Coronavirus

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
More numbers.

In the Harvard team’s moderate scenario — where 40% of the adult population contracts the disease over the course of a year — 98.9 million Americans would develop the coronavirus, though many will have mild or no symptoms, and will not have their diagnoses confirmed by tests. Slightly more than a fifth of all cases will require hospitalization. (That’s roughly the average number of patients requiring hospitalization in other countries.) To treat all hospitalized patients over that time, the country would have to more than double available hospital beds by freeing up existing beds or adding new ones.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
More from the ProPublica article:
Here’s what the situation looks like in Salt Lake City, UT, the region you’ve selected.
As of 2018, Salt Lake City, UT had 4,000 total hospital beds, of which about 55% were occupied, potentially leaving only 1,800 beds open for additional patients. The bed count includes 530 beds in intensive care units, according to data from the American Hospital Association and the American Hospital Directory. Intensive care units are best equipped to handle the most acute coronavirus cases.
The Salt Lake City, UT region has a population of about 2.2 millionresidents; 11% are over the age of 65. The experience in other countries has shown that elderly patients have significantly higher hospitalizationand fatality rates from the coronavirus.
In the moderate scenario, in which 40% of the adult population contracts the disease over 12 months, Salt Lake City, UT would be among the regions that would need to expand capacity.
It is estimated that about 8% of the adult population would require hospital care. In a moderate scenario where 40% of the population is infected over a 12-month period, hospitals in Salt Lake City, UT would receive an estimated 127,000coronavirus patients. The influx of patients would require 4,250 beds over 12 months, which is 2.4 times the available beds in that time period. The Harvard researchers' scenarios assume that each coronavirus patient will require 12 days of hospital care on average, based on data from China.
In the Salt Lake City, UT region, intensive care units would be especially overwhelmed and require additional capacity. Without coronavirus patients, there are only 280 available beds on average in intensive care units, which is 3.2times less than what is needed to care for all severe cases.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
clicked on the link to Propublica. Their home page dedicates and entire section to anti Trump articles. I'm neither left nor right leaning but I seriously question any "news" source that has a dedicated section to complaining about our sitting president, whether it is Obama or Trump. Its scary how hard it is to get actual, non partisan information about a virus.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
clicked on the link to Propublica. Their home page dedicates and entire section to anti Trump articles. I'm neither left nor right leaning but I seriously question any "news" source that has a dedicated section to complaining about our sitting president, whether it is Obama or Trump. Its scary how hard it is to get actual, non partisan information about a virus.

So their mission is anti-corruption. That's going to kind of skew what they're writing about.

I don't consider myself left or right either, and I've followed Propublica for years and years. They're pretty consistent and not particularly for or against either party. I absolutely would not lump them in with the like of HuffPo or any of the other "progressive" media outlets.

ID Bronco

We were there picking up our daughter who was one of those returning from the Philippines.
We had received very specific instructions, with big red bold letters stating "must be followed exactly ". I guess I bent the ruled sitting on top my Xterra instead of in it to help spot my daughter, but the number who brought extra people, stood in large groups etc was frustrating.
You would think that something associated with our missionary children would be an easy time to be obedient to church leadership.

I wish I would have been able to meet you there, small world. Again, we were gone by the time anyone lined up as in the article posted. Those church members were in the wrong, but they are far from the only offenders of any religion/social whatever.

Houndoc, I hope your daughter is doing well!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I wish I would have been able to meet you there, small world. Again, we were gone by the time anyone lined up as in the article posted. Those church members were in the wrong, but they are far from the only offenders of any religion/social whatever.

They are very far from the only group of people acting irresponsibly. What has caught so much attention is, A) its the church. B) anyone who has been on a plane or in a different country is at the top of the list for risk of spreading the virus and here you have 1600 of those people and instead of them being forced into a 14 day quarantine, they were greeted with a mass of potential carriers. It was stupid on another level than going to the park or the grocery store.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
They are very far from the only group of people acting irresponsibly. What has caught so much attention is, A) its the church. B) anyone who has been on a plane or in a different country is at the top of the list for risk of spreading the virus and here you have 1600 of those people and instead of them being forced into a 14 day quarantine, they were greeted with a mass of potential carriers. It was stupid on another level than going to the park or the grocery store.

This is exactly my thought as well. It's probably equally the fault of the management at the airport or even within government or church leadership for not having a better plan in place to receive these kids. Common sense isn't as common as you think, and you can't let a hoard like that try to make judgement calls on it's own.

The asshole in me also thought "and these are the people that dictate our liquor legislation". ;)

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Someone on a different floor at work tested positive yesterday and were in the office Friday. They had damage from the earthquake so that was the only day they were in last week I guess. Anyway, we are told to not come in this week. We don't mingle in the building except for sharing the bank of three elevators.

I hope that I'm not the only one that's struggling with the "work" in "work from home." On a side note I'm killing it in the new animal crossing.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
We got the go ahead to reduce staffing yesterday. So I'm working from home three days a week now. Still have to go in twice to provide coverage for the few people that are actually there. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I'm glad that my boss finally started to take this more seriously. On the other hand, getting up and going into work every morning was a nice way to have a bit of normalcy, even if being at work was a little weird with no one there. Let me tell you, the tunnels in the Huntsman Center are a bit eerie when all the lights are off in the arena!

Houndoc

She is adjusting fairly well. Day 2 of. 14 done!
No idea when reassignment information comes, but kind of like waiting for a mission call all over again.

The_Lobbster

We got the go ahead to reduce staffing yesterday. So I'm working from home three days a week now. Still have to go in twice to provide coverage for the few people that are actually there. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I'm glad that my boss finally started to take this more seriously. On the other hand, getting up and going into work every morning was a nice way to have a bit of normalcy, even if being at work was a little weird with no one there. Let me tell you, the tunnels in the Huntsman Center are a bit eerie when all the lights are off in the arena!
Where do you work? U of U correct? I work for UVU, and they are refusing to declare a code orange. They apparently don’t realize that if one person in facilities gets sick, the ENTIRE dept will be gone on quarantine.