was too old for surgery, and we had to put her down. Was a very rough couple of weeks. We are in the same situation, no kids, she was our kid. Miss her to this day, even with the new pain in the ass we have.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think this is the same thing but we were giving our Shepherd MSM when she was having hip issues. I feel your pain Greg, I went through this with our GSD, great shape mentally, struggling physically. Unfortunately we came home from the in laws on Thanksgiving to find her stomach had twisted. She was too old for surgery, and we had to put her down. Was a very rough couple of weeks. We are in the same situation, no kids, she was our kid. Miss her to this day, even with the new pain in the ass we have.

Sorry to hear, Josh. :(

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Yesterday marked the 1 year anniversary to letting Sobe, 12y/o golden retriever, go due to failing liver/kidneys. It was a very shitty day to sey the least, and he was Jacey's dog.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sorry to hear about Daisy. It's never easy to make the decision facing you. It's been 2.5 years since we had to put down our bulldog, and it still sucks.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I think we are ready for a dog. Leaning strongly toward miniature schnauzer based on some that a few friends have had good experiences with. Any words of caution from those in the know?

Essentially my criteria is as follows:
-no shedding. Dog hair makes me gag, this will be an indoor family member type dog. First choice is a heeler, but I don't think I could manage the shedding.
- smaller size. Grew up with big labs, would like something medium to small.
- good hiking/camping/jogging companion

Open to alternative choices if the schnauzer is a bad choice.....

Tebbsjeep

I have no experience with the schnauzer, but I have a Boxer/Australian Shepherd mix that is a great hiking/camping dog. She will play fetch for days. She is very playful and friendly to everybody, but still decently protective at home. I also have a Red Healer/Pitbull mix(or so we were told) that is a VERY cuddly dog, but she is also quite shy and takes a minute to warm up to strangers. We haven't taken her camping or hiking yet, so I don't know how she'll do. Both of my dogs are very alert to noises or bad vibes, which I like for piece of mind when my wife is home alone. They are also great with kids. One dog is about 60lbs and the other is about 40lbs, so not real huge. Both of them shed like crazy though.

I've mostly been around Boxers, and I love their temperament, so they get my vote. But I'm starting to like the cattle dog traits in my current dogs as well. They are both really smart, but still young pups so they still get into mischief.

Tonkaman

I think we are ready for a dog. Leaning strongly toward miniature schnauzer based on some that a few friends have had good experiences with. Any words of caution from those in the know?

Essentially my criteria is as follows:
-no shedding. Dog hair makes me gag, this will be an indoor family member type dog. First choice is a heeler, but I don't think I could manage the shedding.
- smaller size. Grew up with big labs, would like something medium to small.
- good hiking/camping/jogging companion

Open to alternative choices if the schnauzer is a bad choice.....

The only miniature schnauzers I’ve been around are hyperactive nimrods. I have no idea if that’s typical, but 3 for 3 that I can remember

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
If you don't want shedding, definitely don't get a heeler :rofl: My life is a constant battle of fur. I absolutely love my heelers personality to DEATH, I really couldn't have asked for a better mannered dog. But the fur is enough to make me probably not ever get another. Bathing and brushing only help so much.

Personally, it doesn't bother me that much, I have gotten used to practically always being able to find a few white hairs on my clothes any given day, even if I am wearing clothes fresh out of the washer/dryer and I haven't even been near my dog or any source of fur yet; but I know it bothers other people. I used to have my heeler ride with me in my truck practically everywhere I ever went, but passengers don't love taking his fur home with them, so I only take him with me on few occasions now.

As far as the breed for him being a hiking/outdoorsy companion, he is great there too. He loves going to lakes, he loves going for runs, loves basically doing anything I'm doing, but, the fur comes with too.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
My brother had a heeler once and had to tie him up whenever he would mow the grass. Crazy dog would bite the tires on the riding mower and not let go, while it was moving. Flopped like a rag doll but would not let go....

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
My brother had a heeler once and had to tie him up whenever he would mow the grass. Crazy dog would bite the tires on the riding mower and not let go, while it was moving. Flopped like a rag doll but would not let go....

I was worried about that trait and also the nipping/tending-to-not-like-little-kids trait that a lot heelers get a rap for, but luckily he's not like that.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
The only miniature schnauzers I’ve been around are hyperactive nimrods. I have no idea if that’s typical, but 3 for 3 that I can remember
Uh, I should have added that to my criteria: No hyperactive nimrods.

One guy I knew had a schnauzer like that, that dog was the worst. Others I've seen have been the opposite. I've been told schnauzers vary widely in personality, so more than most breeds perhaps, finding one from a good breeder is key, as well as spending time with the puppies themselves to observe personalities and selecting against hyperactive nimrodism.

That said, if that is indeed a trait of the breed, I'm out.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
If you don't want shedding, definitely don't get a heeler :rofl: My life is a constant battle of fur. I absolutely love my heelers personality to DEATH, I really couldn't have asked for a better mannered dog. But the fur is enough to make me probably not ever get another. Bathing and brushing only help so much.

Personally, it doesn't bother me that much, I have gotten used to practically always being able to find a few white hairs on my clothes any given day, even if I am wearing clothes fresh out of the washer/dryer and I haven't even been near my dog or any source of fur yet; but I know it bothers other people. I used to have my heeler ride with me in my truck practically everywhere I ever went, but passengers don't love taking his fur home with them, so I only take him with me on few occasions now.

As far as the breed for him being a hiking/outdoorsy companion, he is great there too. He loves going to lakes, he loves going for runs, loves basically doing anything I'm doing, but, the fur comes with too.

I do think these dogs are my fine favorite, but the fur is the deal breaker. Super cool dogs, looks like you've got a good one.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
It might not meet all your criteria; but my next doggo will be a full-size Doberman. I'm just waiting on timing to be right in my life for me to do the puppy thing. I'd like to get it sooner than later so that my Heeler can have another companion, but I've been wanting one for the last few years now and the timing just hasn't been right yet.

Bart

We have a schnauzer and she is a great house and family dog. No shedding was a must for us, and she is great with that. Very loyal and good with kids. They have 2 big drawbacks, they bark a lot, and they will take off and run. It's in their blood. I hear you can train them to reduce that, but we must not have done a good job at that. Besides that she has been a great dog for 13 years.