Hole in the Rock trail - March

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Hmmmm... I'm interested, gonna check it out. Never thought about gaining clearance with new skids.. my humblest apologies.

Caleb

Am I correct in assuming this section of trail is easier than hell's gate?

505530340_va65h-X3.jpg

I've yet to see a picture that gives the chute justice. It's not a tough climb at all, but it sure is intimidating looking up or down it.

radred92

I'm offering a couple pics of myself on this trail last June, on the chute and also on the ledge posted previously. The chute is a blast...no problem at all. I have the shortest wheelbase for the Rubi (TJ model), 4" lift and 33's...I did fine. I will say people longer than me did hit their back bumper more than I did. :D

Overall, the lift is definitely important for the ledges and rocky spots. The ride is challenging enough to be fun without extreme...from sand to rocks to ledges to slickrock...it's a blast! You won't get bored, every mile is a new experience. And GORGEOUS country...if you like the desert, you will love this. The only 'sign of man' I saw for 3 days (other than fellow riders) was the boats on the water when we finally got to the end. :) Oh, and jet trails in the sky...I guess those count too...:D

hitr9.jpghitr1.jpghitr5.jpg

Looking down the chute:

hitr8.jpg

Trail shot:

hitr3.jpg

radred92

The old TJ rubi was great and I was impressed where ppl were taking them. And a good driver would have no problems taking one in stock form through Pritchett canyon even.. Lockers and gears make a massive difference on any ride and if you can keep some rubber on the ground you can get yourself in a lot of places.

I agree!!:D

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
For those who have done it, would my 4x6 trailer on 31's suit the trail for hauling supplies? I'm thinking that it would be nice to have my trail spares and equipment out of the way, plus I would rather not store gas in the Jeep. I may even have my RTT built by then

sixstringsteve

For those who have done it, would my 4x6 trailer on 31's suit the trail for hauling supplies? I'm thinking that it would be nice to have my trail spares and equipment out of the way, plus I would rather not store gas in the Jeep. I may even have my RTT built by then

Let's see some pics of it so we can make a better determination.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ

sixstringsteve

Would you feel comfortable taking it through rattlesnake? I don't know the trail enough to make a decision. If you've got spares and you don't think it'll slow the group down, its fine with me. You probably want to take it on a mild trail like rattlesnake just to work out the kinks. It would suck to drive all the way down there and find out your hitch doesn't work at certain angles and stuff like that.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
And you should probably get an exact head count going. If it is more than 5 or 6 vehicles I may stick with my Moab plans, I like my space and peace. You may want to set some ground rules for the event so people know what to expect.

sixstringsteve

And you should probably get an exact head count going. If it is more than 5 or 6 vehicles I may stick with my Moab plans, I like my space and peace. You may want to set some ground rules for the event so people know what to expect.

see post #1

We already have 8 rigs, so it sounds like it'll be too crowded for you. It's not an "event" and there really aren't any rules, other than to be respectful to everyone, have a good attitude, and tread lightly. I'm going camping, and I wanted to open the invitation to others who wanted to come.