Coronavirus

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Is a mandatory lock down by a state governor even constitutional? People have surrendered without even questioning.

We are already bailing out banks at a higher and faster rate than in 2008. The mortgage backed securities market, remember that little thing that caused 2008 housing collapse? Now up over $1.5 quadrillion, thats right I said quadrillion, as in 1000 trillion. Try to even wrap your mind around that.

If we can stop all this stoopidity right now the market should bounce back fairly quickly, but if this unnecessary retardedness drags out for a while the economic impact will kill far more people than the virus ever dreamed about.

SnwMnkys

My friend who lives in China posted this a couple hours ago.

"For those who asked for updates (and truth) about China. The virus was contained in my city after implementing a 3 week quarantine. The quarantine ended several weeks ago, public transportation was reopened and businesses started slowly opening. People were allowed to go out freely if they had been in the city without any travel, but required to wear masks. People who left the city and returned were quarantined for 2 weeks. This is still the requirement if you have traveled back from a high risk area. Today we were informed that you may travel freely without masks. Wednesday was the first day China reported no new domestic cases since the start of the virus, but did report 34 new imported cases. "

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well I can tell ya that northern California doesn't seem to care about Shelter in Place. I delivered 3 different stores today and they were all packed. The traffic is lighter, but only maybe 50%.

SnwMnkys

Another post from the same friend in China. Shes from New Orleans and was in the US when this first hit. So shes seeing it from both perspectives.

"PSA for all my New Orleans, Louisiana & American friends, and all the other countries that are facing high numbers of COVID-19.

China had 198 cases of COVID-19 reported January 20. This number seemed to grow at a consistent rate of at least 200 daily. Hangzhou (my city) has 10 MILLION people. When the virus began here, they put the city on lock down for 3 weeks. This was not a suggestion; people COULD NOT leave their homes. Only markets & pharmacies were allowed to open, and at limited hours. ONE person for each household could leave every 2 DAYS for an HOUR to get supplies. You were ID-ed & temperature checked before entering an establishment & again when you returned to your building. The highest number of COVID-19 topped out at 183, in a city of 10M!!!

Louisiana has less than 5 million people, New Orleans has less than 400,000. The first reported case was in New Orleans March 9. In 2 weeks, the number has increased in New Orleans to 451 and 837 across Louisiana. As I look at FB, I see lots of people going to restaurants for their take-away food several times a day, going shopping, etc. You need to stay home!!! You are putting yourself and everyone you come into contact with at risk. If the numbers keep rising, businesses will be closed indefinitely, and you will be stuck at home for much longer than you need to be. Please stay home.

As of today, Hangzhou is good, but not completely functional. Schools are still not back in session and we don’t have a definite date when they will resume. This is after 2 months in a city of 10M that only had 183 cases.

P.S. I laugh at my USA friends complaining about their "quarantine" while outside at the park, running, walking their dogs, shopping & getting take out..... while I sit inside my condo in REAL quarantine for 2 weeks. Don't make the government put you in real quarantine. You won't like it."

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Another post from the same friend in China. Shes from New Orleans and was in the US when this first hit. So shes seeing it from both perspectives.

"PSA for all my New Orleans, Louisiana & American friends, and all the other countries that are facing high numbers of COVID-19.

China had 198 cases of COVID-19 reported January 20. This number seemed to grow at a consistent rate of at least 200 daily. Hangzhou (my city) has 10 MILLION people. When the virus began here, they put the city on lock down for 3 weeks. This was not a suggestion; people COULD NOT leave their homes. Only markets & pharmacies were allowed to open, and at limited hours. ONE person for each household could leave every 2 DAYS for an HOUR to get supplies. You were ID-ed & temperature checked before entering an establishment & again when you returned to your building. The highest number of COVID-19 topped out at 183, in a city of 10M!!!

Louisiana has less than 5 million people, New Orleans has less than 400,000. The first reported case was in New Orleans March 9. In 2 weeks, the number has increased in New Orleans to 451 and 837 across Louisiana. As I look at FB, I see lots of people going to restaurants for their take-away food several times a day, going shopping, etc. You need to stay home!!! You are putting yourself and everyone you come into contact with at risk. If the numbers keep rising, businesses will be closed indefinitely, and you will be stuck at home for much longer than you need to be. Please stay home.

As of today, Hangzhou is good, but not completely functional. Schools are still not back in session and we don’t have a definite date when they will resume. This is after 2 months in a city of 10M that only had 183 cases.

P.S. I laugh at my USA friends complaining about their "quarantine" while outside at the park, running, walking their dogs, shopping & getting take out..... while I sit inside my condo in REAL quarantine for 2 weeks. Don't make the government put you in real quarantine. You won't like it."
Remember that China is a brutal communist police state that literally welded the doors shut on apartment buildings to keep people in and stop the spread. This is mainly because they waited faaaar too long to acknowledge that there was a problem and took the most drastic step necessary. Also, China's healthcare system is pathetic compared the most western countries. They had no choice but to implement draconian restrictions on its massive and largely impoverished citizenry to not overwhelm its weak and already strained hospital network.

The US, by comparison, is in for a rough road with this. BUT, we as a country are not willing to accept long term restrictions on our freedoms. Nor should we. I believe, and I hope I'm right, that our citizens will abide by common sense and help fight this thing, but at the same time I think that we are willing to accept the pain of a more prolonged outbreak if that means we maintain our sense of freedom and liberty. Hopefully Benjamin Franklin's words still ring true.
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
As foolish as it is for some people to assume our government should care for us 100% regardless of our freedoms, I also believe it is just as foolish to believe we can do whatever we please because of our freedoms. Sometimes it is because of our restrictions that we do become truly free.
I hope that those that feel the need to prove their freedoms don’t end up taking away the freedoms of other.