Hole in the Rock trail - March

sixstringsteve

sweet. nice to meet you! You should post up in the "introdcutions" part of the forum so more people can get out and meet you. There's definitely room for you, we're happy to have you come with us.

4biker

I have a Cherokee. 5.5" lift, 33x10.5 BFG. ARB rear only. 4:56 gears. Some other junk.
It's a 2001. I just need to fix some oil leaks and figure out some of my DL vibes and I'm ready to go.

I've had two 99 and one 88 cherokees but never built them very well compared to yours. I think they're super capable Looking forward to seeing you on the trail

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
WesternHunter is a cool chap. And if we decide to do this instead of Moab, it will be my wife and the 2 dogs. For those who have done it, would my 4x6 trailer on 31's suit the trail for hauling supplies? I'm thinking that it would be nice to have my trail spares and equipment out of the way, plus I would rather not store gas in the Jeep. I may even have my RTT built by then.

radred92

I'm interested in going. Glad to see some other girls will be along, too. I've been there before, but it is worth going again.

I just need to make sure the budget will cover it. I may be eating Ramen all 4 days. :D

sixstringsteve

I'm interested in going. Glad to see some other girls will be along, too. I've been there before, but it is worth going again.

I just need to make sure the budget will cover it. I may be eating Ramen all 4 days. :D

Good, my wife will be glad to have another girl along the trail.

sixstringsteve

Wait, you know this means camping, right? :D. I'm not even a little bit worried about it since you're such a good driver. Which Sami will yu be bringing?

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
My yellow one that is now camo.. Or I might talk my BIL in to going and take his extended samurai.
I need to build my new rear end and install my new 15 gallon gas tank.. I think I might have to re seal my t case also. All of which I could do in a coupl nights. And I need to get the safety done so I can license it.

R0ckStar

Rock on, be strong
I'm probably a go for this trip. Sounds like another great destination Steve! Got everything on the req list except for sliders. I'll see if I can get something done before then. I have the dual side exhaust so I'm a little worried about those if it gets too crazy.

4biker

When we did *most* of the trail last year we went over some pretty rough stuff and I never touched my sliders, and only bonked my little tinfoil tranny skidplate one time. That was on 32's. Those videos show a bunch of stock ifs liberties going through so I think damage will be a matter of driving. My little pregnant wife is hopeful to come too, but a long section of the road is ROUGH so it will depend on if it's warm enough for her to get out and take pictures and walk alongside. Didn't Kurt do this with a trailer?

sixstringsteve

I'm probably a go for this trip. Sounds like another great destination Steve! Got everything on the req list except for sliders. I'll see if I can get something done before then. I have the dual side exhaust so I'm a little worried about those if it gets too crazy.

I'm thinking you'll be fine. Your rockers are plenty tall and out of the way. But you'll need sliders one day anyway, this might be a good excuse to get 'em :D

jeffe03

I would definately have interest if there is still room. I did most of the trail last year with 4Biker. I'm good to go except for a locker, but I was able to get through everything we did without needing to use a winch or strap. I need to confirm my schedule, but pencil me in!

sixstringsteve

There's still room. If you're familiar with the trail, I'll let you decide if your rig is capable enough or not. I just wanted to give a recommendation for those who aren't familiar with the trail.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I've never run this before, and wondering if a stock FJ cruiser with the locker ofcourse, could run this with no damage. or if we would be better off bringing the 4Runner?

sixstringsteve

I've never done it before, so my info is not the greatest. From the research I've done, it may be possible to complete the trail in a stock FJ (with sliders) with no damage, but it's not likely. I'm going to stick with Greg's opinion of 33's and a locker, or close to it. Since you have a rig that can handle this trail no problem, I highly recommend you bring it (the 4unner). It will make it a much more pleasant trip for everyone.

This run will be nowhere near as easy as last month's at the san rafael swell.

Caleb

I don't think you'll use sliders on this trail...but you will scrape your bumper, especially if you're not lifted or not lifted very much. When we ran this trail, Russ took his LJ which, at the time, I believe had no (or very little) lift and no locker. It made it the whole way, but the bumper drug quite a bit. With a large-ish group, I think sticking with the requirement of 33s and a locker are a solid choice. You'll waste too much time getting guys through obstacles if you don't. That's my $0.02 :)

lhracing

I don't think you'll use sliders on this trail...but you will scrape your bumper, especially if you're not lifted or not lifted very much. When we ran this trail, Russ took his LJ which, at the time, I believe had no (or very little) lift and no locker. It made it the whole way, but the bumper drug quite a bit. With a large-ish group, I think sticking with the requirement of 33s and a locker are a solid choice. You'll waste too much time getting guys through obstacles if you don't. That's my $0.02 :)

I agree with Caleb on the 33’s and a locker being a good choice. My son took is Tacoma with a 3” lift with 33’s on the trail and I only needed to strap him once, across the obstacle below on the way out. He did however add a few new scratches on the front and rear bumpers.

64988_1658478868773_1441188324_31757365_7218029_n.jpg

Last edited: