dodge 1500 towing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caleb

James K said:
nobody ever said anything about glow plugs :rolleyes:

its called a manifold heater :rolleyes:

I was going to say..as long as you plug in during the winter months then thats a non-issue...BTW, even if you dont plug in and have to wait its only like 30 sec. or less so if you're that impatient tweaky then diesels obviously aren;t for you....

Turbobob

Semper Fi
tweakeyjeep said:
Well... I like being able to start my dad's truck right up in the cold winter months. Not having to wait for the stupid "wait to start" light to go off. Stupid glow plugs!
Yeah, that 30 seconds takes a lifetime! :rolleyes:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
RockMonkey said:
Tweaker. Dude! Give it up!

Don't listen to him Tweek you have them on the defensive. Try using that argument about how bad it smells when you spill fuel on your shoes while filling up. I also can't beleive you did not bring up the noise. You are slackin dude that whole wait for the gplugs point was not very effective.

Caleb

bobdog said:
Don't listen to him Tweek you have them on the defensive. Try using that argument about how bad it smells when you spill fuel on your shoes while filling up. I also can't beleive you did not bring up the noise. You are slackin dude that whole wait for the gplugs point was not very effective.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
bobdog said:

:rofl: :rofl:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Hickey said:
Thank you! :rofl:

Diesels are uber-gay :rolleyes: Screaming turbos just suck... and blow.
UGH. Yeah, and that faint, high-pitched whining noise it makes? Ya gotta hate that... Oh, and the long distances that those darn engines allow you to tow without stopping for fuel just lends itself to causing driver fatigue. Downright unsafe. :rolleyes:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
RockMonkey said:
Oh, and the long distances that those darn engines allow you to tow without stopping for fuel just lends itself to causing driver fatigue. Downright unsafe. :rolleyes:
You don't have to tell me! I put 200 dollars worth of fuel through tthe diesel I drove today! :rofl:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
RockMonkey said:
UGH. Yeah, and that faint, high-pitched whining noise it makes? Ya gotta hate that... Oh, and the long distances that those darn engines allow you to tow without stopping for fuel just lends itself to causing driver fatigue. Downright unsafe. :rolleyes:

Seriously!! My Cummins is horrible! 20 MPG, 500 miles per tank and 460 Ft Lbs? Why did I ever sell my 350'd Chevy... that thing ROCKED! 10 MPG, 250 Ft Lbs (on a good day), and about 250 miles to a tank of gas. I just kick myself for selling the Chevy.... especially with gas being so affordable these days.... :(

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Greg said:
Seriously!! My Cummins is horrible! 20 MPG, 500 miles per tank and 460 Ft Lbs? Why did I ever sell my 350'd Chevy... that thing ROCKED! 10 MPG, 250 Ft Lbs (on a good day), and about 250 miles to a tank of gas. I just kick myself for selling the Chevy.... especially with gas being so affordable these days.... :(
I've gotten within a few miles of 700 miles on one tank. :D Not towing, of course. I can always get above 600 without filling up if I don't tow. Made it all the to Grand Staircase and back home without filling up last fall. :D Diesels sure do suck...

Greg

Admin
RockMonkey said:
I've gotten within a few miles of 700 miles on one tank. :D Not towing, of course. I can always get above 600 without filling up if I don't tow. Made it all the to Grand Staircase and back home without filling up last fall. :D Diesels sure do suck...

Serious??! Almost 700 miles! :eek:

What size tank does your truck have? Do you have the overhead MPG computer? What was your MPG at that time??

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Greg said:
Serious??! Almost 700 miles! :eek:

What size tank does your truck have? Do you have the overhead MPG computer? What was your MPG at that time??
34 Gallons. Or is it 35? One of those. The gauge read 21.something, and it's consistantly 1 mpg higher when I calculate it by hand at fill-up time. Cool, huh? I love that truck. Love it so much that I don't drive it anymore... :confused:

xj_punk said:
anyone know the tow rating on a dodge 1500 5.2L 5 spd?
anyone have anything against this setup for towing? i test drove one and it is nice... the 5.2 liter has always seemed powerful and i would like a 5 spd because the 1/2 ton autos are junk! i wish i could put up enough $ for a ctd or even a 2500 with a 5.9L. i can't afford to drive a v10 with the 6 mpgs they get.

-nate

So, what are you thinking now?

Greg

Admin
RockMonkey said:
34 Gallons. Or is it 35? One of those. The gauge read 21.something, and it's consistantly 1 mpg higher when I calculate it by hand at fill-up time. Cool, huh? I love that truck. Love it so much that I don't drive it anymore... :confused:

OK, that makes some sense... according to my Odo, I got 450 miles out of my last tank of fuel & I'm expecting 500 from this one, but I have a 26 or 27 gallon tank. My computer currently reads 18.9 MPG average. I'm willing to bet that reading is on the low side though, since my Speedometer is off by quite a bit, (7 off @ 65 MPH!) No wonder I'm always passing people on the freeway! :eek:

Since I got the truck, I've had a bit of a lead foot... :D . Now a days, I drive like my grandma, trying to squeak the best mileage out of it I can. It's hard keeping your foot out of the throttle when it's soooo tempting to hear that turbo whine... :cool:

Oh yeah... almost forgot... diesels suck! :mad2:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Greg said:
OK, that makes some sense... according to my Odo, I got 450 miles out of my last tank of fuel & I'm expecting 500 from this one, but I have a 26 or 27 gallon tank. My computer currently reads 18.9 MPG average. I'm willing to bet that reading is on the low side though, since my Speedometer is off by quite a bit, (7 off @ 65 MPH!) No wonder I'm always passing people on the freeway! :eek:

Since I got the truck, I've had a bit of a lead foot... :D . Now a days, I drive like my grandma, trying to squeak the best mileage out of it I can. It's hard keeping your foot out of the throttle when it's soooo tempting to hear that turbo whine... :cool:

Oh yeah... almost forgot... diesels suck! :mad2:

don't you have the long bed, quad cab?

It should be a 35 gallon tank :confused:

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
I'm not trying to piss anyone off, I was just trying to point out some of the things that bother me, like how noisy they are, it doesn't bother me.

The glow plug thing, the reason that bothers me, is if it is not taken care of (used truck) then ya, it takes a while for it to start, remember I worked at a dodge dealership, I saw many diesels come in, I had to wait 5 minutes for one of the wait to start lights to turn off... So, that's all I'm saying.

You guys pointed out bad things about gas engines, so I was pointing out bad things about diesel engines, every type of engine has it's pro's and con's... You guys all get really defensive over something really silly!

To tell you the truth, when I get back from my mission, I do want a Dodge Ram cummins, but I want one of the 600 ft pound torque engines (The new HD engine that came out this last year and is replacing the older cummins)

You guys don't get it, I'm not anti diesel, I'm just showing the other side of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.