Extreme Scrambler Makeover

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Jacey, "I saw a really cool Jeep today"
Me, "Oh ya? what'd it look like?"
Jacey, "It was longer and lime green. It said Freakshow II on it."
Me, "haha, that's Brett. I bet he was gettin his exhaust done"

She works down on about 90th S. and &th E... so i assume you were headin to that exhaust shop just up 7th. I've also seen Tim R's beast 4runner there.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Brett,
I am back in town now and I have the horn parts you need, the boot, mirror brackets and gauges. I can help with any electrical issues (if you want help). Your guages may be fine it could just be the wiring. I could tell you really quick with my volt/ohm meter.

Brett,
I am back in town now and I have the horn parts you need, the boot, mirror brackets and gauges. I can help with any electrical issues (if you want help). Your guages may be fine it could just be the wiring. I could tell you really quick with my volt/ohm meter.

If you can help me check the gauges, that would be great. I've verified the wiring continuity from the sensors to the gauges with my multimeter. I grounded the sensor lead to the oil pressure but it didn't do anything. The power lead has power.

I hooked up a manual temp sensor...and it barely budged today when I was driving it around. I had all 6 fans going though (2 sets of 3). I'll turn up the thermostat on the 2nd set and see what happens.

Holy Cow!!! I attached the ram assist today and it freakin' ROCKS!!! I can turn the wheel with one finger with the rig sitting on pavement!

Jacey, "I saw a really cool Jeep today"
Me, "Oh ya? what'd it look like?"
Jacey, "It was longer and lime green. It said Freakshow II on it."
Me, "haha, that's Brett. I bet he was gettin his exhaust done"

She works down on about 90th S. and &th E... so i assume you were headin to that exhaust shop just up 7th. I've also seen Tim R's beast 4runner there.

That's cool!

If I was on 7th with the Green, that was Friday and I was heading back from work the day I picked up the Green from Meineke (on 33rd & State).

Oh...and tell her thanks! (for the "really cool" part)

Last edited:

Bart

If you can help me check the gauges, that would be great. I've verified the wiring continuity from the sensors to the gauges with my multimeter. I grounded the sensor lead to the oil pressure but it didn't do anything. The power lead has power.

I hooked up a manual temp sensor...and it barely budged today when I was driving it around. I had all 6 fans going though (2 sets of 3). I'll turn up the thermostat on the 2nd set and see what happens.

Holy Cow!!! I attached the ram assist today and it freakin' ROCKS!!! I can turn the wheel with one finger with the rig sitting on pavement!

Wow, it's going to be weird wheeling with you. You'll have steering, and fuel injection, and I'm guessing no fires. :rofl: It will be completely different.

Picked up a speedo cable, hood latches and steering column horn thingy today, and installed them tonight.

Took the jeep for a spin around the neighborhood, and played on the 2' snow piles in the church parking lot (good times). Finally got it up to 190*, but no hotter. I'm going to turn the thermostat up again and see what happens.

The check engine light kept coming on after about 5-10 minutes of running, each time I started it.

PROGRESS!!!

Get ready for inspection:
  1. mirrors - need bolts
  2. ebrake - mocked up, taking to Page Brake, ready on Friday
  3. mudflaps - half done
  4. fender extensions - will mount tomorrow or Thurs
  5. horn - needs relay but works
  6. bleed brakes again
  7. license plate - found in back of Excursion
  8. tranny floor plate - modified, just need to cover holes
  9. Get inspected - FRIDAY???
  10. Get licensed - see above
Get ready for operation:
  1. fix CJ oil pressure gauge - bought mechanical kind, install Thurs
  2. temp gauge (see above) - installed mechanical version
  3. leaks - ok
  4. connect hyd ram - WOW!!!
  5. oil cooler mounting - mounted
  6. spare tire rack upper hinge - on hold for now. Rack mounted, clearanced, ready for paint
  7. CB & antenna - this weekend
  8. hood latches - installed
  9. rear seatbelts (bolt in) - installed
  10. install soft top - Friday
  11. back-up light - installed
  12. rock lights - after EJS
  13. toggles - after EJS
  14. new fan belts
Fun stuff / final completion
  1. center console - Thurs
  2. stereo - this weekend
  3. soundbar - Friday
  4. amp - this weekend
  5. sub - this weekend
  6. 3rd seat - this weekend or after EJS
  7. ham & antenna - this weekend
  8. Rubicon rack - after EJS
I held off on the fugly fender extensions so my son Josh could get some pics.

These are from the "almost done" folder.

Attachments

• 100_0406.JPG
    100_0406.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_0411.JPG
    100_0411.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_0424.JPG
    100_0424.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_0400.JPG
    100_0400.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_0401.JPG
    100_0401.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_0402.JPG
    100_0402.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
WOW, that looks great Brett.

Thank you...and THANK YOU!!!

Tonight's installment (pun intended)

CV Saga...Shot down in flames!

After I blew up my 1310 CV a few years ago, I put in a 1410 and lived with the vibration...it kind of blended in with the rest of the rattles and clanks and was only bad when coasting. Not so in the new and improved version. So Weds when I went by 6 States, I talked to Eric and he assured me they could rebuild mine in one day...they even had the correct flange for my 205, and that flange would make it longer and help with the angle.

I fretted and pondered and fretted some more. The 1410 shaft works...but causes the vibration and kind of inhibits the kind of exploring I want to do with the Green...and makes those pavement miles unbearable. Not to mention the hard wear on the t-case and diff from the vibration. On the other hand, it's 3 bills that I don't NEED to spend right this second, and it does WORK and it's hella strong. Plus...I have a 9am appointment to get it inspected Friday morning.

I chose to gamble. I took them the shaft on Thurs morning. They asked me how long it needed to be and I said "this is the shaft that was in it, this is the length" and I showed them where it typically runs mounted up. True to their word they were done by 4:30 and I picked it up, along with the new output flange, seal, bolts, and even new bolts for the diff end.

I pulled the 1410 yoke (for sale, along with the 1410 end, 1.5" 16 spline) and seal and installed the new seal and flange. Then set the shaft up in there and installed the diff end. I began to see a problem...the shaft was 3" TOO SHORT!!! How in the world did that happen???:confused::confused::confused: These guys are the driveshaft experts. They can't get any more exact than having the freakin' shaft that was in it. They know how big the yokes are. Aaarrrgh!

Ian was glad his kids were inside, and I even taught myself some new words.

So...there's gonna be a Big Green Booger parked on a trailer in front of 6 States in the morning and hopefully it won't take to long to FIX the mistake.

After expanding my vocabulary, I went to Parent Teacher Conference for my two middle sons...they're doing great; it's pretty fun to be their dad.

Returning to Ian's, we knocked out the ebrake system, which I spent most of the last two days rounding up parts for. Let me just say this straight up: Page Brake and Riverton Chevy can pound sand:mad:. 6 States, LM Ford, and Jerry Seiner Chevy KICK BUTT!!!:):):)

We also made the blinkers work, and the horn, mounted mudflaps and the crowning touch: fugly fender extenders, ala mbryson and Home Depot Garden Center.:rolleyes:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just got a report from Brett re: his too short driveshaft. Six States fixed the problem by 10 am and even reinstalled the shaft for him. Brett reports excellent customer service. :D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I just got a report from Brett re: his too short driveshaft. Six States fixed the problem by 10 am and even reinstalled the shaft for him. Brett reports excellent customer service. :D

Good! All smooth, no vibes now?

RedJeep

My version of the story.

Thank you...and THANK YOU!!!

Tonight's installment (pun intended)

CV Saga...Shot down in flames!

After I blew up my 1310 CV a few years ago, I put in a 1410 and lived with the vibration...it kind of blended in with the rest of the rattles and clanks and was only bad when coasting. Not so in the new and improved version. So Weds when I went by 6 States, I talked to Eric and he assured me they could rebuild mine in one day...they even had the correct flange for my 205, and that flange would make it longer and help with the angle.

I fretted and pondered and fretted some more. The 1410 shaft works...but causes the vibration and kind of inhibits the kind of exploring I want to do with the Green...and makes those pavement miles unbearable. Not to mention the hard wear on the t-case and diff from the vibration. On the other hand, it's 3 bills that I don't NEED to spend right this second, and it does WORK and it's hella strong. Plus...I have a 9am appointment to get it inspected Friday morning.

I chose to gamble. I took them the shaft on Thurs morning. They asked me how long it needed to be and I said "this is the shaft that was in it, this is the length" and I showed them where it typically runs mounted up. True to their word they were done by 4:30 and I picked it up, along with the new output flange, seal, bolts, and even new bolts for the diff end.

I pulled the 1410 yoke (for sale, along with the 1410 end, 1.5" 16 spline) and seal and installed the new seal and flange. Then set the shaft up in there and installed the diff end. I began to see a problem...the shaft was 3" TOO SHORT!!! How in the world did that happen???:confused::confused::confused: These guys are the driveshaft experts. They can't get any more exact than having the freakin' shaft that was in it. They know how big the yokes are. Aaarrrgh!

Ian was glad his kids were inside, and I even taught myself some new words.

So...there's gonna be a Big Green Booger parked on a trailer in front of 6 States in the morning and hopefully it won't take to long to FIX the mistake.

After expanding my vocabulary, I went to Parent Teacher Conference for my two middle sons...they're doing great; it's pretty fun to be their dad.

Returning to Ian's, we knocked out the ebrake system, which I spent most of the last two days rounding up parts for. Let me just say this straight up: Page Brake and Riverton Chevy can pound sand:mad:. 6 States, LM Ford, and Jerry Seiner Chevy KICK BUTT!!!:):):)

We also made the blinkers work, and the horn, mounted mudflaps and the crowning touch: fugly fender extenders, ala mbryson and Home Depot Garden Center.:rolleyes:

Ok

If you see Brett today, give him a great big Green Boogery Kiss and tell him it will be ok.

So get this, You all remember the Drive Shaft talks of Tuesday. The spur of the moment should I fix it, yes no, what to get.

Well be pulled the trigger yesterday and 6 states rebuilt his drive shaft. They even told him that with the new parts the new shaft will be longer. So he takes in his old one and they put a new CV on it. Ready, Wait for it, Guess what?

THE NEW ONE IS 3 Inches too SHORT. Yup old Brett wasn't so pleased.

Oh well that didn't stop us from another 4+ midnight hours of work to fix the Blinkers, the Mud flaps, New EBrake brackets, and the UBBER GAY as GAY Weed Border plastic screwed to the under side of the TJ wheel flares. (Brett is the guy who wrote the law, and now his BGB looks pretty gay. I wish I had a picture.) Brett spent 7 hours running around trying to get ebrake parts and drive shafts yesterday.

So the story continues, Brett loaded the BGB at 7:00 am with plans to be at 6 states when they open. I am pretty sure he won't have coffee and donuts for them.

Then a 9:00 am appointment to get it saftey inspected. If all goes well the thing will be road worthy Today. But we are not done, tons of little stuff remains.

Ian

He still has SX'S?? Then there will be vibes:p

:rofl::rofl: At least the vibes are only coming from the SX's now. It's pretty funny watching it on the dyno, bouncing up and down from the cinderblock-like tires.

Yup, 6-States got 'er done and made it right. :D:D

And now...it's licensed! Hooray! Uber-gay, mbryson-inspired extenders can come OFF! (it worked though, good idea, and super cheap)