Extreme Scrambler Makeover

I love fixing up scramblers and can even bring some spare parts, send me a PM and I'll come help.

Cool...what kind of parts?

I know that we need some hood latches. Also, still needing a light gray back seat (CJ or YJ) Need front seatbelts...rear too.

This saturday we're gonna try and get the front bumper/suspension stuff done, and hopefully engine mounts. WooooHOOOOO! Go away snow, I've got a tranny/tcase to pressure wash and wire brush!

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Cool...what kind of parts?

I know that we need some hood latches. Also, still needing a light gray back seat (CJ or YJ) Need front seatbelts...rear too.

I have a bunch of odds and ends left over from my Scrambler build like hinges, windshield frame and glass, roll bar, dash with some instruments, glove box, seat belts, electrical parts, starter motor, glove box door, visors, rear view mirror, wiper motors, jack mounting plate, air intake covers, master cylinder, power brake unit, shocks, spring plate mounts, AMC V8 water pump, lights, wiring harnesses, custom bumper, and other stuff that I can't think of at the moment. Do you work on it on weeknights ?

Last edited:
I have a bunch of odds and ends left over from my Scrambler build like hinges, windshield frame and glass, roll bar, dash with some instruments, glove box, seat belts, electrical parts, starter motor, glove box door, visors, rear view mirror, wiper motors, jack mounting plate, air intake covers, master cylinder, power brake unit, shocks, spring plate mounts, AMC V8 water pump, lights, wiring harnesses, custom bumper, and other stuff that I can't think of at the moment. Do you work on it on weeknights ?

Woot! I bet BC would have liked that windshield frame and glass rather than resurrect mine. Same with the dash.

Seat belts, definitely! And anything else for the body. The drivetrain in mine is all chevy. What kind of jack mounting plate?

Custom bumper? Front or rear? Got pics? We're about to fab up a prerunner type front bumper. Ian/Russ made the rear bumper already.

We haven't worked on weeknights yet...but I'm sure we will.

Here's some pics of BC's magic applied to the dash. The cage has some funky bends that caused interference with the dash.

Attachments

• Joe's Jeep 2 028.jpg
    Joe's Jeep 2 028.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Joe's Jeep 2 027.jpg
    Joe's Jeep 2 027.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Joe's Jeep 2 029.jpg
    Joe's Jeep 2 029.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Joe's Jeep 2.jpg
    Joe's Jeep 2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 21
In between BC's painting sessions on the body, EZ towed it over to his place and applied Durabak liner to the inside of the tub. He especially enjoyed wrestling with the roll cage. Freakin' Sweet!

Attachments

• Durabak 1.jpg
    Durabak 1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Durabak 2.jpg
    Durabak 2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 47

Bart

Note the narrowed glove box to make room for the roll bar, and he made the lid to match. That BC is a magician.

MAGIC! BC is guilty of some truly amazing stuff on this project...going WAAAAY past the extra mile. His efforts (and everyone else's) to make it so nice have been a real inspiration for me to want to finish the job in the same manner. I'm completely stoked to get this thing on the trail.

In an upcoming post, I'll tell a little about what is planned.

Here's some pics of the first work party after the presentation. Our goal was simple: cut the fangs off the new frame, and gut the freakshow. Gutting the freak was relatively easy, though the rust was pretty stubborn in places. The fangs on the other hand...check out the pics. The plasma cutter gave it a good start, but Russ eventually had to pull out the big guns, and use a cut-off saw. Yes, that is 1/2" plate!!!

Attachments

• defang.jpg
    defang.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 21
  • defang1.jpg
    defang1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 29
  • defang1a.jpg
    defang1a.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 27
  • defang2.jpg
    defang2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 24
  • defang3.jpg
    defang3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 13
  • defang4.jpg
    defang4.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 18
  • defang5.jpg
    defang5.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 13

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Woot! I bet BC would have liked that windshield frame and glass rather than resurrect mine. Same with the dash.

Seat belts, definitely! And anything else for the body. The drivetrain in mine is all chevy. What kind of jack mounting plate?

Custom bumper? Front or rear? Got pics? We're about to fab up a prerunner type front bumper. Ian/Russ made the rear bumper already.

We haven't worked on weeknights yet...but I'm sure we will.

Here's some pics of BC's magic applied to the dash. The cage has some funky bends that caused interference with the dash.

The jack mounting plate is for the stock jack that mounted on the front fender inner wheel well. The bumper was a rear bumper, 2x4 inch tube tapered on the ends. What you are doing looks great.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Aw shucks, it was nuttin.....:D

It's actually been kinda fun workin on someone elses junk. When I screw something up, it's really easy to just laugh it off.:rofl:

MAGIC! BC is guilty of some truly amazing stuff on this project...going WAAAAY past the extra mile. His efforts (and everyone else's) to make it so nice have been a real inspiration for me to want to finish the job in the same manner. I'm completely stoked to get this thing on the trail.

In an upcoming post, I'll tell a little about what is planned.

Here's some pics of the first work party after the presentation. Our goal was simple: cut the fangs off the new frame, and gut the freakshow. Gutting the freak was relatively easy, though the rust was pretty stubborn in places. The fangs on the other hand...check out the pics. The plasma cutter gave it a good start, but Russ eventually had to pull out the big guns, and use a cut-off saw. Yes, that is 1/2" plate!!!

Aw shucks, it was nuttin.....:D

It's actually been kinda fun workin on someone elses junk. When I screw something up, it's really easy to just laugh it off.:rofl:

Laugh as much as you want, man!

Here's the disassembly pics...With the gusto in attacking this thing, you'd think that maybe they wanted to get this off the trail.

Attachments

• disassembly1.jpg
    disassembly1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 37
  • disassembly2.jpg
    disassembly2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 31
  • disassembly2a.jpg
    disassembly2a.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 27
  • disassembly2b.jpg
    disassembly2b.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 26
  • disassembly2c.jpg
    disassembly2c.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 39
  • disassembly3.jpg
    disassembly3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 41
  • disassembly4.jpg
    disassembly4.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 37
  • disassembly5.jpg
    disassembly5.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 45
  • disassembly6.jpg
    disassembly6.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 37
Flannel shirt guy?

Ya, we put him to work...

Oh ya, someone wanted to see a pic of the gas tank...well, there it is!

Attachments

• debody.jpg
    debody.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 24
  • debody1.jpg
    debody1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 30
  • debody1a.jpg
    debody1a.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 33
  • debody2.jpg
    debody2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 23
  • debody3.jpg
    debody3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 19
  • debody4.jpg
    debody4.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 12
  • debody7.jpg
    debody7.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 24
  • debody6.jpg
    debody6.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 22
  • debody5.jpg
    debody5.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 21
Here's some pics to show why my friends staged this "intervention". The frame was in sad shape when I got it, back in '96.

It grew up on a ranch near Morgan and had a snow plow attached to the front end for the first 15 years of it's life. One of the "boxed" frame rails was split, and it was all quite rusted. The body wasn't much better, but that was ok, since I planned on abusing it anyway.

Once I got it and slapped full-width axles and 38's on it, it's life didn't get any easier. The frame split and cracked in more places than I can count. Russ put quite a few welds on it over the years, stitching it back together between trail rides.

Attachments

• oldframe1.jpg
    oldframe1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 22
  • oldframe2.jpg
    oldframe2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 21
  • oldframe3.jpg
    oldframe3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 19
  • oldframe4.jpg
    oldframe4.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 16
  • oldframe5.jpg
    oldframe5.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 20
  • oldframe6.jpg
    oldframe6.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 16
  • oldframe7.jpg
    oldframe7.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 17
  • oldframe8.jpg
    oldframe8.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 24
  • oldframe9.jpg
    oldframe9.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 13
  • oldframe10.jpg
    oldframe10.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 28

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I remember your Scrambler from the summer trail ride in Richfield and feeling sorry for it. Mine was the blue Scrambler parked a bit north of where you were when we had dinner at the fairgrounds.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
please, please tell me someone cut that "cage" into a thousand pieces and deposited it in at least a dozen dumpsters so that it may never be seen again.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
I am suprised it has survived as long as it has. That scrambler was a pile when you first got it and did not improve. But hey, I guess the hay or grass or whatever was growing in the bed finally got mowed or did you just use round-up?