Hole in the Rock trail - March

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I've never done it before, so my info is not the greatest. From the research I've done, it may be possible to complete the trail in a stock FJ (with sliders) with no damage, but it's not likely. I'm going to stick with Greg's opinion of 33's and a locker, or close to it. Since you have a rig that can handle this trail no problem, I highly recommend you bring it (the 4unner). It will make it a much more pleasant trip for everyone.

This run will be nowhere near as easy as last month's at the san rafael swell.

Well I don't want to be that guy so I'll plan on the 4runner, always nice to have an extra winch on the trail anyway. Just wanted to check i'm itching to get the FJ on a trail, but hard pressed to talk 84 4runner into it since it's her baby :D I really really hope I can make this trip. I want to meet a lot of you and I think it will be a blast.

sixstringsteve

Am I correct in assuming this section of trail is easier than hell's gate?

505530340_va65h-X3.jpg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'm really interested, any spots left ?. I'll be running a 4-dr Rubicon, 2.5" lift with stock 32' tires, is that sufficient ?

-Eric

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
30" tires for sure:D 33" tires are over rated..... Make it a challenge..... Bring it on....... No front drive shaft..or maybe the whole trail with rear disconnect flipped.. Makes for awesome front wheel burnouts...

Getting exited enough to actually think about taking the samurai over to the shop..

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I just put in my leave request and I should know for sure when I come back to work on Tuesday. I will be running this on 32" tires but I'm sure with lockers front and rear I'm sure that won't be a problem.

Oh yeah forgot to mention my amazing driving skillz. See how I made skills gangsta, I really just want to be like JL Rockies deep down.

sixstringsteve

A whole mess of stock KJs made it through... they had good drivers though.

No stock KJ's allowed on this trip. Not that they couldn't do it, but with 10 or so rigs, but spotting 10 stock, or near-stock rigs who don't want damage through a trail really adds to the timeframe.

thefirstzukman is one of the best drivers I've seen, so I'm not even a little worried about him. He'll take his sami on 30's places most people on 35's won't go. Rubicons will do fine with the low gears and lockers (not sure how much bumper rubbing there will be). Thanks for checking in with your rigs guys. I'm not trying to be exclusive, I just want to make sure we have time for day hikes and stuff. I hear there are some amazing slot canyon side hikes on this trail, I'm excited to explore them.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
You're in! Glad you and your daughter can come. Be prepared to drag the rear bumper a bit.

I have an LoD front with Warn M8000 winch. Back is stock but I might remove the hitch receiver before we go (or maybe leave it on as a skid ). I'm most concerned about dragging the belly too much on this long thing. Overall, though its new, I bought it to wheel it, oh, and get me back and forth to work so I can pay for it...

SixString,
You met me and my daughter at the Noob run last month. I had the white 4-door rubicon. I've added a 2.5" Teraflex coil lift since then in hopes of gaining a little more belly room. And it gives me enough room for 35's when the stock 32's wear out..

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Mmmmmm I'm all in for hiking:D great combo IMO is wheeling and hiking.. It's too bad they won't let me in Zion's with my samurai.. There are some great spots in there I could wheel..

I'm jonesing for a good slot canyon hike.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I don't know why Jeep sold those jk rubis on 32" tires.. Every person I've wheeled with in one always ends up with problems.. 2.5" lift may help, if I owned one of those and was using it multi purpose I would drive it on the stockers and wheel it on something bigger.. Personally with their wheel base if I were doing anything more than expo stuff I would set it on 37" tires... I like that jeep makes a rig set up as a more capable trail machine... I just think they fell short on the JK.. Don't get me wrong they work well, they just sell them as more capable then they are.

The old TJ rubi was great and I was impressed where ppl were taking them. And a good driver would have no problems taking one in stock form through Pritchett canyon even.. Lockers and gears make a massive difference on any ride and if you can keep some rubber on the ground you can get yourself in a lot of places.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
The only complaint I have with mine is the breakover angle. With new skids and 35's you can gain 3" of belly clearance with no lift. Which is where I'm headed with mine.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
The only complaint I have with mine is the breakover angle. With new skids and 35's you can gain 3" of belly clearance with no lift. Which is where I'm headed with mine.

You have 29" tires on yours now?;) (3" tire bump gets you 1.5" more height)