Coronavirus

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
This article makes the claim that Germany is testing way more frequently than other countries, and thus does have more relaxed isolation policies than everybody else. That's good news for the roadmap that Utah has put out, assuming we get that testing going.

There's also an argument in there for decentralization of some aspects of health care, which is probably exactly the opposite direction that we're going to go once this all wraps up...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'm on a conference call with some of the U's administration right now and they are planning on converting many of the dorms into hospital rooms for non-COVID patients; if needed. Not a bad idea. They are also predicting that students will not be allowed on campus until September at the earliest.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
That seems like a decent idea. Dorm beds are no good for sleeping in anyway. They would make great hospital bands though.

Some common sense as POTUS listens to advisors and extends to end of April rather than sending everyone back to work at Easter.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
That seems like a decent idea. Dorm beds are no good for sleeping in anyway. They would make great hospital bands though.

Some common sense as POTUS listens to advisors and extends to end of April rather than sending everyone back to work at Easter.
Lived in the dorms my freshman year and 12 days basically bed ridden in the hospital last year. I remember the dorm beds being more enjoyable! ;)

Houndoc

Is common sense starting to creep in? I think I feel a tear forming in the corner of my eye, I am so got darn proud of you guys right now.
If common sense was creeping in, we would be limiting our activity and staying home without the government having to tell us to.
I think we need to accept that it will be a few more weeks until trends are understood enough to look into what areas can have loosened restrictions and how soon. NYC 250+ deaths yesterday alone tells me we need to remain vigilant.

Houndoc

I am interested in hearing the cries for universal Healthcare after seeing that model fail elsewhere in the world, and am curious to see the final numbers on mortality rates.

I am curious to see where the dust settles and the post apocolypse analysis as to why mortality rates varied by country. I suspect right now it has something to do with hard numbers on positive tests.

Type of health care system actual is showing to be of no predictive value in how a country fairs.

At this point at least, the two that have diverged the most from initial out break are South Korea and Italy- which have very similar, government-run health care systems.

Paul R

I talked with one of our vendors in China that was in Wuhan (his hometown) for the Spring Festival. He just got released to go back to work in Shenzhen. The amount of technology and control that China exercised was interesting, but I'm not sure I would advocate for it in the US.
  • They had an app that they had to self report temperature and conditions every day to the government. After 14 days, they were classified as Red, Yellow Green. Red the doctor came to them, Yellow forced quarantine, Green no immediate issue.
  • They then had a QR code on their phone that tracked them through police check points and toll points.
  • Lastly, they had SIM card tracking that tracked all movement of the people and would lock you down if you had been to a hotbed area.
  • Most say they are getting back to normal in the factories now, but are still experiencing supply chain issues.

While the big data info and processing is amazing to me, maybe I'm a bit too old school. Though, as a business owner, I am taking everything pretty seriously to limit exposure potential to our employees and customer base, I tend to personally lean towards the Liberty or Death mentality. I really find the above programs pretty gnarly, yet I would guess the government here likely tracks more of this then they would admit... :spork:

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Year to date COVID-19 deaths in the USA: 3,800

Year to date heart disease deaths in the USA: 220,000

Let's destroy the economy to protect people that were one foot in the grave anyway....
shaking.gif

The virus is real; the response is a scam and a power grab.

Paul R

I have postulated that the rapidity with which the populace adopts the governments regulations is inversely related to populaces expectation of freedom. Western nations, the US in particular does not like to be told what to do.

Probably for good reason too (not saying that the measures don't do good). It is part of our foundation, no matter how slowly we erode it away...

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
These guys have a bone to pick with China and aren't exactly unbiased. But assuming that they're right about the crematoriums being run nonstop for as long as they have, that would indicate 40,000-50,000 deaths in Wuhan alone.

I wonder how many people died of heart disease in Wuhan in the last two months?

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
These guys have a bone to pick with China and aren't exactly unbiased. But assuming that they're right about the crematoriums being run nonstop for as long as they have, that would indicate 40,000-50,000 deaths in Wuhan alone.

Hold on....CHINA dishonest with the rest of the world in order to save face? That doesn’t sound right...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

I've heard and read multiple sources, even in the main stream media, start to refer to it as the "officially reported" Chinese death toll. Its not surprising that their numbers have stagnated since they expelled most foreign journalists.

Its going to be years, but I'm assuming that eventually we'll find out that first, the virus has been circulating in China (and thus the world) months before anything was officially reported. And second, that the death toll in China is astronomically higher than what they reported to the WHO. Probably on the order of hundreds of thousands.

The other thing unbelievable is the low spread and death rate in Beijing and other highly populated areas. I get they have pretty high control over people, but I've been in Beijing and that is one huge mass of humanity.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
The other thing unbelievable is the low spread and death rate in Beijing and other highly populated areas. I get they have pretty high control over people, but I've been in Beijing and that is one huge mass of humanity.

True, but like Paul said above, they were able to put an iron grip of control on their population to try to track it. Undoubtedly with the understanding that if you don't fall in line, you and your family might not be around any more. The "benefit" of a brutal communist dictatorship.
But still, there is no way that Beijing, Shanghai, et. all escaped as unscathed as is being reported.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I feel bad for the people of china. What are the chances that someone actually gets the ashes of their loved one, and not some random person? Guess they wouldn't know so it doesn't matter.