Coronavirus

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
First of all, I’m not sure I would characterize Americans’ skepticism toward government orders as an inherently bad quality. In this case it may prolong some problems, but taken as a whole it produces a pretty good freedom-based society. Which is a good thing. But more resources need to be put toward public education of what’s really going on and why these mandates are in place. The deep state conspiracies need to stop, and the math, evidence, and science behind these public measures need to be clear to everyone.

Policy makers and government officials also need to do a better job of outlining what the path forward will look like. If we are 18 months from widespread distribution of a vaccine, are we trying to flatten the curve through social distancing...for 18 months? The public health calculus says yes. The economic calculus says hell no. At some point society will have to determine what its tolerance for fatalities really is, weighing all the factors in the balance. My guess is the curve will get flat enough that people will get back to work in 4 weeks. Hospitals will still be overwhelmed, but not as bad as projections, although not as good as it could be. If the margin is 4% mortality rates of no societal action taken, or .9% if extreme measures adopted until vaccine time, we will settle on 2% and say we did our best.

I do not envy the people who have to decide these things.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Americans are interesting.

They don't like being told what to do... even though they're being instructed to do what many usually do in their lives... be lazy at home. The irony is not lost on me.

I have seen people in my neighborhood be very respectful and responsible while being outside. Then, I see others I know share on social that they are having spring break get-togethers, boredom BBQs, flag football, and even one guy is trying to put together a car cruise.

I don't get any of that thinking. I'm trying to figure out effective marketing, delivery, and so on for my business that doesn't impact others - at all.

I'm seeing how this impacts small businesses and that has me alarmed... the more these clowns throw their stupid-ass block parties the slower we are going to get back to biz.

I see some really astute biz owners getting their strategy set because it's going to be unprecedented buying/spending when people are free to shop.

Restaurants and services like hair, nails, etc., who can survive are going to witness a rush like we've never seen.

But every bonehead that refuses to take a step back from their invincibility fable is just part of the problem that's slowing us down from getting to that possibility.
I can and do understand being skeptical about everything but the stupidity I've witnessed is alarming. A guy on my shift at work sells snake oil. He is mad, literally angry that our employer is making people work from home. Why, because his mlm company has a product that cures COVID! People really are this stupid.
Even better this guy is a very intelligent electrical engineer. He understands science and is really good at his job. It baffles me.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
As some of you know I am an RN and work in Southern Utah at the only hospital in town. We have a couple of cases that are now in the hospital. Today I was handed 1 n95 mask and told to take care of it as it is the only one I will be getting. If it gets dirty then I need to clean it with the purple wipes. Makes feel all warm and fuzzy that I get to reuse my n95 which is suppose to be single use. There are so many problems with this. Crazy that this is what it has come too. Hopefully it won't come to me needing to use it. Fortunately I work in the cardiac cath lab and not on the floor.

ID Bronco

How about all of those people at the airport last night having a COVID party in the terminal parking garage? So smart.

I guess I didn't see the news report on this, but I was there. It must have been worse when we left. Or not. My Son came home last night after a full two years and we drove to SLC to pick him up. We didn't know about the other 1600 missionaries coming home. Our son was in Ohio, not the Philippines but because he was a missionary they sent us up to the 2nd floor parking garage. We still didn't know what was happening. Well then a ton of people showed up after we had been there for 30 minutes or so. We only brought 2 people, we stayed in and at our own car (many didn't follow any of those rules) and our Son was the first one to the garage since he wasn't part of the exodus. So we were gone by the time any other missionaries came out. I think we missed the big group. I'll say that 80% of the families were following the rules of the airport/mission dept. and only a few that I saw were being knuckleheads. But those few were serious idiots.

Houndoc

How about all of those people at the airport last night having a COVID party in the terminal parking garage? So smart.
We were there picking up our daughter who was one of those returning from the Philippines.
We had received very specific instructions, with big red bold letters stating "must be followed exactly ". I guess I bent the ruled sitting on top my Xterra instead of in it to help spot my daughter, but the number who brought extra people, stood in large groups etc was frustrating.
You would think that something associated with our missionary children would be an easy time to be obedient to church leadership.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We were there picking up our daughter who was one of those returning from the Philippines.
We had received very specific instructions, with big red bold letters stating "must be followed exactly ". I guess I bent the ruled sitting on top my Xterra instead of in it to help spot my daughter, but the number who brought extra people, stood in large groups etc was frustrating.
You would think that something associated with our missionary children would be an easy time to be obedient to church leadership.

to many “special” saints out there? Those folks piss me off

Houndoc

I guess it is the same mentality that had people angry about government restrictions- we don't like to be told what to do, even if it can save our own life.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I guess it is the same mentality that had people angry about government restrictions- we don't like to be told what to do, even if it can save our own life.
My only argument is you are literally picking up a person that was in a high risk area and disseminating them into the population. This is about as risky a defiance as one can make.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
As some of you know I am an RN and work in Southern Utah at the only hospital in town. We have a couple of cases that are now in the hospital. Today I was handed 1 n95 mask and told to take care of it as it is the only one I will be getting. If it gets dirty then I need to clean it with the purple wipes. Makes feel all warm and fuzzy that I get to reuse my n95 which is suppose to be single use. There are so many problems with this. Crazy that this is what it has come too. Hopefully it won't come to me needing to use it. Fortunately I work in the cardiac cath lab and not on the floor.

Saw this in my email, maybe it will help maybe it won't but it's something

Dear Harbor Freight Community,

As we’ve been following the news over the last few days, we’ve heard about the severe shortage of protective gear for hospitals, healthcare workers and first responders as the impact of COVID-19 is being felt across the country. America depends on these heroes every day and in the days ahead we will depend on them even more. At Harbor Freight, we want them to know that they can depend on us too.

So we’ve decided to donate our entire supply of the personal protective equipment items listed below to front line hospitals with 24 hour emergency rooms in the communities served by our stores.

• N95 Masks
• Face Shields
• 5 and 7 mil Nitrile Gloves
If you work at a hospital with a 24 hour emergency room in need of these items, please ask the office in charge of procurement at your hospital to click here so they can provide us with the information we’ll need to determine if we can make a donation. If you’re not with a hospital, but would like to give us the name of a hospital with a 24 hour emergency room in your community that might need our help, please email us at hospitalhelp@harborfreight.com, identify the hospital’s city and state in the subject line, and our team will follow-up.

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE REQUESTS AT YOUR LOCAL STORE OR OUR CALL CENTER AND PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT HOSPITALS—THEY’RE BUSY HELPING THEIR PATIENTS.

For hospitals we’re able to help, we’ll email them a voucher when the supplies are available for pick up at their local Harbor Freight Tools store.

Although we certainly won’t have enough of these supplies to fill everyone’s needs, we’re going to donate everything we’ve got. We also recognize that there are so many other critically important people responding to this crisis and that there is need everywhere. We’ve chosen to focus our efforts on hospitals with a 24 hour emergency room with the hope that we can help as many people as possible right now.

Thank you and God Bless,

Eric Smidt
Owner and Founder
Harbor Freight Tools
{/QUOTE]

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
We can thank the "opportunists" charging $40 for 3.

Will they allow washable? If so, I will work on getting some for you and your colleagues.
Are N95s washable? We have plenty of other mask for the time being but it was the N95s that are on shortage.