Hole in the Rock trail - March

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
The wife bought undaunted last night... I hope to have time to read it too. Been looking at pictures also, looks like a real fun trail...

Are you going to lay out an itinerary? Just kind of wondering so we can make plans on work for sure.

If time allows I might get my trailer on the road to haul my gear, samurai doesn't allow for much gear.

sixstringsteve

Are you going to lay out an itinerary? Just kind of wondering so we can make plans on work for sure.

Yes, I'll set up an iteinerary with times and an outline of what's going on each day, including meals, short day trips/hikes, etc. It'll take me a week or two to get that rolling, but I'm working on it. I've been so focused on getting my rig ready that I've procrastinated the trip planning.

That being said, if anyone has any ideas for day-trips while we're out there, I would love some help with suggestions of what to do. I plan on camping somewhere near the airport Thursday night and starting the trail early Friday morning and heading out around 8 or 9.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

hm... the ferry says it's closed 'till 3/28/12. I'm going to have to make some calls tomorrow.

http://www.udot.utah.gov/main/f?p=100:pg:0::::T,V:2257,57245

In the event that the Ferry is closed, I'd like to cross via the Hite Crossing and camp Thursday night at Natural Bridges. It looks beautiful and I've never been there before. It's a shame we'll be crossing the Hite bridge at night, although we will be re-crossing it on our way back.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

A plan is starting to shape up (see post #1).

I'm looking for something to do on Sunday afternoon if anyone has any ideas. Maybe we can drive the 9 mile canyon loop in Price.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Sounds like Josh that bought your truck might be on board to go also..

His name on here is 84bluetoyota

I was just going to text you to see if he wanted to come. I hope he makes it. It'll bring a tear to my eye to see that rig again, but I'll be happy to see it getting used.

sixstringsteve

I'm thinking of moving the meeting time up a few hours so we won't be setting up camp at midnight. What does everyone think about meeting at Cabellas at 4 PM?

sixstringsteve

+1

I thought we would meet at the campsite before dark, not leave here at dark...

I have to put in at least a half day on Thursday, so I can't leave much earlier than 3. You guys are welcome to head down there before me and meet at the campsite if you'd like to get there before dark.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I have to put in at least a half day on Thursday, so I can't leave much earlier than 3. You guys are welcome to head down there before me and meet at the campsite if you'd like to get there before dark.

I'm torn, if I knew exactly where you intend to camp, I think I'd leave Thurs. morning, but if we leave at 3 or later, my daughter misses one less day of school.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm torn, if I know exactly where you intend to camp, I think I'd leave Thurs. morning, but if we leave at 3 or later, my daughter misses one less day of school.

I intend to camp at Fry Canyon Ruins Road (point "C" on the first map on post #1). However, I've never been there before, but I hear there are lots of places to camp in the area. We should all have cell coverage, so if we have to go a mile or two away, we can communicate it.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
So here's my plan... My daughter (Jessica) and I will leave Thurs. morning and set up camp. I plan to make a big pot of Chili to feed the rest coming in later. I would just like to get a head count to know how much to make. I'll probably make rice to go with it (it's a southern thing) but if you prefer something else, let me know. Also, I intend to bring my large-ish two burner camp stove that will be available for all to use.
The way I figure it, I'm a noob to wheeling and may need a little extra guidance, but this is a way I can pay back the extra effort....

-Eric

Last edited: