Hole in the Rock trail - March

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
There is another book written by David E Miller who was a history professor at the U that is THE reference book for the Hole in the Rock pioneer journey. The Undaunted book references it all the time. I have read both and both are good. I used to mow David Miller's lawn when I was a teenager and I wish I had gotten a copy from him then. His book is a very complete historical recounting of the journey using journal entries and personal exploration. We did the western half of the trail last year and want to do the east half someday.
I can't imagine driving a wagon down the hole.

Attachments

• hole4.jpg
    hole4.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 29
  • hole1.jpg
    hole1.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 26
  • hole2.jpg
    hole2.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 29
  • hole3.jpg
    hole3.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

midog

Is anyone bringing a tow rig and parking it at the trail head? I would like to go but I would have to bring my trail rig.

sixstringsteve

What time were you planning on leaving Thurs? If I can get my truck in order by then (Should be no problem) then I am in.

Not sure yet, I need to do some more planning. I expect to camp Thursday night near the airport at the beginning of the trail, so you could catch up with us later that night. I will probably end up meeting at cabellas around 6 pm on Thursday night. I'll keep you updated as I plan it.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
There is another book written by David E Miller who was a history professor at the U that is THE reference book for the Hole in the Rock pioneer journey. The Undaunted book references it all the time. I have read both and both are good. I used to mow David Miller's lawn when I was a teenager and I wish I had gotten a copy from him then. His book is a very complete historical recounting of the journey using journal entries and personal exploration. We did the western half of the trail last year and want to do the east half someday.
I can't imagine driving a wagon down the hole.

I have a copy of that book, it belongs to Dave (DAA). He let me borrow it a couple years ago and I read it before my first HITR trip... I believe that he encouraged me to pass it onto the next person that was interested in reading the book. Sound right/good to you Dave?

Whoever calls it first can 'borrow' it... just pass it on within the group when you're done! I'll cover shipping too.

It's a bit dry at first, but eventually gets interesting. It's a great read for those about to travel the same path the Pioneers did, really makes you understand how much effort was put into crossing the land.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You've got a month, you can do it!

For me, that's not nearly enough time. I'll be shooting for the May trip with Mbryson. My time is extremely limited, and I would really like to trailer my Jeep in case I have any problems. That means I need to wire and paint my trailer in addition to what the Jeep needs.

4biker

Not sure yet, I need to do some more planning. I expect to camp Thursday night near the airport at the beginning of the trail, so you could catch up with us later that night. I will probably end up meeting at cabellas around 6 pm on Thursday night. I'll keep you updated as I plan it.

If that's the case I may just be a half hour behind, leaving from Orem. When we went down last May we just camped at the Goblin Valley turnoff and drove to the trail in the morning. The airport would be an good distance, if a little long for that late. I've got to save my nickels and dimes to get re-geared for this trip.

4biker

Is anyone bringing a tow rig and parking it at the trail head? I would like to go but I would have to bring my trail rig.

I didn't see a response to this yet. At the halftrack, there's a lot of room for trailers and tow rigs to park. It's about a mile or two from the main road. That's where the UTV's, ATV's and trailered rigs unhook. In other words, I wouldn't worry about it.

Westernhunter

I am in for this trip, if there is still room. We have been trying to get down there for the last couple of years, but it just has not worked out. Anyone else bringing the better half?

Westernhunter

I have a Cherokee. 5.5" lift, 33x10.5 BFG. ARB rear only. 4:56 gears. Some other junk.
It's a 2001. I just need to fix some oil leaks and figure out some of my DL vibes and I'm ready to go.